July 2014 Hotter than a firecracker!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have that same sedum. My Mom gave it to me and it is growing down the side of my pond on the rocks. It is hardy if it is like mine. The birds like to move it around also.

(Zone 5a)

Well, I just had to comment on this thread. Hotter than a firecracker? LOL We've been waking up to lower 50's. I do not know when we've ever been able to open the windows in July before. I have a hankering for chili!

I have a veggie garden, but I hardly think about that because I've been busy with my little native plant babies. We finished putting 56 in the ground yesterday. I should check on the beans, but we have eaten a handful of cukes. I'd like to make some sweet dill pickles later in the season.

My husband came up with an ingenious idea, it seemed silly but it worked. We just do not have the perfect tool to put in the plugs and the best thing we had broke, a long handled weed puller :/ He used his electric drill with an auger bit and got 40 holes made in less the time than it took me and one of my boys to make 16.

Today in one of my native patches, I finally learned what a little oddity was. A petunia?!?! We've not planted those in two years.

We have orange Daylilies up against the house that usually bloom profusely, but our duck uses that area to hide in and I think she sat on them a little too much. I want to get some natives in that spot, but the phone line is somewhere there and I am afraid to do too much digging. I risked planting Maximilian sunflowers and we still have phone service. :)

I do not have any photos of my plantings for this month, but here are some of our friends. I call this little group of Barn Swallows "Little Taters". They left the nest this weekend and now we are free to use the front door again. I had a hard time breaking open the screen door with all their poop!

Number two are the reason we no longer have our pasture mowed for hay. Bobolinks, they are an amazing bird with an amazing song. I saw Mama feeding one of her young the other day.

Number three is a female Northern Paper Wasp working on her nest on our new garage. They are a great gardening friend.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey all I have been working in the yard tonight. Loving it too. Got some new daylilies from happ and got them all planted. Even planted other one I had just purchased. Love them so much color in my front yard right now. Looks so pretty. BP my daughter got so much stuuff lots of diapers, bibs clothes, home made blanket in the shape of a pink pig, and a quilt with the three pigs on it. Her mother in law is the quilter. Hubbys gma made her a beautiful pink camo diaper bag! Lots of baretts, socks, I sent them a mattress, I got them some storage boxes she wanted, some crib sheets, hangers, books. I oredered her a cute duckie on astring from etsy, a couple toys with rubber ducks on them, that was the theme of the shower. My other daughter got her some of the cutest outfits. My mom have a lands end bag with the babies name on it and stuffed it full of stuff. So much suff she was thrilled. So happy and excited about everything. Her hubby made the baby a home made dresser. Pretty nice.

(Zone 5a)

I just perused the June thread. I am curious about the picture of the butterfly nectar. Could someone share how it is done? We have plenty of butterflies around here, but not many flowering plants right now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Chillybean;Near as I get Butterfly nectar , 4 parts water to 1 part sugar , boiled and cooled .

Plenty of Zinnia here , for now , Kind of cool though ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That's the recipe I use to make Hummingbird sugar water - 4 to 1. I searched the web and they say it's more than half that sugar for Butterflies, 10 to 1. - http://www.bing.com/search?q=how%20to%20make%20butterfly%20nectar%3F&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=how%20to%20make%20butterfly%20nectar%3F&sc=1-29&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=f7ac4160903f448cb6e0136cb1aa1388

Nice Zinnias ju, I wish I could grow them like that.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2014 9:07 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There is some Agastache Rugosa ,,Korean Mint ,Every so often like today two or three Hummingbirds are visiting morning and evening ,, They like the Zinnia also ,

Those are some good Video Will , Thank you .

I found A couple Monarch Caterpillars this morning , so I have four in my caterpillar cage , already released two , not much , but a bunch after last years none ! ,,
The other Cats as Kitty , love this cooler weather .
Me I'm not moving around real fast and not getting much done ,, Enjoying the blooms and a few things about though .

