July 2014 Hotter than a firecracker!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

It is hard on you when the storms wake you up and then you have to get up early to go to work. Glad you got some rain. I got 2 1/2 inches of rain...wowzer. Yard squishes, it will be a while before it dries out.

Well gonna go out and play in the mud...It is beautiful outside this morning.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

A living stone that died? I call it Home Depot store credit! I remember taking mine back for credit, it was a little hard to explain because it didn't look at all like the traditional plant. But, it was nearly 6 bucks I wasn't about to let it slide! lol Check out my May 24th, 2011 post that ends in post #..02
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177366/
Actually, the cactus next to it in the photo is a little bigger than that now but doing very well for the wrong climate, I just wish Living Stones weren't so picky. I remember the Desert Dome at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, NE was climate controlled like a desert. - I remember the flora (like Acacia) and animals and stuff in there was just stunning. -

Yeah, boy it has rained aplenty in the Kansas City metro area! The power went out briefly last nite at 1am from the storm. Glad to hear the rain made it to Stl.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Got more weeded and mulched. Need to repaint my garden sign my sister and husband made for me. It was a strange day, when sitting around it felt really cool out, but once you got moving around it really warmed up.

Seems the trumpet lilies are spreading everywhere, so I have dug up several and potted them up. Most are white but there are a few yellow ones.

Think I have a mole or vole again. Last time it ate daylilies and lilies I can't use poison because of the animals, I lucked out and my dog shortie finally got him the last time, not sure if shortie destroyed more plants or the vole/mole did.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Cukes producing like crazy. Looks like I'll be canning pickles this weekend. : )

Blackberries also in abundance and cherry tomatoes. I love this time of year!

Thumbnail by greenbrain
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow and wow.. Joyce your gardens are so pretty and neat.
Betty, I am jealous! We just have oodles of greenbeans, tomatoes and that is about it 'cept for the taters. HOPING TO GET SOME OF THE RAIN THAT IS HEADED THIS WAY.

Oh thanks Debra, but you know I am only showing you the good pics...rofl.

Wow you will be busy canning this weekend. My tomatoes haven't turned red yet, but I was late getting them in plus something is eating them green. I have never had that happen before it is taking bites out of them. ;(

Gonna be another good so I am out to get started weeding the gardens I haven't shown you all...rofl!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe Shortie is sneaking around and taking bites out of them. lol

I haven't harvested anything here at home yet. Maters still green and peppers not ready to be picked yet but getting there. Potatoes still going strong in their buckets so just waiting til the stems die on me before digging them up.

Well I think I figured it out....the chickens start the hole and I think the ducks with there big bills are taking big ole pinches of the tomato. Not positive but looking that way.

Nice again this morning, stopped for lunch.
Took a couple of pictures of stuff blooming.
Look at the size of this hardy hibiscus and this daylily...wowzer.
This is where I am working now, me and the vole.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Happ , Definitely a very pretty Daylily , you have there !!! Their a great flower... I'm stepping on soft Vole ground myself , lots of them this year ..
Here's A red Spider form Daylily . #'s1&2 Last years bloom was around 14 inches , it gets big some years
#3 Hyperion
#4 seedling of Hyperion , blooms as a multi star
Zinnia with Butterfly #5 as if you would not know that , lol

This message was edited Jul 10, 2014 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Wow you have some pretty daylilies also, nice double. What do you do about voles? Can't use chemicals because of dogs. Right now that flower bed in the above pic is where they are, I am digging out the grasses right now. Can't seem to get the dog to interested, but he has been sick. He is my dog with a heart condition. We have him on lacix but he goes back to the vet next week I think he is retaining more fluids again.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Happ I have never found a solution for voles ,, Besides the cat keeping them away from porch seedlings in pots in the spring.
Those things can dig faster than a machine ..!
Sorry to about the pet ,, So difficult when their not feeling well . To watch them remembering them playing , and wishing at times you had more energy to play along with them

Some odds and ends today kind weedy .. but hey , some years I have it , some I don't

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Ju do you plant zinnia seeds every spring or do yours return? I have never grown any from seeds before, just pots of them. Don't the voles eat your flowers? One year they devastated my daylilies and lilies.

Yeap grass and weeds are why I am ripping that flower bed apart! Literally.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Happ plant from seeds every spring yes I do , A few years some almost returned from roots . The zinnia is a true annual though , their roots won't finish making runner crowns , they do try though ...
Some years ,, last year or before ,, a entire row of Cornflowers , voles went right down the row , not one cornflower remained .. I gripped and was lip grinding for several days after that .
They run short of worms in the ground and everything becomes "Target Food "!!!.
Those and Chipmunks here are pain ...

