July 2014 Hotter than a firecracker!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh today or any day I should be weeding I suppose ,,lol Not much of that today ..
Potted a germinated lemon tree seed , the trifoliate oranges have not germinated yet .

and one little tiny Bamboo root shoot , Fargesia carea .
I think this Sunday I will just plain old sit and watch ,,lol
Oh yes and my kiddie nature being what it is , one little Monarch caterpiller in a screen cage to give a few leaves too ,,, I'm too much the youngster , too much I want , Or "but I don't want too" lol

Oh and yes , JW Someone other has pain and we feel helpless , it is their pain though , and they have to do what they can for that especially if they don't want help ..
Problems with everything when it comes to Backaches . pain pills wear off . they hurt more , stretch they hurt more , sit they hurt ,, oh boo ..

This message was edited Jul 13, 2014 4:38 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh thanks CG, that is the best news, leave it alone, that I can do...LOL

I am doing what you should be doing on a hot humid day, eating a very sweet juicy watermelon, it is so good! I am about to be sick. I have been repotting, picking up sticks in the shade! Everything in the shade.

I really sort of have a mess. Pretty sure I need help, lots of help, crews and equipment like p allen smith help. I am not going to get done by the time frost hits.

Well like you Debra back out to get all sweaty and hot.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

While you guys were gardening I was camping and floating. lol. And sleeping on a hard as a rock ground because I forgot my air mattress. As a result (at least I think this is the cause) I have bruises all up and down my spine and a big swollen bruise right in the middle.

To make matters worse I forgot an extra set of cool weather pjs AND forgot a warmer blanket. lol. I had a cotton blanket but when temps dip to 50s and 60s it's not warm enough. So while I had a blast I was both kicking myself and shivering at night. lol. Best part is I wasn't the only one who forgot stuff. lol. Everyone else forgot or misplaced stuff.

I started calling the weekend the "Misplaced Weekend". lol

I have pics but they aren't on the computer yet and tomorrow I gotta go put some on a CD for some of the friends that went.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Here is 2 Hall's Honeysuckle starts that I made from layering some runners of the big one.
This is the whole thing. pic #2 I am trying to even it up more on that sparse side of the arbor.
That's them about 2 feet up on the right or thin side! That Hall's Honeysuckle is getting ready to bloom for the second time this year! Those white trays on the ground are some more layerings that I'm in the process of waiting for.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Yeah, the fifties at nite will be chilly to say the least, geez, what do we do, turn the heat back on?!
It's usually warm or hot. I'm quite sure it will be firecracker hot soon enuff! I hope the winter isn't ridiculously cold though.

Yeow, CG, you are a crop harvester! That's alot of work and exercise.

I was watching pbs earlier, they had a show about the corners of Ok, Ks. and Mo.
It was about what past lead (mostly) mining and how it contaminated the ground and air quality there.
It was interesting, I didn't know about that and it's fairly close. - http://www.kdheks.gov/beh/download/Treece_Kansas.pdf Treece, Ks. was one of the most affected cities in that area, it has since been bought out by the epa.
Will

I've heard about it too. Been reading about it in Rural Missouri I think.

Love the arbor, it is looking really nice! I have a honeysuckle that is suppose to NOT be invasive. I looked it up so I think I am going to plant it by the pergola for shade.

The weekend you had Pepper is the one you will always remember...LOL Glad you had a good time. Wow down to 50 we were hot this whole weekend.

Well got a couple more daylilies labeled. Got a few more things transplanted. Picked up a ton of twigs from the birch tree out of the hosta bed.

We got about 1 1/2 of rain this morning. They said we are going to get more rain tomorrow morning. With so much rain I keep forgetting I need to water the plants under the porch!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
We have been so lucky to miss all the tornadoes. They've been 7 miles away in other little towns, but with no damage other than trees knocked over.
Grandkids are doing goo. Haven't seen them since the 4th.
Garden is doing good. I'm canning pints of green beans, made myself pickled beets and actually froze one tub of peas, LOL! I got a lot of spinach in the freezer too.
Smiling, I switched to cucumbers this year and they are really good. I think we're going to move the fence to a shady spot in the bed. Full sun just ends up wilting the plants when there is no rain.
Neat choice of shrub! Save the ducks!

Ronna,
What all did she get for the baby?

Oh Happ,
She is a darling! I'll bet you cried. I hope she continues to be healthy.

Ju,
It made me laugh!
Wow! I really like your coneflowers!

Will,
Did you and your friend get a pool?
Do you have any mosquitos? They are horrible here!

Happ,
I've heard tomatoes and peppers like warm nights and I haven't had many of those. So far we've picked 4 tomatoes, and peppers are just showing fruit.

Ju,
That's a lovely sentiment about children.
How cool to have a childhood interest!