Thanks ju. I saw a Hummingbird today flying around where my feeder usually is. I brought it in about a month ago because they were never there, they were always at the Mimosa trees which were in bloom then.Now, all the dried up Mimosa flowers have all dropped off, into our swimming pool and on the pavement. I'll try to remember to put the Hummingbird feeder back out there tomorrow and full of sugar water. I'd love to attract butterflies, I hope to make a Butterfly feeder too. Even those 2 liter bottles look small next to that Monarch.

Your welcome ju, the links to the recipes for Butterfly nectar?

A bulb auger bit they sell to gardeners Chillybean? A friend had one of those awhile back and it wasn't working too good in harder dirt they said. But I can imagine there is all different kinds of auger bits.

Oh, yes indeed, it is a big, pretty Purple Coneflower clump, ju!
Is your Gold Sedum a variegated, hardy kind?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will, It is not variegated , That little vine looking (as that is what people called it ,) in the fish bowl , brandy sifter , they use to sell and give as gifts ,
It does okay , my sister had tons of it , mine is having a slow year ,,
Yes , the links you mentioned ,
I have auger heads for fence posts , I cut the sod with a sawsall then drill auger , lol

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53276/ this sedum

This message was edited Jul 17, 2014 11:52 PM

Wow chilly 56 natives going in that is really nice. It is going to be beautiful once they get going.

In my hard clay soil i burned up a drill trying to plant bulbs one year. The soil had never been worked and i wanted to naturalize some daffodils in the grass. Glad it is working for you tho.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the butterfly nectar info. I was curious about all those bubbles. Does this attract the butterflies?

shortleaf, no, the auger bit was something he uses for woodworking.

happgarden, I am guessing we planted ~150 natives this year. We have nine acres to play with. My veggie garden sure doesn't get near the same attention as the natives. I am learning not all natives do well . I tried prairie onion and they all died. The Leadplant is coming up very slowly. I lost the Swamp Milkweed I planted two years ago, but yet the Spiderwort in the same spot is doing beautifully! That is turning into my happy plant. When I get discouraged about other things doing poorly, I go look at my Cow Slobber. I prefer that common name. :) My children would probably like Snotweed even better.

Wow that is alot of natives. One of my friends is really into natives. She planted her yard with buffalo grass, which was hard to get started, and natives all around. I have about 10 acres we don;t do anything with and have checked into turning it into a natural prairie but it is expensive. I know that sounds stupid but it is expensive. First we have to kill off everything that is there. So that would have to be done in sections. I hate chemicals tho. Then the seeds from what I have read are outrageous. Then how do you figure out how to water?

You know I had trouble with swamp milkweed several times.

(Zone 5a)

happgarden, Yep, we are very much aware of the expense. I do not even want to think how much the .10 acre of seeds are that my husband planted last year. When this year, much of it is the three types of pigweed and curly dock. We will not give up on it and keeping it mowed the first couple years is said to help. Watering, well, we leave that up to the Creator. :)

The ones we plant are close enough to the house that I remember now and again, but learned that the Prairie Pussytoes doesn't like too much water, so now all it gets is rain. And actually, it started growing better then.

The county offered to plant seeds in the ditches, but said we'd have to kill it all off. I heard there is a type of glyphosate safe for ground water, but not sure where to get it. The county would then not do their spraying for noxious weeds to allow that to establish. I've seen some county ditches that have some interesting color with the natives popping up, like the Butterfly Weed, Wild Rose and others.

My biggest concern in all this is what happens when we leave. I learned we can try to get a permanent easement so it is protected down the line. Again, it costs money. The person we bought the last batch of natives from said it is easier to get protection if it can be deemed "wetland". We'd need to get the soil tested for that. We have too much crop run-off that it has never been used for row crop, but it was used for grazing and hay.

I am pretty sure our property has not been farmed since before 1956. After that I am not sure. The property our house sits was a bean field until we built the house, the connecting property is the one that has been not been farmed since 1956.

