Water, water everywhere

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

My new cat Waffles is splashing the water around in her water dish. It's kind of funny she has her paw in the water while she is drinking. Then she is trying to get the water in her paw so she can drink from her paw. The tray her dishes are in and the floor are are soaked. She is going through the bowl of water in a day.

Any ideas as to what to do to limit the spread of water?

Here is a picture of Waffles.

Thumbnail by elsie
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

You might try a different shape bowl. If it's too deep she might not trust it or if
it's too shallow she might not be sure how deep the water is. Worth experimenting.
If she had been on the street in her past she may be super cautious. Or just playing!
I volunteer at an animal shelter and am so happy you rescued Waffles.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks June - I'll try that.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

You might also need to put a towel or rug under it! Such a pretty kitty!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Vicki, I put some paper towels under her water dish. I put a small bowl out. I think I'm going to try putting a towel under the bowl and put the bowl in the middle of the tray. Now she has her food on the rug leaving little bits behind. I'm pretty sure her new name will be goofy.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL! It is whatever works for the 2 of you. We will adjust to whatever you name her! LOL

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I use the lid of a large rubbermaid container under my cats' dishes. The lid has sort of a 'lip' around the edge that helps keep everything on the lid. Also, it washes up very easily.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sounds like she loves water. Might be part Turkish Van cat(I think that is the right name)

Sandy

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

She looks like my son's cat Dex. He loves to splash in the water, too. I got him a cat water dish that is like a fountain, and the water constantly moves and he loves it. No more splashing in the water bowl!

Deb

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Deb, thanks I will have to look for one.

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Elsie, Waffles and Stetson may be related. Maine Coons also
"break the water" before drinking.

Bonnie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been trying to figure out what Mr. Buster was doing with his bowl of water. I do believe he is breaking the water. Glad to know it's not just his off-beat personality. :)

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a "water breaker", too. He was a neighborhood cat for years and I'm guessing he learned to break the crust on frozen puddles to drink. He now drinks out of a tall pitcher set on the floor in the kitchen. He can sit upright and drink (all my boys use this pitcher) and I think he has finally stopped "breaking" the water.

Waffles is lovely! Maybe she should have a mermaid name since she like water so much.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

If she were just splashing a little water it would be fine. But she is emptying every container of water I put down for her. She filled her food dish with water the other day.

She is lovely but she is still a scaredy cat.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Elsie, rescue cats often have been on the street and learned to be fearful.
It can take time for them to build trust and she's just been with you for a short
while. Her timidity will pass eventually. My cat, Charlie, still after 5 years needs
someone to stand or sit nearby before he will comfortably eat. He will actually
call us or come get us to "protect" him while he eats. I'm sure that came from
the time he was a small one year old stray and bigger, meaner cats attacked
him to steal whatever food the poor little guy could find.

Perhaps you can try a shallow saucer with just a few tablespoons of water and
put it some distance away from her food dish to see if she can learn to lap, not splash?
When/if she quits splashing you can gradually add more water but I'd avoid ever
giving her a full bowl lest that encourage her to play Dip 'n Splash again. ;-)

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks June. I feel bad for her since she is scared. Right now the two bowls are containing the floods.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.