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Debra, I live in town next door to the library, across the alley from our alderman, and down the alley from the mayor, so I have to keep things neat. I just let the inside of the house go! Nobody sees that, but us. LOL

I'm making dill pickles this weekend. I also need to make some blackberry jam. I took off this Monday for my hubby's 59th birthday, so that gives me a long weekend. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for him. Roast beef with mash potatoes and gravy are his favorite foods, and brownies for dessert. What he'd really like, I can't afford. (a new corvette)

Ju, sorry about your cornflowers.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I made an interest thread for a Fall RU. It's time to start figuring out if we want to do one this year and if so start making plans. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368146/

I plant my zinnia from seeds the year before, I like to keep some of the colors going every year.
I just told Joe last night he can have the alley ( it is good growing space) where the compost pile is.
Had my little helper come over and pull a few weeds, now Joe can spray round up and all that to make the nice green woody looking area turn into a flat ugly ground LOL

I throw my seeds out there to test germination, and I told him if he digs up the healthy cones and the obedient plants he can do what ever he wants. ( I think he wanted to plant melons out there but it might be too late)
My favorite flower is now a month old. I hope to see her this weekend.
Joanna told me she is ready for another mini vacation, I told her me too!
this is prairie petunia , vitex, elderbery, pandurata, and milkweed. All seeds from my adventures while driving to Arkansas and Missouri.
I am collecting as many natives as I can, since no one stands out and waters them all summer...( In the country that is)

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

More very beautiful gardens on the thread. Here a few from my yard today. Been busy getting ready for my daughters baby shower on sunday.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Very pretty pics guys. Natives are tough that is for sure.

Love the hostas one of my favorite plants. Think I am moving my hosts bed. I sm afraid the birch tree with its shallow roots is sucking the life out of them.

I was so tired last night I went to bed early. Now I am up before the sun! Ugh!

So Will must be enjoying the pool.he has been sort of quiet...lol gonna be hot and humid today.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi HG, I was up before 5 this morning too from going to bed early, but I've been on fb; until now. DG had a nice new fb post about urban/community gardening that I shared. : )

I also found an old flash drive and discovered tons of garden pics from 2010. I'll have to resurrect some of those pic here. It contained pics of my beloved plants that succumbed to the 2012 heat/drought; such as my lilac bush in full bloom. Botanical memories. ; )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've missed so much and am on the run.

Thought about everyone often!

Worried about you billy with all the tornados. Hope those DGK are doing good.. Hows the veggie gardens? I have a bunch of catalopes setting...so excited.

I hit Lowes and they had shrubs and perennials for 50 pct off. I wasn't going to buy anything but you know how that goes. I got some shrubs to put on the west side of the duck pen. They are deciduous and have little thorns so should let sun in the winter and keep the bad critters out.

HOT HERE!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes warm here today also. Very muggy, and starting to pitter patter rain now. The sky is pretty dark looking. I started to take Gracie for a walk got pretty far down the sidewalk then it started raining a little harder and we came back home.Then of course it stopped. Oh well am really tired any way. Could not sleep last night got up at one thirty. Prolly be going to bed early tonight I am sure. Sunday the 13th is my daughters baby shower. We are all so excited about this granddaughter.

Oh that is why you couldn't sleep! lol....won't be long and you will have a baby to play with. The shower is always so much fun to see all the wonderful things.

Here is my 'thank you' from my niece for the baby gift. I had ask her NOT to send me a card because of cost and the baby had to go back to the hospital (but is home now and everything is fine), and I know my niece was exhausted so she said I won this battle and sent me this. Which is the best THAN YOU I have ever received! The baby is 11 days old!

Thumbnail by happgarden
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

only muggy here ... Your all making babies , me , I'm making plants .. hmmm . I know there's hope and humor in that somewhere.

Last years red leaf Yarrow I lost ,, But here is a try by accident or coincident from Echinacea .
All grown from seeds , some mine some yours here .
If the plant stays the same , a new Echinacea (oops ! yes #3 A new one ?)
How about that for growing from seed?
I stumble shuffle with growing from seeds , and new plants I get is why , I don't always know or remember how to do this (new plants ) But when much younger , I did this also , (The pink-leaf orange tree ) that was introduced two years after I had one decades ago is one of my stories ,,,lol

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 8:27 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I'm fine, thanks. Just have been busy. I have been swimming in the pool a little actually, it's gradually getting warmer. A cool front is coming I'm afraid though. Glad to see your niece's baby is fine, happ. My friend and me just watched Gravity on hbo, neat movie. Nice pics everyone.
Will

Ju that 3rd pic is alot different flower than the first two by alot.
Very interesting.

Will I think down in the 50's at night is going to do in the swimming....at least it would for me. Today it would of felt WONDERFUL. I don't think my tomatoes and cantaloupes are going to like the cold front coming...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Happ , most of the time I miss a few things , I am sooo glad that the Baby is better ,, My intent of the hope part above ,,
We always hope the youngsters grow for wellness with a hopeful and productive and interesting future ,, The young deserve a full life ,,

Happ it will likely make he tomatoes ripen faster and the melons slower ,, Sometimes it makes the lopes fall though ,, Watermelons too .