You might have an organization like this. I am part of the missouri master gardener and might join this one also. You might have an Iowa group, they can help you with what/not to do and getting grants.
http://extension.missouri.edu/masternaturalist/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. Have a great weekend we are going to a great zoo not to far frkm us tomorrow with almost the whole family. Except one brother and our son. Will be a great time I am sure. Looking forward to it made the plans about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks ju, I like the Gold Sedum too. Here is a green one in a basket hanging on the front porch. - pics 1 and 2

Here is an Arrowleaf Syngonium that I got from Jw at the RU. - pic #3

Have a good time at the zoo, Ronna.

This is a TropiCanna that I got on Clearance from Lowes for $2 recently. - pic #4 - I cut off all the nasty looking clearance foliage.

I'm almost certain any farmers here will do fairly well. And just being gardeners may do just as well. I only scored 56%. But even if you do take the quiz, it's apparent what most of the correct answers are. You have to be honest though and answer truthfully or it takes the fun out of it. I think everybody here will do better than me..lol I saw the quiz on a Facebook friend of mine's page, I thought it was neat as heck!
http://www.brainfall.com/quizzes/how-midwestern-are-you/21l696/
Will

edited to say: Oops, sorry Ronna and Betty, I meant "Have a good time at the zoo Ronna"! : )

This message was edited Jul 18, 2014 7:58 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will I will pic mine sometime .
Said I'm 67% Midwestern
and I ought to live in Honolulu ,,??? lol oh f-u-n-n-y lol ....

Hang in there ! lol

Thumbnail by juhur7

67% is good ju, better than mine!
Thanks. I still have the gastrointestinal discomfort but not the vomiting, I feel better than a few days ago.
How can I be posting quizzes at such a tumultuous time?! Actually, I've had it on cnn all day as they've had newer news pop up about the plane crash in Ukraine. This should be interesting, now Ukraine says it is taking control of the investigation, the site is in those rebels control.

A Zebra Swallowtail caterpiller ju?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like Cnn ,,
Will; Monarchs , in the screen ,

Another , about Russian Revolution ,, Good size Encyclopedia ,, ?

Glad your feeling somewhat better ,, I have you read about the Florida Mosquito Flu . Has a real long name , We use to call it Swamp Cramp Fever .. Few ever had that long ago , but it is bad ,,, rarely fatal so far , but it makes bending and your joints feel like they are in a vice ,, bursting pressure pain ,, it is painful ,,
I have some changes from treatments causing some difficulty , no Barfing though , just a few off and on headaches and fatigue .. All of it makes for slow feeling ,, blah ...
Get well ,,, and keep on ...
Sending you flowers while you can still enjoy them ,,lol Has the old left handed sound to it doesn't it ,,Yikes !!! lol ^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all, Lovely flower pics. Still busy working, harvesting, canning pickles and jam, etc ... Staying busy doing the stuff I dream about during the winter months. I love this time of year!

Time to sleep and get back up tomorrow and start all over again. I hope that you're all enjoying your summer gardens too. : )

Pics from last winter at the Butterfly House in Chesterfield, MO. Free admission for all Missouri Botanical Garden members.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Love the pics of the butterflies GB, well guys I am only 57% midwestern...wonder if that is because I moved away at 18 for alot of years.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning all. Thanks Will I am sure we are going to have fun. It is 55 degrees here this morning. ! Love the cool weather for sleepjng. I got smoe great deals on plants at home depot last night. Over half price cause they have already blossomed or a little ratty looking. I will bet them planted and they will be so happy. I have the weekend off and am so happy. Work has been a roller coaster ride lately. Upand down with patients. Low needed one day then not the next. Gggrrr. Have a great day all. I am going to feed the giraffe today at the zoo.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's our stand at the Farmers market just before opening bell on Thursday afternoon.

Our kitties that live in the chicken house feed room.

Some of our hens. Trying to give away the rooster.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Country gardens yummy!!! We love to go to our local farmers markets. So fresh. Yours looks wonderful and you are busy too. Good for you all.

Thanks for the flower pics ju, very colorful. I feel good so far, my friend is even making eggs for breakfast! My Liatris got stunted from the Winter or something, it is still at ground level.