Debra,
You sound like my Dad. They grew and sold melons in a field 2 miles from this town. They would strap them all over the car and drive to the next town to sell them too.
I wish I had time and a place to just start a lot of seeds. It sounds like fun. I do garden in spring, but have no time to nurture all summer.
Oh, 4 weeks old. How wonderful!
How adorable!!! So alert too!

Ronna,
September is my grandson's birthdays. It is closer than you think!

Bernie,
You've had a lot of rain too and I wondered how your fields were doing.
Everything looks fabulous!

Betty,
Happy Birthday to your husband! Awesome that Chloe enjoys it so much. Make s the heart feel young :o)
We were hot in the sun, but the breeze was nice yesterday.

Debra,
Smiling over having to tend the neighbor's wild growth. I walk my property line making sure my grapes won't bother my neighbor trying to mow.
Aspirin and walking out a bad back works best for us. I'm sorry for him.

Happ,
We're on our second melon :o)
When sticks are down I eliminate the largest first. Then I take a bucket around and grab the rest till I'm done. Do you have an old or dirty tree?

Bernie another question.
Does the scaring on the bottom of a watermelon indicate a sweeter melon, besides the medium yellow spot? We like ripe, but not overripe melons.

Aww Pepper,
I hope it didn't hurt till you were home, but that is too bad. You must have been really excited to run off without any provisions, LOL! You can bet no one will forget anything again!

Will,
Wow! The honeysuckle is awesome!
Mining is not good :o(

Happ,
I have Honeysuckle Blanche Sandman. It started dying out so we cut it back hard, but if I ever lose it. I'm trading it for a climbing rose.

Wow, caught up! I need to mow today so I will be using bug spray - ICK!!!

BillyP so good to hear from you. I was worried about you and all the tornatos going on up there. Scary scary.

Well didn't get the shrubs planted yet for the ducks, but I am rethinking this since I just read the article on the home page of DG. Seems I bought barberries, I did not know they were invasive and I really try to stay away from invasive, and I sure don't want something that will make cover for the mice. We watch that area pretty close because the ducks and chickens scatter food already and the mice like that. Course the chickens hate mice.

Woke up to dang early, my poison ivy was itching, or whatever it is. It is right where my glasses sit and down the side of my nose. Well it to shall pass, just not soon enough.

Only thing I have in my garden is tomatoes, a couple of peppers, and cantaloupes. The vegetable gardens are pretty weed free, but that is about it. My gardens as far as weeds go looks worse than they every have been. I have gotten lazy since I retired I guess. Course last year my nephew and great-nephew came and helped me weed for 2 or 3 days. Gardens were beautiful. Where I have weeded and nothing is growing I have put down cardboard and a bunch of mulch.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We could stand a nice rain, it's been a while.
We only go by the curlers on the vines. When one by the melon stem & 1 each way are dead brown, melon should be ripe.

CG is that for all melons or just cantaloupe?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That's for watermelons.
Muskmelon,(cantaloupe), the stem will come off easy when ripe. They will also be yellow.

Well still raining here. It has been raining at night and not messing up my day...lol I sort of cleaned yesterday because it was so HOT, sure don't want to do that 2 days in a row!

Took these pics yesterday. So excited I just bought it just a week or so ago

Thumbnail by happgarden
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

That is a beautiful stapelia. :)

thank you debra

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Happ,
So far we've stayed safe. It's very scay. Gets scarier every year!
I didn't know they were invasive either. Any out of the way place to plant them? Do the berries smell?
ROTFL!! I watched DD's chickens chase down a mouse and kill it. Then one ran off with it and DD said it would eat the mouse.
Blah! I hope the itching heals. I think DH got into poison sumac vine. It's like PI but he isn't allergic like me and it's not really spread. If I had it, I would have my arm in a bandaid from shoulder to wrist :o(
DH has been real good to weed or hoe the garden. He weeded today and I cut cabbage!! One beautiful head!

Bernie,
Cool advice on ripe melons.
Do you grow ''cantaloupe'' or ''muskmelons?'' In Iowa we grow ''muskmelons.''

Happ,
ROTFL!! The day it rained here I commented to DH that since I couldn't go outside, I guessed I could dust, then made a face!!
WOWZIE!! A friend of mine had a plainer bloom but that is beautiful!!!

I mowed today and it sure looks nice. The weather has cooled off and we had a nice NW wind. Really helped keep the skeeters off. We both weeded in flower beds. A bath felt good because I still had rolled up mosquitos all over me!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Muskmelons. Cantaloupes are those things the super markets sell.

This is from Wikipedia.

The European cantaloupe is lightly ribbed (sutured), with a gray-green skin that looks quite different from that of the North American cantaloupe.

