Interest for a Fall RU

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, guys! It's time to start planning again. If you are interested in a Fall RU post ideas on here. Need ideas for locations and when. I figure the best time might be end of Sept, beginning of Oct before it really starts cooling down.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sure, I might be able to go. I'm open to a location.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure right now, but I could unload a lot of pears! lol

I could really bring quite alot of little houseplants, Pileas 'Aluminum', both Wondering Jews, Spiderplants,Creeping Charlies (although it's hardy to minus 40). Hall's Honeysuckle starts (vine that's hardy and blooms white). Green Pothos starts. I could really bring the houseplants.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I can be there!

Yay!!! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I know that I'll be busy most of September, but I have Columbus Day weekend open. Is that too late? Go with whatever is best for everyone else. If I can't make it, there's always Spring.

Will, finally - we will meet - Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise!!!

That's great news Kayjones! Yes we will! I am looking forward to it! So, have you moved to Missouri?
Will

August 17, Will.

Wow, that's my birthday! A good friend moving here on my birthday, that is so neat. You should get a historic home in Lexington.

Will, I bought a house behind the Indep. Center. It has a pool, so you can come and swim.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Kay my best friend lives in that same area. She had a house built about 5 years ago.

Depends on when we meet. I have a master gardener conference in Sept. Then have another get together with a group of friends in October.

Cool, thanks KayJOnes! Wow, a pool, that would be sweet. And Independence (well, rural East Independence), where I was born and raised, Independence is not a bad choice! Your new house sounds like within a few minutes of where I spent 3/4s of my life.

I'm thinking maybe the first week or two of Oct would be best. I have to take off the first 2 weekends of Sept for family events so how about Oct 4th? Oct 11th is the next date after that. Any later and we will probably be pushing it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

October sounds good to me Pepper. I've got something scheduled every weekend in Sept. What location did you have in mind? I like the idea of meeting midway. With the shorter day light hours, we probably need to meet by noon if we're going to spend much time together.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happ, when is your October meeting?

I will have no problem meeting up by noon as long as I get off at either 10 or 11 depending on where we meet.

I'll let others chime in with ideas before I mention a few. :~)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's sunrise/sunset for St. Louis on Oct. 4 (6:59A - 6:39P) and Oct. 11 (7:06A - 6:29P). That's not too bad. We'll still have about 11.5 daylight hours.

The weekend of October 18th I will be busy.

I'm looking at Oct 4th or 11th for the RU.

Green has mentioned she likes if we meet closer to halfway so I'm thinking Sedalia again for location. If we do Sedalia again I think this time we can manage Bothwell if the shelter gets reserved sooner than later. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

That would be lovely in the fall! I vote yes for Bothwell. I could probably get Carla to bring me again because she loved that place. So did Chloe and Nicole.

Sure, count me in too but the Bothwell reservation is $35 so we better be doing that pretty quick. It is a beautiful place though, it's worth it and they even have impressive flowerbeds too.
Yeah, delaying the shelter reservation there earlier this year is what doomed us there, they only have one shelter. It'd be great to get at least 6 parties committed to go, that's only $6 each party.

Well. Will - the inspection was done on the house - it found foundation issues, pool issues, roof issues and wood rot - unless the seller will fix these problems, I won't be buying the house - bummer!

Yeah, that IS a bummer. I watch House Hunters and other Hgtv shows alot and a bad inspection can really be a bummer when you really like the house and have financing and stuff all finalized. But, I've seen most of the time the seller will compromise pretty generously on that defective stuff. Something else to consider is West Independence or even where I'm at, Sugarcreek, Mo. The house values are REAL reasonable (I'd say way below the nat'l avg.). It's important to get the issues taken care of on the house. What might also get their attention at this point, with the new issues, is an appraisal.
They might fix stuff as well as bring down the price of the house. From what I've seen, an appraisal really makes sellers think.
Good luck, Jo
Will

Will, let's continue this discussion in a private dmail.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a question , I have a black iris, a peony Will & Debra expressed interest ? , A spider daylily for Pepper
A few others , Could I send them to one of you participating , to save on postage ,,
Say , say ,, okay ,. ^_^
A few herb seeds or plants could do ?