57% is good too. That 10 question quiz is pretty hard when you answer truthfully! I think the only thing that got me above half was trying to eat the corn in the cornfield next to my house! lol

Nice butterflies, Green. I always liked the one they have at Powell Gardens arboretum. Pepper knows about that too, she used to work there. pics #1 #2 and #3 They are old pics but still nice.
I've been there twice since then but that display wasn't going, it only comes in August.

The hens are trying to give away the rooster, that's funny! lol Great pics CG!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oh your tables at the farrmers market just look beautiful! Don't think you can live in the country without a cat. I found that out about 6 months after moving out here in the middle of nowhere..lol I thought the city had mice but the city doesn't have anything on the country..lol I dont know how DH lucked out when he bought our chickens cause he knew nothing about chickens but we didn't get one rooster.

Well need to mow today before it warms up next week.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice pics Bernie & Will. Just helped my mom give away 5 roosters 2 weeks ago. Don't want to do that again soon! Now she has 8 hens & 2 roosters.

The weather here is still gorgeous! I was out in the backyard very early enjoying the quiet. Now, I'm getting ready to start canning pickles and jam. Since the air is cool and dry, the kitchen should be pretty comfortable with all the steam produced from the boiling water bath.

All the plants that I brought home from the RU are doing well. Another big "thank you" to all! I'll have to post some more recent pics so you can see how the plants are thriving in their new home.

Anyone collecting hollyhock seeds yet? I have quite a few beige colored seed pods. Are they ready now?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

One of many moths I have flying around the garden this year. I love them!

And gonna be pretty busy this week. Have neice and nephew. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Presumptive tests about what we are like ? well you all know ! lol Fun though it was ..

Well Gb I recognize the Northern Pearly Eye ...

I play with some , only seeing if a few numbers of Monarchs will return , When it gets where I see several most of the time I will quit keeping them . Past a certain point it makes no difference .
if their habitat is there , About 17 or 18 now here this year , last year about 9 maybe about 7 , and no migrators at all , usually a few dozen fly by heading south anyway ..
it's a thing ,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have black swallowtail caterpillars on my dill. I'm glad that I know what they are and didn't kill them because I've had a tomato hornworm infestation before. I have learned the difference now between the good guys and bad guys.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My Green fennel all rotted out , from all the rain , I will make a raised set for the next try , I get swallowtail cats from time to time ,
Not as many of any this year ,, I keep trying snapdragon for Buckeye Butterflies , but that's not ever gone to well
Going try a wild yellow Snapdragon the perennial and see if it goes and grows ,,

Pepper I get those here , sometimes lots of moths ,, like the pic ..

A couple moths and a Monarch I was a little slow to release ,,
OOPS and OOPS Pepper) Cabbage White Butterfly your moth
First pic Question Mark Butterfly

This message was edited Jul 19, 2014 11:20 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I seem to have more moths than butterflies this year. lol. Not complaining though. Have a dragonfly hanging around also. Wish I had more of them.

My veggies finally got an infestation of what I am assuming are squash bugs. I didn't have anymore leftover sevin dust or spray so my dad found a gallon sized hand pumper and I made a soapy mixture and sprayed like crazy. Will hit again tomorrow night and hopefully it will work. Don't want to spend money on Natria if I don't have too.

Neat ju! You breed your own butterflies? That's one way to have
them for sure!
Thanks Green. And there I thought people were tired of seeing my pics!
I bought a couple more clearance items at Home Depot. I got a 1
gal. pot of Black-Eyed Susans 'Goldsturm' for $2 and a similar
sized pot of white Coneflowers 'Powwow' for $5. pic #1 The BES
didn't have any flowers. It was funny, the girl at Home Depot
started to ring them up at the regular price or the last clearance
price of $5. I was polite about it, I just said, "they're only $2,
I wouldn't pay $5 for flowers with no flowers". Hehe, she fixed it
right away. I got the white Coneflowers planted, they're the short
ones so I figured they'd go good in front of the tall Purple
Coneflower clump, so that's where I planted them. - pic #2
Anybody want me to mail them some viable Purple Coneflower seeds this Fall. I grow them from seeds every year, I have lots of them.
Collecting Hollyhock seeds you ask? Not me, I don't even have
any Hollyhocks that want to grow! Here's mine, they're green,
but they're at the ground. - pic #3 That big fat stick in that
pic is the old stalk from last year, looks like there ain't
gonna be any stalks this year! I got a couple more layered Hall's Honeysuckle starts to find homes for. I think I'll put them by another former clothesline post/trellis I made. pic #4

Did you get that Honeylocust planted pepper?

