FULL PICS OF GARDEN ONE....

East Uniontown, PA

This is the full pic that I promised to send....To note, there are several flowers in the garden , double pink, coconut lime and Magnus where there are more than one...However, all of the varieties I had listed are here.....Additionally, the large, tall pink coneflower at the far end I had a pic of here as a Double Decker....Some have pointed out that it's a Pink Poodle....And it has all the characteristics, however, halfway down the plant I have four flowers that are true double decker with the cone in the middle and another flower on top....Quite unusual to me...In the back I planted some Marigolds in containers for some more color...As I mentioned there are 2 split combos---Magnus with Coconut Lime, andPrarie Splendor with White Swan..Happy gardening to all!......Will start pics on Garden two shortly....

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Fabulous!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I think that is the prettiest grouping of mixed coneflowers that I have ever seen.

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

King...that is a great grouping of coneflowers! Very attractive!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

kingconeflower - How are you coneflower looking this far into summer? I know they were beautiful at the time your above picture was taken. Post us a picture of them now. My experience with coneflower are that they are pretty for a while, then mine take on this, not so pretty phase. Just wondering if there is something else I can do to keep mine looking pretty throughout the seasons.

East Uniontown, PA

Hi Brenda.....Only now looked here.....So forgive me....As you know, I have two coneflower gardens.....Number one is posted.....And yesterday I cut ALL the plants for the last time there....I keep about 8-10 inches of foliage, and in some places a few flowers for the birds.....Now, tom. or so, I will post a few pics of Garden number two.....It gets 4-5 more hours of shade a day, and actually looks pretty good right now....Not a singe variety from Garden one is in number two....Coneflowers love moist, very well drained soil....If you're planting in lots of hard clay, it's a losing battle....I have very hard clay, but bust the bottom of the hole up real good with an iron bar while mixing in amendments...Some use gypsum to add to the clay......They love COMPOST!!!!....I use some mushroom compost, some sand,lots of good topsoil(not bought in bags at the store...lol!!) and double shredded hardwood mulch and sometimes coco shells.....My favorites, without a doubt, have been the POW WOWS,CHEYENNE SPIRIT(THAT'S A GOOD ONE!),RUBY STAR, PICA BELLA, WHITE SWAN, DOUBLE PINK, COCONUT LIME AND KIM'S KNEE HIGH....I have 5 sombreros planted, love the looks and durability, but will wait till this winter passes through to give final judgment.....Good luck and happy Gardening to all!!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

King - Your cones are beautiful as always. Thanks for the growing info on them. I'll have to pamper mine a lot more.

East Uniontown, PA

I just wanted to add a few more things in addition to yesterdays post and pics....Yes, coneflowers may start out let's say at a bright orange, then fade to different shades of off orange....Ditto for the other colors....I find that just the nature....When planting new ones, I always try to get the gallon size, if not, next closest to it.....Most of mine I get locally, but SANTA ROSA is a good online site....Every three years I split them in the spring by taking out of the ground,and carefully dividing them by hand or with two pitchforks back to back....This year I combined 4 split plants and mad a nice combo(pics enclosed(coconut lime mixed with magnus, and white swan with prarie coneflower)....Other halves I gave to neighbors....Let me mention that some varieties, like for me , HOT PAPAYA and TIKI TORCH(Don't ever but that one!) are done blooming quite early.....So really, sometimes it's not you, but the coneflower type.....Of course, you MUST DEADHEAD, and there are those that actually cut the plant in half at mid-season to prolong bloom.....Right now in S.W. Pa., most of the echis are on their way out for the season, notably the hybrids....The old standbys like purple coneflower, magnus, prarie etc., are still going on....Again, if planting in clay, make the hole much wider and a bit deeper, bust up the clay, add amendments and 3-4 inches of this atop the clay, then plant.....In the first year only, use a mild fertilizer with a somewhat low nitrogen number(the first one), around 10=12, and the other two at around 6-8.....Water for about the first 3 weeks only, and let them learn to stand on their own....Every year, I dig at the outer edge of the plants down around 3-4 inches, and mix in good compost with the soil....Of course only fertil. sparingly the first year...So, will send some pics at some point here.....Good luck.....We're in the same zone, so you shouldn't have a problem...lol!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
East Uniontown, PA

Hello again.....This is the pic of the mixture of the MAGNUS and COCONUT LIME taken earlier in the year.....The other mixture is in the first pic of previous post.....Sorry!!!!.....Chuck

Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Natick, MA

Beautiful flowers and SO beautiful together. I never would have thought to do a garden area with just coneflowers. It's very striking!

East Uniontown, PA

Well Val, once you get the echinacea fever, there is no cure....Lol!!!!......Quite easy to get started....Best of luck to all....Cheyenne Spirit here....Will post pics of garden two soon....

Thumbnail by kingconeflower

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.