The North American cantaloupe, common in the United States, Mexico, and in some parts of Canada, is actually a muskmelon, a different variety of Cucumis melo, and has a net-like (or reticulated) skin covering. It is a round melon with firm, orange, moderately sweet flesh and a thin, reticulated, light-brown rind

Happ, here is a list of alternative plants for the more common plants that are usually invasive.

http://grownative.org/native-plant-info/alternative-species/

we grew all kinds of melons. Oh I love them. You all that are growing them are so blessed.
I am growing flowers. so nice to hear from all of you. wish I go just hop on a bus and drive to each of your gardens.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What fascinates me , is , You can grow all that and still have a lawn !!! ^_^
Looks really Nice JW Very relaxing too !!!

Happ That is an interesting plant ,, But I hardly even know what it is , I had seen one years ago in a display back then ,, Garden show and all ...

If I am real lucky I might ,, get a watermelon from the garden , at least their setting anyway ..

According to dg barberries are not only invasive mice like to live under them with ticks and the ticks that spread lime disease. So I don't want the plants by the duck pens where there is already too much food for the mice. And yes my chickens will kill mice. My dh about fell over when he turned over something and a mouse ran out and the chickens went crazy! Freaky huh?

Your flowers are so pretty Debra. Bet it is nice just to sit and look around.

Sure is nice outside tonight.

Very pretty flowers Debra, lotsa work weeding. I got a few coneflowers blooming. pic #3

Here is the size of my pumpkin patch, it's pretty pathetic but it was free. I scooped up the walmart pumpkins from Halloween last year after they broke down and potted them, did they ever sprout! pic #1 In that pic you can see the Forsythia to it's right that the Forsythias at the RU came from, they were cuttings from it. My Butterfly Bush is really getting some bluish purple on it. - pic #2

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oh yes Billyp, we have a pool, but it's almost too cool to use it. We got in it Sat. but you don't really feel like splashing around or doing bellybusters or anything, it's too cold! pic #1

Hall's Honeysuckle is one of the most invasive Honeysuckles there is. It's like the vine version of the nasty old Bush Honeysuckle that is so vile. Where mine is at though is totally mulched with weed fabric under that..lol Here's a couple photos, back in the day I weedfabricked the snot out of that whole area. I know it don't last but maybe 2 or 3 years but it's better than nothing I suppose. pics 2 and 3 We're having a polar vortex in July! I saw on the news awhile ago that 195 million americans will have some kind of unusual weather condition affect them. Tonite it's forecast to go down to 53 degrees F. Today, they say broke a record low and a record high.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

wowzers, Will.. you gots a lot of work there .. *whew*
I am ready for a cool down.. it will kick start some things that have slowed down cuz of the heat I think.
I know u like honeysuckle will..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Yeah I do. Wow, red, yellow and pink Honeysuckles! Is one of them Trumpet Vine " Madame Galen"?

On that work, I accelerated all that weed fabric and everything back then because code-enforcement was on us. Apparently, all my weed fabric down and no mulch or anything over just looked like trash from afar. They haven't been on us since then, it still needs alot of tlc back there but it's at least 50% better looking than it used to be. For anybody that wants to feel good about their yard, get a load of these 2 pics from back in the day! lol - (That was before I repaired and painted that shed).

I've been under the weather quite a bit the last few days. I'm still alive and feeling better so I think I'll be alright. I vomited earlier today 6 times and couldn't sleep last nite from all the gastrointestinal discomfort.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

ugh poor you! feel better soon! Those are all honeysuckles.. I have two other ones, a yellow and cream, and a white, here is madame galen trumpet vine..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks! Oh, pretty red flower on that. I know you gave me a Trumpet Vine " Madame Galen" at the RU. I don't know if it was labeled, I might asking you if that's it, if this is it..lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pretty flowers all of you !!!

Will get yourself feeling better ! Sounds a fright ,,,

Been dragging here with med changes ,, cold here tonight also ..

JW has every plant known to gardening ,, lol goodness ...only picking a little , it is meant kindly .. A great gardener you are ,! only being clear ..

and Will I'm still reading and watching your projects !!! ^_^

Thanks ju. Yeah, the projects are never-ending. I'm not a fan of polishing a turd but that red shed looks 100% better today!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Will I know that phrase all too well , lol
I'm doing Bottle towers again ,, This time I will fill them with dirt , like I intended and forgot a while ago ,
A tomato plant catching up , cosmos yellow and zinnia

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Nice pics everyone. Got two more daylilies named, and have been adding more new soil. It will be cold in the morning for sure.

Getting ready for DGD coming Wednesday night.
Tonight we had a family dinner with the new baby niece. She is so tiny and so darn cute.

