Windows 8 or 8.1

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I had Windows 8 on my six month old HP desktop. I downloaded Windows 8.1 which took an extremely long time, I have AT&T DSL, I'm trying to find if I do have Windows 8.1. On my previous operating systems I could click on MY Computer for the info. I clicked on THIS PC but am unable to find if I really have Windows 8.1. After spending many hours downloading I would like to verify that I have 8.1. I have installed a start menu that I downloaded from Stardock for $4.99.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

On the top tool bar click on Help, them about. Should tell you. Gene

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gene, I'll try that.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I couldn't find the help item. I used This PC, system properties, and found that my operating system is Windows 8.1. The long download was successful.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Are you doing this wirelessly or wired? If it is a very big download I would do it wired...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I downloaded Windows 8.1 through AT&T DSL which is a wired system. It did take a very long time and I let it run overnight. so far I haven't noticed any difference between 8.0 and 8.1, I just wanted to stay updated.
My six months old HP desktop crashed but was still under warranty. HP supplied the packaging carton and material through FedEx and it was sent to an HP repair center in Indiana where the motherboard was replaced. The process took about two weeks and I used a laptop while I waited for the return.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Just a general comment - the latest version is not always the best version. Do not feel the compulsion ot have the latest thing. Gene

I though there were minor tweaks between 8 and 8.1 (I have 8.1) on my Dell tablet so I can't speak about 8.0. Did you do a full download or just an upgrade? It does not seem like it should've taken that long unless it was gigabytes to download.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I did a full download. The fact that it was free led me to download the beast. I started the download at 7:50 PM on June 28 and it finished at 6:45 Am on June 29. No updates were offered. I was surprised that HP didn't install 8.1 when they repaired the computer. Since it ran overnight it wasn't a big deal but I won't do it next time that I'm offered a freebie, I'll search for updates.

It would be interesting to see how large it was and/or how slow AT&T slowed you down...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

My computer is a 64 bit unit with 8 Gb of memory and ! Tb of hard drive. I searched and found that Windows 8.1 size is 3.6 Gb's.

It isn't your computer that slowed anything down. It is the size of the file that was downloaded and your connection speed via your ISP. I'm on AT&T too and sometimes I wonder if they throttle some downloads. I've heard the cable companies will do this for heavy users.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm aware of the fact that it isn't my computer but the speed limit of ISP. Maybe they do throttle back because it was a very long download time. I have looked at cable and satellite connections. I had a bad experience with the cable company and satellite is too expensive added on to my satellite TV service.
At least AT&T DSL is a bit faster than dialup.

Yes, cable left such a bad taste in my mouth over 15 years ago that every time I think of giving it another try I remind myself why I left them and went with Dish Network (TV) and DSL (it was DirecTV DSL to begin with, then Bellsouth after DirecTV got out of that end of the business, and finally AT&T bought Bellsouth). Funny thing is AT&T owned the cable business when I got the brush off when I told them their modem was fried a second time within one year. First time was a lightning strike on a maple in our front yard and it took two weeks to convince them that their equipment was faulty. The second time they said it wasn't their problem and that is all it took for me to switch...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Overall I have the opposite view of some of those companies. I live in the middle of a wildlife area. The "boondocks" I tell everyone. OK, so I am only 1.6 miles from the nearest convenience store. But I had dial-up for most of my computer life. Slow and variable. Now I have DSL and it does not cost a lot. But, it still was varied - mostly I can tell when it just rained by the connection speed. Complained enough and they (Verizon) came out and laid a new underground cable from the nearest junction box to my house, new terminal box, new cable into house. No charge. Frontier bought out Verizon but I have a nice constant speed no matter what the weather or what the download or size. Could not be happier. Gene

That sounds great Gene. As long as your happy with your provider, you can keep your provider. HA!

Overall AT&T DSL has been pretty good. Sometimes my router gets lost or busy or whatever and so I reboot it and back to business. Once in a great while something will be on AT&T's side but usually fixed in a matter of minutes.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I also have been pleased with my AT&T DSL internet connection. I have been a subscriber for a long time and have had a problem twice. The arrived early the next day to locate the problem after they were called. They checked the junction box attached to my house and the buried cable leading to another box at the rear of my property. The first problem was in the box attached to the house and the second time a connection problem in the other box.

Banda Aceh, Indonesia

deleted for spam

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I have switched to Cox Communications for my internet, phone and television since I posted here. No problem with download speed now.

Good Deal Rocco! I may do that one day/year.

I've heard that all the ISP's offer fantastic deals but they are only for first timers. After the trial period is up, they jack up the prices and the only way to get another low offer is to quit that company and join another and switch back after the new company's trial period ends (GRRR!). Keep switching between 2 to 3 companies to keep costs low...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm paying Cox $152 per month for internet, phone and TV, all on cable. That is $10 per month less than I was paying for satellite TV, SBC internet and phone.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

For what it is worth, I downloaded and installed Windows 10 on my HP laptop that I got about 1 year ago. I said Okay, download 10. I went out and worked in the yard. When I came back it said - Install 10? I said Okay and went out and worked in the yard. I came back and it said welcome to 10, where are a couple of questions - I answered them and all went dark. I went out and worked in the yard. When I came back 10 was installed and my desktop looked just like it did when I started. So far, so good. All of my main programs are working and I can access the internet and my home network.
I was a sucker for a free deal. Sometimes free is too expensive, but I think this purchase is working out.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

PotEmUp
Thanks for you reply. I'm still trying to decide whether I should install windows 10.I may do that if I ever get AROUND TO IT!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What are the advantages of Windows 10?

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

I think the answer to 1lisac's question depends on what system you are on now. I was already on 8 and 10 works more simply. If you are on 7, you can get 10 to work much the same way as 7, so you get a free upgrade which extends the time before the put the brakes on, like they did Windows XP.
There are many articles out there about 10. This one does a pretty good job http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1000288/why-windows-10-is-better-than-windows-81 In #3 of this link is a window with light coming in on a bluish screen. I have that with my usual wallpaper and I have my program short cuts scattered around the desktop. I can use all the 'old' stuff from before. I use Chrome - I am sure their whiz bang new browser is wonderful, but I like what I am used to. So far all my 'old stuff' still works.
Here is a link to the End of Life for the version of Windows you are using: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle SO: A free update gets you 2 to 5 more years of Microsoft support for no cost. I don't think my computer will be doing what I want it to by 2025 and I will likely be ready for an update. Probably to my Dick Tracy watch that will do everything I want it to and it will plug into my 90"TV for a monitor and I will have some wireless keyboard that will work with it. The keyboard will have huge letters on it so my 80+year old eyes can see it.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm on 8 or 8.1. I've heard opinions going both ways. Thank you for the links I'll check them out.

I've usually updated when I wasn't happy with my current system (Windows ME was terrible so I was a Beta User for XP for $10 and never looked back). When 7 came along I took the leap but didn't do Vista. Didn't do 8 either but my wife bought me a Dell tablet with it 8.1 on it and since then have upgraded it to 10. Bought the laptop I'm on now with 10 already on it - overall it is good but there are some glitches on some apps/user interfaces. Upgraded my wife's laptop to 10 after I was satisfied with my new laptop with 10 on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.