Do you think this is a Rove Beetle?

Lemmon Valley-Golden, NV(Zone 7a)

I have been searching for at least a week. About a hundred of these showed up first thing in the morning on our front porch. Then they were gone by the next day. Makes me think they hatched. They were not flying. They were climbing up the door and house. Crawling across the floor. And just sitting there. Very calmly. I live in Northern Nevada. At the base of the mountains and the edge of the desert. It was about 90* that day. We are drought stricken. But I water everyday. I have gardens! If it is not a Rove Beetle, which looked pretty close even though which type it would be I don't know, does anyone have any idea what it could be? Also if it is dangerous? It did not appear to be aggressive. It does not look like a termite. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Thumbnail by froghairs
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

froghairs,

Your beetle is definitely not a Rove Beetle, which have very short forewings, with the hind wings folded up under them. It is a beetle, possibly a Carib.

This Help Desk is for problems arising in using the BugFiles database.

We have a forum on Insect and Spider Identification here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/
and if you post your question there, you may get some help,

If you have an image, you could attach it to the message you post for a better chance of getting an identification

You will need to enrol as a member to gain access to this facility, but there is no charge for enrolling,

Kennedy
BugFiles Administrator

Lemmon Valley-Golden, NV(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images