PLANT ADDICTS CHAT # 2

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey, plant addicts, happy Independence Day :)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1361378/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Muddy, you wouldn't want MY obedient plant- it doesn't bloom until September

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually, I wouldn't mind that. My Black-eyed Susans are blooming now, and I usually count on them for August-September color in one of my beds. Which cultivar do you have?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Muddy, I've got the regular light lavender-pink flowering obedient plant. There are several clumps growing where I don't really want them (they do that)... you can come grab them any time, or I'll pull them for you this fall.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, critter! I'll think about where lavender-pink ones might fit in after I finish planting all the Penstemon and Monarda seedlings I have. When do yours bloom?

I really wanted to buy white flowering plants TODAY to fill gaps in my side garden, which is almost all primary colors and white, so I went shopping! I didn't find white Obedient plants, so I bought Liatris spicata 'Floristan' instead. Betty's Azalea Ranch had ones that are 3' tall already.

I'm still going to get Obedient plants, though; I think they're so pretty.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine blend in pretty well with other colors -- while not crisp white, they're pretty pale. But there's a white cultivar called 'Miss Manners' that's supposed to be more compact and less aggressive about spreading. Mine are late summer bloomers also... I see buds now, but I thiknk they're still growing.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

'Miss Manners' currently in bloom.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahh, Miss Manners is so lovely! I wonder if the cultivar name was picked because it behaves and doesn't overstep its boundaries : )

I think I'll have room for Miss Manners as well as your Obedient plants, Critter. I'm still rearranging and moving plants. I dug up my new Muhlenbergia capillaris (Muhly grass) and some Black-eyed Susans to make room for the Liatris spicata. The Muhly grass is shorter than I thought it would be; not good for the side garden but will find a home in the backyard..

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh Muddy, could you share pics of your Muhly grass please? I love that stuff, first fell in love with it when I first started at the Nursery. **sigh**... so many plants, so little room.. (and money). ;)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I think my white physostegia is a miss manners too and I'm sorta bummed about that. My pink one blooms late August and it spreads nicely. I planted the white one last year and it hasn't spread at all and I like when my plants blend together.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you'll have to get more of them, Sequoia!

Speedie, the grass is still sitting in a bucket awaiting its new home. It hasn't started sending up its plumes yet; I'll take a photo when it does. I'll have lots of seeds to share afterwards.

Here's a photo of my side perennial bed, which is where I planted the 3 Liatris spicata I bought. The Black-eyed Susans in pots to the far left are some of the ones I dug out; I'm going to plant them there but need to move a few things first, starting with the now ratty- looking Spiderwort.

The hardy Australian Canna in the back is usually much taller by now. I had the Muhly Grass right in front of it, but then realized the grass wouldn't show up over the BES until it sent up the plumes.

The short, annual Salvias are providing screening for some Heuchera richardsonii (Alum Root) seedlings growing behind them.

There's a Culver's Root in the back row which will add more white blooms later this summer.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2014 8:53 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--

Your perennial bed looks like most of mine will as well---stuffed full
of plants and colors--with no particular plan.
Well--mine may have a little bit of a plan--like colors and height.

My Kitchen side bed is starting to fill in nicely. The caladiums are growing--
my deep pink Phlox is 3' tall--the ferns in the background are always there---
and, whatever I plant in front just compliments everything else...

Was hoping for Petunias in the very front--but they slowly died off.
I had some kind of fungus problems with them last summer--so it may still be in the soil.
BUMMER! I LOVE petunias!

--Here is just a small peek of things to come....in my Kitchen bed...

-The pink Phlox in this bed--now in almost full bloom.

--Red Phlox by the Endless Summer Hydrangea with some satin Coleus

Coming along!....coming along....Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy, I love your side perennial bed! Such a nice combination of colors! :-)

Very pretty phlox, Gita.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

These plant sales are killing me. David and Pat told me about a sale going on at a nursery in Urbana. I was only going to go check out the 50% off Japanese maples, since I've been wanting one to put in the turtle garden. I told myself NOTHING ELSE. Well, I couldn't pass up Thalictrum 'Black Stockings' that SSG mentioned in a post a while back. Then I saw a Japanese anemone cultivar that I hadn't seen before. Then I saw a peony that ended up being less that $10. Then I saw a pretty little clematis. Then I saw aconitum. Then I saw Primula japonica. Then I saw.... oh my, do you get the picture?. No self control whatsoever. At least I had beautiful weather yesterday to get everything planted.