It is an interesting motive to grow from seed , I like it , I always have since very young ..
I remember some educating about seeds , plants, and the like ,, Always had to categorize , it gets overwhelming ,

I don't grow hardly anything from seeds. I don't have much success but maybe because I was working but I would forget about them and they would dry out or grow and then die because I forgot to water them. I have started some seeds and I am fingers crossed trying to take care of them properly.

Oh Ju, I was just explaining why I hadn't expected a proper thank you from my niece so I could show off the great picture of her.

I don't want no babies, I say if it eats I don't want it...lol My flowers are sooo easy compared to almost everything else.

I am seriously thinking about covering the cantaloupes at night. They are doing so good right now.

we grew canteloupes in fields every summer, I hated going out there and hoeing all the time, checking for bugs and sweating. We had a truck with us kids and melons in the back on the intersections of the city here and there and sold them for a quarter. we were always covered in melon juice , watermelons, gold and red, canteloupes and cukes. I don't remember ever seeing any thing covered back then. I am glad you have melons to worry over, I'd be checking them every hour.
Your great niece is beautiful, Joyce and I see her in your life being enriched by each other.

I love to grow from seed. I plant seeds every week all year long, some go and some fail, but I always plant seeds. I give away or send off the results most times, after I've seen it as far as I want to see it go, if I have a mother plant, I will let the baby go. Just planting a seed and then being able to have that turn into a plant is like a successful experiment for me. I love the milkweed that you have as an avatar, Ju. Please save me some seeds of that one and I can send you seeds of pink, white, or orange or purple. I do have a few tropical milkweeds, but Love the perennial ones the best.
Betty I would love to see your 2010 pics. Isn't it fun to see how areas have changed in your yard thru the years and also what passion you have that year for growing. I have gradually made flower beds out of weedy grass, everywhere I wanted, and now the grass wants to go back home.
I sure wanted to go swimming this weekend, But spending time with my children in segments thru out the day is priceless. My 43 yr old ( the new mom) misses her swimming time and rafting time right now. But, like we agree, summer will come again, baby will not be 4 weeks old ever again.
I do see a difference in those coneflowers. I love getting crosses. this little flower is my favorite "cross" right now.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

The babies are so sweet. Happ what an adorable little sweetheart. Debra so cute too. We will be seeing our first gbaby in September. As you all know. Lol. I am excited about her.

Ronna, it is exciting for you. I am excited for you. We are all so blessed.

Love the pic Debra, what a sweetie!

We will see how I do with seeds. We got rain in the early morning, glad about that the ground was starting to crack which is strange because we have gotten rain about every 3 days.

Well out to play for awhile.

Keep posting pics I LOVE them. Fun to go look back at old photos of the gardens and how they have changed.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

See what's happening in north-central upper Midwest.

#1 Pumpkins
#2 Tomatoes
#3 Muskmelon
#4 Zucchini & Cucumbers
#5 Cabbage & Peppers

More later.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens

WOW now that is a garden...holey cow. I take it you are not drowning! thank goodness.

I have a question and I bet you will be able to answer them. I am growing cantaloupes and they are doing great, they keep growing and growing and growing. Do I need to pinch the tips so they will produce more fruit or just let them keep going. I have a zillion blooms and right now about 5 big cantaloupes. Would like to see more fruit.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Let them do their thing. They will put on more fruit without help.
Anytime you mess with the vines, there is a good chance of getting disease.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all! Busy here too. Getting ready to pick more green beans while making hubby's special birthday dinner; though his birthday is tomorrow. We just like doing the special cake/dinner stuff on Sunday evening while Chloe is here. She enjoys it more than we do. ; )

Hotter than a firecracker here with lots of humidity!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I find this all to be overwhelmingly delightful .. !!!
Cutest babies , nicest gardens ,, Goodness ,,^_^
Small cucumbers and Watermelons here , Tomatoes I got in late .. There's a bloom gallery out there though ,,
JW Always I save a few seeds , and you look like a happy couple with a newborn ,, That is remember when photo For Granny , Grand pa pa Makes you feel good doesn't it ,, sooo cute ...

Humidity is exasperating here !!! Temperatures are nice , but, oh my ,,,Steam bath anyone ?

yeal I just came in again, seems I can only go ut in spurts, then I have to come in and wipe down and cool off.. *sigh* cut down the neighbors wild grape trying to eat my beautiful climbing rose ( My Angel) .. now there is a pile of cutback limbs and vines and stuff waiting for me to go take it to the compost pile.
Betty , Happy birthday to your hubby, sounds like you are spoiling him good. I bet Chloe will love it too.
Joyce, we used to have gardens ( acres) like the one Country Gardens posted, so glad I don't now.
Joe just hurt his back digging up one potato plant of yukon golds for me to put in the pot roast, poor guy. Just once I wish he would take something for it, but he tells me nothing works. He won't let me put a heat pad or anything on it, so I just have to hear him suffer, I feel helpless :P

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.