FIRST FLOWERS OF SUMMER!! AUGUST Edition :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Time for a fresh thread:

Here are some new ones from our yard:

Osteospermum going strong - annual type
Annual - unsure which
Annual - Diascia and friends
Annual - zinnias, which are my new favorite annual
Yellow - Omg I'm totally blanking on the name of this plant but I got it from someone at the swap

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368912/

Lobelia gerardii Vedrariensis
NOID Phlox - this one broke in half last year so this is its first blooming season
NOID Campanula
Persicaria affinis 'Darjeeling Red' 
NOID Phlox from Aspen at the swap

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Believe your "Yellow-Omg" is Corydalis lutea.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I second that David. Mine had been blooming for what seems like a month. Great plant.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Corydalis lutea, mmm, I am not quite as in love as when I first got it. To me, the looks are offset some by the unpredictable self sowing, and mine would dry up in spring after the bloom, I wonder if this years frequent rain has kept them blooming for you guys.

I am more fond of Corydalis cheilanthfolia
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2193/

It's a smaller overall more compact plant (but not tiny) very pretty ferny leaves. The flowers are more delicate. I can get you started on it, I have plenty going.

My pink Brug has been flowering but Dr Seuss and Maya are still holding off giving me their first flowers. Pink is in a place with more moisture, but I've really tried to keep up with the other two, and they have grown well. Just biding their time

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys, I had a brain fart...LOL

I'll take one of those Sally, they're beautiful :)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Seq, your annuals are gorgeous! I planted begonias in my Death Bed for some summer color and - surprise! - they're dead. Do you remember the name of your dwarf zinnias?

Donner, your brugs have been blooming since May?! :O I have fertilized with Osmocote, fish emulsion, and also Dyna-Gro. I'd guess around every other week, but there's a lot of Osmocote mixed into the soil. I can't believe you only water once a week! Mine gets droopy if not watered for 2-3 days.

I got a corydalis as an impulse buy a couple of weeks ago. Very cute ferny leaves.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

our Corydalis lutea has been blooming all summer too

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry SSG, I don't remember what they're called. I got a few last year and I was impressed with their performance so I bought a lot more this year. Now I'm even more impressed with their performance so next year I'm going to skip getting some other annuals and just get these instead. They take off like a rocket after being planted and require no care whatsoever. I used to love vincas but after a couple years of subpar performance, I don't think I'm going to get them any more. Also, these zinnias don't really get eaten by the rabbits, unlike petunias, which they love.

Sure Seq, you got it! Tried to edit my Haves'/Wants, but got that error message. Hm, that's annoying, I have to agree.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah editing is locked up I guess. Whenever it gets fixed we can update :)

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

SSG, I knew I wasn't going to be home to water them all the time, so I had a lot of moisture crystals mixed into the potting soil. They do get doopy during my absence. As a matter of fact, the first things in sight when I drive home on Fridays are always the droopy brugs :-). My husband has watered them once or twice this summer. I don't think he really WATERS the plants. He makes them wet without getting any water to the roots, haha.

There is still hope for yours yet. According to Gita, brugs put out a lot of flowers in September/October. Keep us posted. Would love to see brug pics from you.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2014 11:15 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, have you reported your error message experience?

David I had not, but I just tried and failed again. I added my comment to that of ssg in Daves Garden forum, since she said the same thing ( could not edit)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My Maya has buds--YEAH!!! It finally "Y-ed"....

Dr Seuss is still just growing.

donner---
Brugs will bloom as soon as they "Y"--you know that by now.
Yes--their best flushes are usually in the fall. I think they like the cooler weather..