LOL Aspen I had a similar situation this weekend with plant sales! :-) And now I see all the weeds I didn't get pulled because of time spent browsing and planting! :-)

Been meaning to get out and check clearance just for something annual, but haven't had time!

Yes that's what I got Sally was annuals for the front. Vincas, snapdragons, petunias

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

If you hurry--Md. Flower...etc..is having a huge clearance sale-still lots of stuff there!
Annuals--$1 per MK-pack--PLUS--buy one get one free...

Bigger pots of stuff--$3--buy one get one free...

Any remaining veggies (lots of very leggy tomatoes) piles of Strawberries--FREE!

Karen and I went there a few days ago...all I bought was 2 pots of Calibracea (sp)...

Hurry!!! G.

Great deal, I just don't have the time...thanks for thinking of me

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I guess that makes us enablers, Terri! So glad you found some neat stuff. We didn't come home with nearly as much, but did get the Fothergilla we'd been wanting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, so what's the name of the Urbana nursery, please? (just in case LOL)

Dutch Plant Farm has a sale through today, trees & shrubs are all 35% off, fountains & bird baths are on sale less 15% off.

My Harry Lauder's Walking Stick has been in decline the past couple of years, and this year it's about reached its end (sad, because it's grown pretty large). I'm planning to replace it with an interesting upright evergreen -- right at the corner of the front foundation. I'm thinking maybe Hinoki Cypress...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill, the nursery is Potomac Garden Center, 8710 Fingerboard Rd., Urbana, MD 21704. It was right off of 270.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, I know that one! I just didn't realize it was in Urbana, LOL. Definitely one to check out. Thanks!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

My lilies from the ADR group buy have been blooming - first the Asiatic, now the Orienpet, and still in bud are the Orientals. They are so pretty and doing so well! I wish I had more. I'll definitely be up for it if we decide to do another group buy! Doesn't look like anything is left for 2014 on the ADR site, so maybe next winter for spring 2015 planting?

Ooh, Hinoki Cypress, my favorite!

I'm trying to catch up on all the posts!

Aspenhill, it sounds like you got some good deals! Isn't that a pretty thalictrum?

Gita, that is such a cute little phlox. I really need to look for a shorter growing phlox for my front yard. I can't believe that nursery's giving away their vegetables! I wish it wasn't an hour away from mew.

Muddy, I love that perennial bed! My dark colored canna didn't come back this spring. And it reminds me that I need more black-eyed susans.

When I was placing my ADR order for the lilies, I didn't even know that they had different blooming times. I'm getting a nice long blooming season from the four varieties I ordered. I have some that are in bud now and some that bloomed over a month ago.

I can't wait to place another order next year! I need some dwarf varieties for the front bed, a part of which is a lot sunnier than I'd thought.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lilies for spring planting sound good to me, too. I can always use dwarfs, and I also want more orienpets.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You guys are talking sales but I'm pooped in regards to planting stuff. I got all the perennials all finished this past weekend...finally. It was almost two straight months of planting perennials each weekend not that I don't love it but I need a break. Now this weekend I have to plant 5 shrubs. I guess my point is that for me to make a new purchase now it would have to be the perfect plant.

Speaking of lilies, I have already placed an order with B&D Lilies for the fall. I'm excited for them next year.

You guys are talking sales but I'm pooped in regards to planting stuff.

Me too! It's a task I generally LOVE but so many placement decisions have been made in the last two months, I just don't want the decisions!

My Glads that I just got in the ground, Thursday? Already a leaf shooting up six inches.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--
Jill--you wrote---
My Harry Lauder's Walking Stick has been in decline the past couple of years, and this year it's about reached its end (sad, because it's grown pretty large). I'm planning to replace it with an interesting upright evergreen -- right at the corner of the front foundation. I'm thinking maybe Hinoki Cypress...

As soon as you posted the above, and before I read it to the end--I thought---
"Ahhh--a Hinoki Cypress"....love that evergreen....

SS--- If you are referring to the pink Phlox picture I posted above---it is NOT little.
It is the regular Phlox--by now--close to 3' tall.

I did mention that at my HD we had dwarf Phlox--which were cute....No more than 2' tall--
came in deep pink--white--and pale pink with deep ping throat.
Depending on the pot--they were either $7.99 (common blackpot) or $14.99. in a
slightly bigger pot with a fancy outer pot. Otherwise--exactly the same.

G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My dwarf phlox from ADR are doing well... no blooms, but I'm not sure if they'll bloom their first year from bare root or not. At $1.15 per division, I can be patient. We'll get our spring order in sooner this year and hopefully get the Flame Purple color of dwarf phlox before it sells out.

