Well dang - posted pics of garden in wrong forum

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's the text from my posting in Perennials. I meant to put it here because the plants that I have found to work might not make it in most of the country, so it's more of regional interest.

I have been trying to make a garden with hot colors - especially orange. I also added yellow and orangey red and some dark leaves and blue (or blue with purple tint) for contrast. It's been a challenge. Most of the orange plants that I have tried haven't come back after the winters and blue is really hard to come by. This year, I finally have gotten some plants that made it back, so I had to share.

If you look closely, you can see a couple of volunteer Echinaceas that are pink/magenta. I'll be pulling them out, but I waited until they bloomed in case the color would be orange.

Thumbnail by momlady
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Well I'd say you've found some success! Care to name some of your plants?

I find the magenta echies look like a hot color to me. I use them quite a bit.

Great job!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks fabulous!!! I love your use of colors. I like the orange and blue combination also, and orange and purple. Those trumpet lilies make a nice, bold upright form in your design. When I get a moment with a camera, I'll try to get some shots to share too.

I've been crazily busy lately organizing a summer reading program for my elementary school, and have 15 tutors and 35 children signed up. Now I get to "ride the wave" and enjoy seeing them read together. So, my garden has suffered, but I just paid a worker guy to come weed and haul compost and I should be back in operation with the plants.

Thanks! It's fun to finally get some flower color in there. I know it's not supposed to be as important as form and leaf color, but I'm old fashioned - give me those flowers!!
I'd love to see pics of your gardens, 13Turtles (why exactly13?) and mauryhillfarm.

Let's see...

Blue/Blueish:
Echinops ritro
Delphineum elatum 'Black Knight' and'Magic Fountains' and 'Blue Bird'
Delphineum grandiflorum 'Summer Nights'
Geranium 'Rozanne'
Saliva 'May Night'
Baptisia australis (not in bloom)
Aconite napellus (hidden and not doing well)
Aster frikartii 'Wonder of Staffa' (hidden)
Salvia 'Hians' (hidden)
a Hydrangea that was here when we moved in, so I don't know the specific variety.

Orange:
Daylily 'Primal Scream' (hidden)
Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle' (hidden)
Helenium 'Short and Sassy' (hidden)
Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' (hidden)
Lilium 'Matrix'
volunteer Calendulas
Geum 'Totally Tangerine' (hidden)
Geum 'Mango Lassi' (not in bloom)
Asclepias tuberosa
Echinacea 'Hot Papaya'
Helenium 'Mardi Gras' and 'Sophie'
Gaillardia 'Fanfare'
Echinacea 'Sundown' and 'Sunset'
Lilium 'Anaconda' and 'African Queen'
Potentilla 'Mango Tango' (hidden)
Kniphofias - various disappointing varieties - the only good one is the Popsicle) - (hidden and not in bloom)
Chrysanthemum 'Fine Feathers' and 'Mickey' (hidden, no blooms yet)
Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset' and 'Cappuccino' (hidden)

Yellow or Gold:
Yarrow 'Moonshine'
Heliopsis helianthoides 'Summer Nights' and 'Summer Sun'
Coreopsis verticillata (hidden)
Solidago 'Fireworks' (not in bloom)
Hemerocallis 'Bill Norris'
Corydalis 'Lutea'

Dark Leaves:
Heuchera 'Obsidian'
Cotinus 'Grace'
Berberis thubergii 'Crimson Pygmy'
Sedum 'Sunset Cloud' (hidden)

Light Green Leaves:
Cotinus 'Golden Spirit'

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, thanks for the names. The plants are so gorgeous.

My garden is not much...yet, I hope!...but here are some pics.

As to the 13.....dunno! Just like the number :~D

Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

What a good idea to put the hoops right on the garden boxes. Are you able to grow veggies through the winter in those?
Your echinaceas look so healthy. I don't seem to have a good touch with them, and mine are quite a bit smaller.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you.

We just built the boxes this summer, so we don't know yet about the winter, but I'm sure going to try! The idea was also that after hoops are not necessary -- they slide out of larger diameter PVC set in the boxes through the seat -- we can set up trellises over the walkways for harvesting beans and such. That is what is about to happen next; we'll see how it works!

And next year the plan is to build a third bed.

13Turtles - Thanks for sharing your garden - looking at your great setup is inspiring me to get my rear in gear and make one again. I have used that scheme with hoops/trellises set into bigger PVC on a raised bed, and it works wonderfully. You will enjoy it for years to come. It makes it really easy to set up and tear down each year. What is the red in the last pic? And what is the tall thing in the bed - could it be a sunflower?

mauryhillfarm - I am with you on the echinaceas - those look great. I was talking with someone in the plant business and she said the new, fancy echinaceas are "wimpy" (her word) compared to the classic echinaceas. Mine always struggle, but 13T has the magic touch! What are you growing this year?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.