(JaxFlaGardener) Jeremy Wayne Lucas

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Our friend, Jeremy Wayne Lucas, known to everyone on DG as JaxFlaGardener joined us on December 27, 2002. Jeremy was one of our longest subscribers and brightened our world with his sunny disposition. He was intelligent, generous, and funny, knowledgeable and humble. We've been blessed to have known him and we'll always be reminded of his love of gardening. Jeremy never met a plant he didn't like and often went to extreme (and sometimes humorous) lengths to stretch the zone on tropical plants so he could grow them in his north Florida garden. He was also known to have crammed plant material into every available growing space on his property. He loved to trade plants and was extremely generous when someone new wanted to start their garden.

Jeremy was in our original group of writers and we're so pleased that his articles will live on as a wonderful legacy: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/by.php?user=JaxFlaGardener

We are so proud that he chose to hang out with us here at DG and we will treasure his legacy.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

Thumbnail by melody
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

He will be missed. I always enjoyed his posts and articles. It's wonderful to have his legacy here on DG.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Jeremy has already been missed for quite sometime as he fought his cancer for over 2 years and just couldn't post for much of that time.
Chris called me from Jeremy's phone yesterday afternoon. When I saw his name I knew he was gone. I expect him to join Frank in my garden in short time.
Jeremy was one of a kind and they did break the mold after his birth, but he never stopped generating new ideas, new plants to acquire, new pictures to paint
He was a whole life artist and more multi talented than anyone else I have ever known.
Possibly the most intelligent person, but I've been blessed to know many.
He avoided disagreements like the plague. He never judged and always had positive attitude.
I loved him. He had an insatiable desire for knowledge and would do all that he could think of to keep from being taken advantage of. He fought "city hall" with a fervor.
He was awesome.
I will miss him immensely.
Saturday will be a celebration of the Joy he brought to the world.
I will be there in something with lots of flowers on it.
I will be there to talk of the gifts he brought to this community.
Sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

A wonderful kind person

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Please say "hello" for me to Jeremy and anyone else you may encounter. I never met him, but we corresponded frequently while we were both writers and more occasionally on FB. What a courageous, creative, loving guy he was.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Met him once. A great person. Glad I got the chance to meet him

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I loved his humor and enthusiasm with anything plants, admired his art, enjoyed his articles. My condolences to friends and family of Jeremy.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Jeremy will be missed, my heartfelt thoughts go out to his family and friends.

It takes a long time to grow an old friend. ~John Leonard

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The yellow cestrum Jeremy gave me at the first RU I ever attended has grown exactly as he said it would and become a huge beautiful shrub.

Every time I walk through my garden I can see his smiling face in that plant.

He was such a blessing.

Bonnie

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry to read this. He was such a hoot - I loved his humor. He certainly had a gift with words and a plant lover too.

Bonnie I know he will like that. I am going to use some of your quotes Saturday.
Gracie and Peter are coming from Palm Coast. We had a regular Jax area bunch of Nursery Tramps that would go from nursery to nursery in what ever area we gathered in. I attempted to contact Margran aka Maggie. If anyone knows how too reach her, let her know.
Sidney

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

jeremy was one of the first people i ever connected with on dg over nine years ago. he made me feel welcome right from the start. he had such a wickedly wonderful sense of humor and if he had no other good qualities, that would have been enough...but he had SO many.
he will be missed.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I will remember Jeremy's memorial as being one (if not the most) incredible, humble and love filled tribute I've had the honor to attend.

(Zone 9a)

That is nice to hear. Sounds like a wonderful tribute to an amazing man.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Jeremy was a gifted man. He cumulated talents in writing, arts, and all around bon vivant. There were not enough hours in the day or days in the week for him to accomplish all he planned. He always had something kind to say and positive vibes emanated from him, even when life was kicking him in the teeth, as it so often did.

I have a few plants he sent me in my garden. I think of him often. He had a bon enfant (good child) way about him. It sometimes got him in trouble with City Hall. I believe he was one of City Hall's favorite thorn in their side.