We were looking at doing a group order with B&D a couple years ago but didn't have quite enough interest, then ended up doing a spring order with ADR instead. I'm not sure why ADR sells pre-cooled lilies in spring rather than selling lily bulbs in fall; maybe it's a Dutch bulb thing. B&D's prices are high, but they have a reputation for absolutely premium product.. and they're a bit cheaper when you order multiples, as I recall.

I didn't find quite what I was looking for, but I didn't come home empty handed, either. I got a columnar norway spruce (who knew?) that gets just 5 feet wide but could grow to 30' tall (a little large for the corner of the house LOL, but maybe it could start out there & move after a couple of years?), a miniature Hinoki cypress that won't get tall enough for the corner spot but might still work in the same foundation bed, and a hot pink crepe myrtle with purple-tipped foliage (Pink Velvet, I think). Nice specimens, and the 35% discount brought DPF prices down to what I'm more willing to pay.

I also got a little pot of Wintergreen (Gautheria procumbens), which I've tried unsuccessfully to grow from seed, and two non-sale perennials (in $6 quarts) -- a variegated wallflower and a Euphorbia 'Tiny Tim'. They had Euphorbia 'Bonfire' in $6 quarts also, but I didn't quite talk myself into it. :-)

It's easier to work on the front bed, since I'm often out there keeping an eye out while the kid sare playing. At least that's my excuse for buying more plants for out front with lots of planting & other work still remaining for the back. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep, I'm so tired of planting too and this heat doesn't help. I tell myself that when I see the bargains found at plant sales this time of year, but the plant addiction takes over. I try cajoling Mike into helping me, but his motto is "You bought it, You plant it". Hmphhhhh. I've been keeping up with most of the planting, but there always seems to be a handful of things left to get to.

Jill, you got some nice plants! That crepe myrtle sounds interesting. I'm saying no, no, no to checking out DPF though. I'll discipline myself and not even go look at more plants until the excursion to Betty's Azalea Nursery in a few weeks.

Critter, that hot pink crepe myrtle with purple tipped foliage sounds really cool. Please post photos when you're able!

'you bought it you plant it'--LOL Aspen! I'm trying to show restraint over the next couple weeks before Betty's, too! :-)

That columnar Norway Spruce seems cool!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ace Outback has many trees and shrubs up to 40 % off.

Came home with Clethras! 'Ruby Spires' and "Hummingbird'.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c299
http://plant-quest.blogspot.com/2007/07/clethra-sweetest-summer-shrubs.html

Anyone else grow Summer Sweet shrubs?

Also looking for PawPaw trees

ah, Coleup, you enabler you, seems like it's been a while since I was last at your Ace's! ;-) The Clethras is very pretty!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy, I have a clethra cutting that is 2 years old and 4 inches big, hahaha. I believe it is 'Fern Valley Pink,' I don't remember. I should move it in to its own pot and fertilize it. They are, apparently, very tough plants.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2014 9:19 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy: I love your side perennial bed - beautiful mix of colors and sizes.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Looking for pawpaws here, too... especially Peterson's varieties. I ordered 3 from One Green World last spring... they were quite small, and only 1 is still hanging in there. I see from Neal Peterson's site that a couple of additional nurseries are carrying them, so I'll look into that.

Hmm, looks like Edible Landscaping in VA has Peterson PawPaws, although most are sold out. They also have "high quality" seedling pawpaws in an assortment of sizes... I'm liking the quarts, although I might get brave and try the 2 inch plugs, LOL. They are very near Montpelier (Thomas Jefferson's home) in Charlotte, so I'm thinking I could turn that into a weekend adventure. I'll check with them at some point and see what kind of things they stock in fall.

There's a bright red crepe myrtle with the darker leaves also... 'Red Rocket' comes to mind, but would have to check the cultivar name (I snapped quick pics).

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Muddy, ditto to what Happy said, very nice.

Terp, the Ruby Spires is 4+ foot tall by 2' and loaded with buds. I'm probably going to grow mine in a container so I can move the fragrance around. I figure I can also keep it more 'evenly moist' that way, too. After I repot it I'll set it in amongst my ostrich ferns or swap it out with my Pinky Winky Hydrangeas that are happily blooming away by the back steps.

Speaking og Hydrangeas has any one seen the 'Star Gazer' series by Ball? I bet the blue one I saw over the Holidays is SOLD by now...Have such an urge to phone the owner and tell her to save for me!!!!!

Thumbnail by coleup

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.