Will

This message was edited Jul 20, 2014 9:56 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I finally finished up putting that old window in the shed.
But, you know me I have to take photos along the way!
- pics 1, 2, 3 and 4. And last but not least the traditional bumblebee on a Purple Coneflower pic! #5

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

We don't get tired of pics! The shed is looking good! Love the window. I want to put a people door on the other side of my shed with a window.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will I just thought I would a few as the Monarch #'s fell to extinction levels last year , When I get a few dozen returning I will leave them to their own devises , lol
Half a big old leaf of Milkweed was missing today so a few I miss out there , and there going on anyway ,
Here's a couple seedlings White Swan Echinacea and Goji Chinensis
Love the plants will ..

Pepper , it's all part of nature bugs and all ,, I don't like those that eat my vegetables , that and Mosquitoes And of course , Icky old Bedbugs ,, Not in years ,,, not ever again since either ..

Green I could get seeds from pink hollyhocks , but their not too popular anymore ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oops lol try that again
Seed growing takes me some time ,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Oh, everybody likes pics huh? Hehe.. that's good! I take pics and LOTS of them!
Thanks happ. I wish cutting a hole for a window was as simple as it seems before you start cutting!
Cutting thru the studs (which I wanted to minimize so the shed wouldn't fall down..lol).
Using a chainsaw is a loud messy job. Then when your all done, the window doesn't fit! For about 30 minutes I went around the cutout with the chainsaw, I finally got the window in it. But, I was thinking about straightness for once. I didn't want a window that would look all crooked just because I wanted to do it in one day. So, I measured and used my level and I'm okay with how it turned out.
Making a people door would be quite a job. But I'm sure that somebody who was all into it and had the proper tools could do it with a little skill and some patience.

Will once you cut the hole did you put 2x4's around the inside of the opening to make a box? When dh built my garden room that is what he did. He used a saw but not a chain saw... I will use about any kind of saw but never used a chain saw.

Since it was cool yesterday I started digging a path in front off my potting bench. When it rains it throws mud up on my doors and I end up walking and standing in mud...yucck. I thought about putting stone down but now am thinking about using rubber mulch, any one have ideas? Later I want to do a really nice walk way maybe next year, have too much going on now.

The pic with the car if you enlarge it under the bbq grill, I do not know what this animal is but I can tell you he weighed alot! When he jumped from the wall to the bottom of the grill everything shook!

Pic of one of my fav daylilies.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

A box inside? No. But, now that you mention it, I might miter some strips of wood for the frame outside to hide the splintered wood and my gaps and imperfections. A chainsaw worked good on this old shed. But, I wouldn't recommend doing it that way if your concerned about looks..lol
I thought about using my circular saw but then I thought about how the cuts always go past the corners where you want to stop at and how crappy that would look. I thought about the need to go thru studs and a circular saw just wasn't really winning the case on doing it in one evening.
You want to make sure the chain is secure to the saw because you get close and you don't want an accident with the chain coming off and hitting you. I agree, using a chainsaw on carpentry work is a little appalling. There's just times when you want to get it done fast and unfortunately that makes one look a bit like a Shortcut Sam. Now, I would never do anything for anybody else that way. I once saw how a guy would work on decks with a chainsaw, I was thinking, "my god". I'm not trying to be defensive, I know exactly what you mean happ. I just think it's funny, hehe, rest assured I usually save the chainsaws for trees and branches..lol
Are you pumping your own gas with that antique gas pump, happ? Just kidding but that is sweet, I bet that thing is worth a few thousand dollars.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.