I fondly recall one of his adventures he told on Dave's Garden. He had willingly wandered into a field with a camera to photograph some kind of native plant (or was it a frog?). He was quickly spotted and security forces showed up thinking he was taking pictures of the nearby nuclear plant, visible on the horizon: pure Jeremy!

He rescued distressed plants by the thousands from his neighborhood Big Box Hardware store, not worrying about if he had space to plant them. If it could be revived, no matter how slim the odds, he wanted to give it a try.

I have been fortunate to encounter Jeremy in my life. I often think of him as I tend my beds. As long as someone in this plane of existence remembers him, he is not truly departed.

Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautifully worded Sylvain. Jeremy will never be forgotten by many of us who benefitted so much by his generosity with plants and ever ready knowledge of gardening.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Always wonderful to hear memories of someone, thanks for the smile and sharing Sylvain. I know he was always willing to share his crops with anyone and everyone. It is good to know he had an incredible memorial also.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

His paintings were not only a beautiful representation of the colorful visions he had in his mind, but also a wonderful representation of the kind hearted man he was. He donated so many for the fundraising efforts of charities. I'll certainly miss his stories of what plant snippet he brought home from the zoo, or how many kittens just showed up on his porch!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

How sad I am to read this - Jeremy and I corresponded and traded many times over the years. My heartfelt sympathy to Christina.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

When I first found Dave's Garden I was new to Florida and was very discouraged with growing anything. Then I met Jeremy in the Florida Gardening forum . Jeremy was very instrumental in helping me garden in Florida. Jeremy invited me to his home and gave me plants and advise to get me started. I could always count on Jeremy for the best advise. Jeremy you will be missed.

I have a dvd of Jeremy's memorial coming. As Gracie said it was awesome.
I will post it on U-tube and share the link when that is done.
Christine is doing well.
Sidney

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Many thanks, Sidney. It's nice to hear from you.

Keep well.
Sylvain.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for letting us know. I look forward to viewing the memorial.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Though we never met in person Jeremy was a Force in my life.
I have prints of several of his paintings and truly loved talking Tropicals and Life w/ him.

A 'Jeremy Story'.
One Spring years back my neighbors were going to visit relatives in Jax.
I got in touch w/ Jeremy and he said to have them give him a call when they got down there.
He was going to give them a couple of plants for me.
They hooked up and he gave them the grand yard tour.
And BTW my neighbors were by no means avid gardeners.....yet! lol!
Breaking off cuttings and pulling out plants as they went Jeremy loaded them up.
Then a while later he came to his Big Box Collection............
(Jeremy would hit the Garden Shop at Lowes, etc. and buy racks of annuals at clearance.
I'm talking those roll around racks full of flats for a couple of bucks.)
Clearance in FL is a bit before our actually planting dates here in OH.
He called me and asked if I could use some Marigolds and such........ I said he could send us a few.
Our neighbors came home w/ 25 flats! Stacked like dinner plates in the back of their SUV.
ALL the yards around us were full of plants that Summer!
Our neighbors are now AVID Tropical Gardeners.... and the Plumaria cuttings he sent are starting into their Spring bud again!

Every Spring and all Summer we hit the Big Box Stores and 'Do a Jeremy'.
Like Him we have FAR more plants than we have room to plant in.... and like Him we still keep adding!

Rest Well my Friend!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/200/

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

What a beautiful tribute! Everytime a plant blooms, or a seed sprouts, the spirit of a very giving man lives on! Jeremy was a colorful person, as were his beautiful paintings, and his plants. Sprout on!

Ric,
I'll see to it that Christine and Jeremy's wonderful friends see your tribute.
I still have his last email asking if I have any of the variegated pink leafed ipomoea, or ornamental sweet potato.
Christine has shared some of his treasures with me and I fully intend to get some root beer plant before it disappears.
I am counting on Jeremy to linger with me in my butterfly garden. We discussed it before he left.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sidney!
You and Jeremy will be on our minds when we visit Baker's Acres this Spring!

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Jeremy for all the years you contributed to our cause.
maybe those plants we swapped in years gone by started off from your collection ?.
Finally we made it to the beautiful Jacksonville Zoo last fall with the grand kids.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.