That's a neat cage for a tomato plant there ju, an old little stepladder. Now I know what to do with old stepladders, make a tomato cage out of it! Nice Cosmos too ju. My "deck garden" I'm afraid isn't going to work out. It just doesn't get enuff sun it appears. Even the Collard Green is leaning way over like it's trying to get more light. But the tomatoes aren't even setting very fast. Some of the tomato plants even look like they're on the way out. See that tomato plant in the Topsy Turvy planter? It looks like it's very unhappy, it is yellowish and leggy.

You sure like the Lilies and Daylilies happ. Tiny and cute, how I long for those days! Jk, she's a beautiful niece.

I did a little potting up of something Jw gave me at the Roundup, a Creeping Sedum. It has exploded in growth so I potted it up into a BIG hanging basket and it came up to the top of that and the red basket was empty of soil to start!- pic #2 and #3 I need to make rope hangers for that basket because it's HEAVY. A while back a plant fell from that basket when it broke from the plastic hangers, they don't really match the size of the basket.

Here is that stray cat we adopted getting a drink out of my Elephant Ears home. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Good pics Will I threw that would be, together from some junk , Wanted something that would sit still in storms .. A few wanna be Sawhorse jokes there .

Love the potted plants there , kitty looks the part , blends right on in ,,lol

Happ a couple Daylilly
A spider and one of my creations , colors off in the pics ,,A repeat I know ,,lol These are today though

3 Coneflowers blooming their buds off
4 a monarch drying it's wings this morning playing about the Honeyvine Milkweed on one of my not so decorative poles.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I have that sedum all over my yard. I love it!!

Love the spider daylilies. Wish I had some. lol. I really need to fill in my daylily bed and get vigourous ones in there.

beautiful garden pics everyone, I really love that sedum, it blooms in late spring, it will spread where ever the seeds or part of it drops.
Great pic of that butterfly, it is awesome, and I love the pic of the kitty.. cute!

Today after work I went outside to get something out of the car, saw something was drooping, stopped in my tracks to investigate and ended up transplanting the balsum and some coleus into another pot and then went to pick up my keys from the front porch and they were gone, so undid the pot thinking I must have buried them, no keys, put the pot back together, ended up cleaning the tropicals on the front porch while looking for lost keys, finally found the keys in the grass next to the barberry shrubs, have no clue how they got there.. *sigh*

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all! I've been busy picking blackberries, cherry tomatoes, pole beans, cucumbers, squash, kale, collard, peppers & harvesting the garlic. Then, I have to put it all away or give it away. This is my ultimate goal in gardening -- the harvest and so far it's been a good year!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Guess which day it is? LOL

Thumbnail by greenbrain

Thanks ju. I have some scrap wood, maybe I'll make something like those! Wannabe sawhorses! Hehe.. mine are made of plastic. Thanks again ju, Debra reminded me I have a pic of a piece of Sedum that fell out of the pot so I potted IT up, now I know they grow from pieces, thanks Jw! And thanks for reminding me of my other photo!

Love the flower pics ju. My purple Coneflowers are limited to one big clump. - pic #2

Is that a paint can pole? If they are, that's one big Monarch ju!

It's pretty vigorous in the yard huh pepper? I might try it in the front yard then, in the shade (mostly) we need something to cover up the dirt.

Glad you found your keys Jw. I lose mine too. Although, with me it's more like just locking them in the car, forgetting to get them after I lock the house door, things like that..lol That's why for years I've had spare keys to everything all over the place! Thanks Jw, I have a bowl of tap water for that cat but I think it prefers to drink out of stuff near where I'm at or something.

Isn't this an ironic pic of a prison? It looks just like the former state one we visited in Jefferson City, Mo. in late May. - pics 3 and 4 The 3rd pic is Jeff City and the 4th pic is something I saw on tv today. It's amazing to me how similar they are.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Will But , it is a pretty clump !!! isn't it ?
That is that two liter pole I playing with last year ,lol
I remember a few prison tours , not my favorite places .

When I'm dividing plants I will get Pepper a Spider Daylily and I will see about a couple of Dark Iris , then you can all grow them a couple of seasons and trade them with each other at the RU's
The Clump in front I will divide the iris ,Right now I have a few seed pods on a couple , But it is warmer where you all are (sometimes ) Have to wait a few days to see how many plants I have setting around ,
My Gold Sedum does okay the other not as well as could , plant placing thing , it is beginning to get shady some places here ,,

Oh well back to night dreaming ,,lol

Doesn't that make you crazy Debra...lol...wish I had the time back i have spent looking for something I just had.

Yeap I love daylilies and spiders are one of my favs. Only draw back they have is the bloom only lasting one day. But in their defense they are tough, easy to divide, will overwinter in pots.

dgd is pending a few days. She grits her teeth which is why I am awake at 5:30 in the morning! Gonna be a long weekend~ Actually been awake since about 3....ugh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.