Do you keep your Brugs going in the house all winter? If you do--then that
would explain that they have been blooming since May.
I just bring mine out from dormancy beginning of May...
G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Things have been pretty dry in our neck of the woods, but we have a few new things starting to bloom. In our bog area we have
1. Allegheny Monkeyflower, Mimulus ringens, and
2. Spotted Jewelweed, Impatiens capensis

and elsewhere despite no additional water,

3. Devils Trumpet, Datura stramonium var. tatula and
4. Tall Larkspur, Delphinium exaltatum, a native Delphinium

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oops! Forgot our Obedient Plant.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Awesome stuff GT, I'm a big fan of monkey flower.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Obedient Plant GT, how tall is it, and how old is it? We've got white ones at work and I've been wondering if I should bring one (or 5) home with me. ;)

Robin; GORGEOUS Lantana!!! I just love those things... makes me wonder why I've yet to bring any of those babies home from work. ;) I love the green of the foliage on your yellow ones, what a great contrast, they look so healthy and lush!

I find the "discussion" of exploring other avenues interesting, but I understand the desire to keep this thread on-topic... so, is there possibly another thread in which that topic is being discussed, please? I can't seem to find it in my searches. That's all I will say about that here in this thread, thank you. :)

The most recent pic of my "back shady container garden" area.. taken yesterday (8/2/2014)

Thumbnail by speediebean

thanks, Speedie! Someone had mentioned to me the possibility of starting a thread just for discussion of exploring other avenues, but I kind of got the idea others were not too interested, so I did not start one.

Love your shady back garden, Speedie! :-)

Thank you! The pic really doesn't do it justice, especially on the right side where the Coleus is really going hog-wild. Gonna have to get out there and get some more flattering pics, that thing is really just soooo darned happy there. Will need another one next year, for the other side. All the smaller bits of reds you see in other pots came from that one plant; I think it's too late now to get any cuttings big enough to make enough of an impact.
Hmmm... maybe I'll have to try to put in more of an effort this winter to over-winter this one - I really like this colour!

Mount Laurel, NJ

I'm pleased that my little pink hydrangea has a new bud. I bought it with the blossoms already in bloom but wasn't sure it would do well. My other hydrangeas have like one blossom each, and some none. The geranium I bought in the spring is still blooming! Yea! I try to bring it in when it rains as that seems to rot the blossoms.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123 Thumbnail by coleuslover123

Speedie, would love to see additional photos of that coleus, as well as your other shade-lovers!

Coleus, very pretty hydrangea and geranium!

Coleus, your lawn is edged so beautifully. I spent three hours edging the lawn yesterday but only managed to get about 20-30 feet done. I have zoysia grass that is encroaching on the beds and needs to be dug up. I had to dig deep to get every piece of the root, then separate the clay soil from the grass. It's exhausting work!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Speedie, our Obedient Plant is about 3 feet tall and has been in place for at least 3 years now. It is a dry location with poor soil, so I expect it would perform better if made happier. Our white 'Miss Manners' has finished blooming already. Since ours (white 'Miss Manners') is in-ground and those at your nursery are in pots, our schedule is probably what yours would follow once planted.

Greenthumb, I had datura volunteers come up from the compost pile (so strange) for two years in a row now. I love the blooms but this plant kind of freaks me out. I have no problems with the castor bean plant, but the datura gives me the heebie jeebies. Hm, I've never actually spelled out heebie jeebies before...

Maybe beer with lunch wasn't the best idea.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - professional landscaper's tip - When edging beds, use a sharp, straight shovel to quickly cut the line you want. Then remove the entire mass of grass/roots/soil between the cut and your bed and discard. This leaves a drop-off going from lawn to bed that is often left as is or partially back filled with mulch. Beds can be edged very quickly this way. The drop-off transition retards the spread of the lawn bed-ward. 20 feet of bed can be edged in minutes this way. Check out where you see a crew working.

Since I don't eat my plants I have no problem with toxic ones. In fact, I've had a fascination with "forbidden plants" since high school. :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - The Datura was a volunteer, and as big as it is already, we only noticed it blooming yesterday. A complete surprise.

Speedy, your container garden is awesome!

Greenthumb, that's exactly what I was doing. I think it's called a Victorian trench?