Ok by me! Lol. Ok guys are we ok with bothwell lodge? If so let's get the datepicked and shelter reserved so we can start digging up plants. :-)

Thanks ju, I'd love to have one of those. : )

Thanks ju, I'd love to have one of those! I'm still waiting for these Snakeplants to grow from these little cuttings I made I think in March. I did see an interesting video on Youtube about Mother-In-Law's-Tongue and Snakeplants. The lady in the video said you don't get the gold band around the outside from cuttings, even if you use one with the gold band in the cutting. She says they only do exactly if you divide them. I was hoping to be able to send you a gold banded "Mother-In-Law's-Tongue" but it may only be a Snakeplant (solid green). Here's the video I watched. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsQZXfJOGc
I'd go to Bothwell too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya shortleaf , (Will I was not ignoring ,lot going on on and I miss replying ,
Okay I send them to you ? I was wondering about when your fall roundup is going to be ,
Pepper's Spider lily ?, Debra's milkweed seeds ?

If their going to be there , and you can see they get them ? or too much ?

I have five or six of those iris two that bloomed aren't happy where they are so move them or trade them is the option , the other are crowded now , two plants crowding each other with runners ..

talk more in a while , and how you all doing now ? other thread you all sound pretty good ..^_^

Sure, you could mail them to me, ju, altho, on the distance from there Greenbrain (Betty) would be much closer by about half. I don't know that we should look that far ahead though, we still have alot of steps to do to have a ru. On the Snakeplants, I don't know if it's so or not but somebody on one video said a Snakeplant tip must stay pointed to continue to grow that leaf. If the tip gets removed it will stop growing that leaf right there, has anybody else heard of that? I'm in a Holiday Inn in Lawrence, Kansas, my friend and I are staying here to watch the Perseid meteor shower and the Supermoon.
It started out stormy (it was raining on the way here), but it has cleared up tremendously, oddly enuff.
There is almost a clear, blue sky, so the viewing will likely be back on.

Thanks for the compliment on my new flowerbed, GL, it's coming along.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi, I'm still around. Just been pretty busy. Good stuff busy. Got to get to bed now. We've been rearranging the living room to make room for my hubby's latest "toy". A projector that he found on Craig's List. We've been watching movies projected on the wall; almost life size images. The cat walked by, looked up at the wall, and hissed! lol

Oh how fun. My DSS has a projector on the wall. He built a theater room in his basement which is really nice, but with the projector it is great. You will really enjoy it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Oops! I thought that I was on the August thread. Didn't mean to post on the RU thread. Anyway, I hope that I can make it since Carla is going to college full-time this semester and she's been my ride.

I don't think we're going to have enuff people going to reserve the one shelter ($35) Bothwell has (there is also a $4 per person tour fee). But, I've seen that they have lots of tree shaded areas and lots of picnic tables there. Just my 2 cents but I still think we can have a Fall Roundup there with the only obstacle being the chance of possible bad weather. If we can get a 10' x 10' canopy for shade and possibly rain we should be okay. I'm still all in for a Fall ru, I have alot of plants to bring.
I have a few photos of Bothwell Lodge, it's a beautiful place. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I put some things together to help raise awareness of where we want the Fall Roundup, it's a Missouri state park.

http://dnr.mo.gov/magazine/documents/mr-winter14.pdf Scroll about 3/4's the way down for the Bothwell article. Or read them here, I screenshotted the 2 pages and put them in my Comcast webspace full-size.-
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/Image2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/Image3.jpg

This is the Missouri State Parks website on Bothwell Lodge. -
http://mostateparks.com/park/bothwell-lodge-state-historic-site
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

So I go outside to start weeding in the shade and look over at the pond and it has drained the water out AGAIN....ughhhh. So I know what it is I have a natural filter meaning it is a big tub buried in the ground and water iris in the tub along with some papyrus. First time I have ever put papyrus in it. Well the papyrus is full of roots and it stops the drain down to the waterfall and the water just goes over the edge of the filter....Good grief I have never seen such aggressive roots as with those two water plants. Never let them loose in a pond. I had two shovels, a hatchet, a saw type knife, and a limb trimmer..... I finally got some roots out of there but good grief. Glad I found it while the pond is still in the shade cause every inch of me was wet with sweat.... I was about ready to jump in with the fishes except it would of turned into a salt water pond!

All be careful it is a tough one out there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.