It's time consuming because parts of my soil are soooo hard and rocky that I can't just step on it with a shovel to dig it up. I often have to resort to a mattock or loppers to cut the roots, or the horihori knife to dig out the stones. While edging the beds, I've dug up rocks as large as a watermelon (seriously!) that were buried just below the surface. Also, there used to be a weedy black locust by the fence line and the roots are still just below the surface. And my neighbor's fig roots are also just below the surface, mixed in with the zoysia roots.

The "discarding" part takes a long time, too. Since I don't have the room to compost all of it, I need to separate the soil (which I set aside for later use or take to the county transfer station) and the remaining grass which goes in the yard trash.

I actually need to get out there right now and finish the job. This is something I'd gladly pay someone else to do!

[Test edit]

This message was edited Aug 3, 2014 10:13 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually, I sowed some of those Datura seeds a year ago last winter, then forgot about them last summer. I assume this plant is of that origin,since the commonly seen Datura weed has white blooms.

Oops! I posted my bloom pictures in the old thread. I couldn't find the new thread on my phone. I'll just link to the pictures here.

Progress pictures of 2 cultivars of coreopsis:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9910344
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9910344&extraimg=0
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9910344&extraimg=1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9910344&extraimg=2

Other blooms:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9910350
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9910350&extraimg=0

This message was edited Aug 4, 2014 9:44 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Your Coreopsis are looking great, SSG! I especially like the foliage on your Euocomis Sparkling Burgundy (the flower's nice too!).

I love those natives, Greenthumb and Ecnalg, especially the Obedient Plant.
I think Mimulus ringens (Allegheny Monkeyflower) and Impatiens capensis (Spotted Jewelweed) would look great growing next to each other; I like the purple and orange combination.

Muddy, the foliage that's surrounding the Sparkling Burgundy is actually Chrysanthemum pacificum. Euocomis is very floppy for me, and the bloom stalk had sort of fallen over but got "caught" by the chrysanthemum leaves. I have another Sparkling Burgundy bloom that's just lying on the ground.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, my 'Zagreb' coreopsis is done blooming. Mine gets mostly shade though so it doesn't bloom as long as others that are in sun all day. I dug some out over the weekend and made 5 pots up for the swap and then put 3 clumps in a sunnier area so I'll have to compare next year when they get to blooming.

David, thank you for the info about Miss Manners; she sounds like she would fit into my Big Bed well. And yes, it makes perfect sense about the blooming times etc... in situ is always very different from "forced" growing conditions.

Ssg, your Coreopsis look really great!! Have you pruned any of them back at all? I cut mine back by about half a few weeks ago and now they have flushes of new growth and blooms.

Jeff, I look forward to seeing the comparison pics of yours next year, the more shade pics compared to more sun; will be neat to see the difference.

Oh yeah, the "Victorian Edging" or "Trench Edging" is how our guys at work keep up on our landscaping at work; it really looks nice... but then again, we don't have rocks (boulders??) in the soil as big as what you found Ssg, wow! Also, we've got the 20-something guys out there doing it - they make QUICK work of that job! =)

Will get more pics of the babies when I'm outside playing today.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So you guys trim your coreopsis back and get more blooms later in the season?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Can I shear my Gaillardia Burgundy (Blanketflower) back by half? Do birds eat the seed heads?

My coreopsis Red Shift is still blooming well. I think I saw a bird on the coreopsis.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Catbird, when I think there may be seed for birds,(rudbeckia for example) I cut them but put them somewhere to keep drying and maybe feed the birds. Sometimes I jam them all into a small tomato cage.
That red flower is very pretty- is it the Gaillardia?

Coreopsis Moonbeam has never stopped blooming, so I never cut it back. It's just gotten more and more floriferous.

Zagreb put on a huge flush then stopped blooming altogether. I did a little experiment with Zagreb and cut down one and left the other one alone. The one that I deadheaded hasn't grown back at all. The one that I left alone (picture link above) is continuing to bloom with just a few flowers at a time.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting SSG. I can imagine it in my mind ;P

Sally, I think that red flower in Catbird's post is her 'red shift' coreopsis, which looks very pretty btw.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.