Apids love my Asclepias

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Specifically, the incarnata. Last year I was able to hose them mostly off. This year, while I wasn't paying attention, they have completely coated three of the 6 stalks. Aside from getting rid of them, should I move the clump? Could it be happening because the microclimate is not ideal? Or simply because it's the most delish aphid food in the yard?

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

are your aphids yellow? everyone gets them on whatever asclepias. it is one of those facts of life.
personally, i get the best results from hand squishing and am careful to check that there are not any tiny caterpillars in the mix. i also get some help from the lady beetles. i can clean up 6 stalks in a few minutes with my hands. of course the fingers turn yellow but it does wash out. moving the clump will not help. not a big deal...no disaster, it is just something that each one of us works out in our own way. i am assuming you mean "asclepias" rather than some kind of other "incarnata". if you mean some other kind of "incarnata", then excuse me.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Aphids usually attack healthy lush growth, so moving the plant would probably do more harm than good in the long run. When they get out of control, I hose them off - but I usually leave them to attract Ladybugs. You can't keep Ladybugs or Lacewings around unless they have something to eat.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Great, thanks v & p. It helps me to know it's a sign of a healthy plant. They are the bright yellow kind.

Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

I moved my Asclepias plants.

For some reason, where they are now they don't get any aphids, not to mention the lady bugs like the same area. When I had the cage up on my south deck- they showed up everyday, despite my killing them everyday. I gave up, and moved them. I don't have any protection for them however - I'm observing what nature throws at them and the cats for now.

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

I have milkweed in three separate areas in the yard and had a major aphid infestation in all three areas a couple of months ago. I used a combination of squishing and hosing them off, but had to stopped hosing them because of our water shortage. But I found that if you squish daily you'll get most of them. However, this was the worst infestation I've ever had and after a month or so I got tired of them returning so bought two tubs of ladybugs and let them go to work. (I was surprised that they were only $7 a tub - seems like much less than several years ago.) The nursery told me to wait until almost dusk, water the plants where you'll put the lady bugs, and then release them. That way they have water and food and no reason to leave so they should still be there in the morning ready to start eating. That seemed to do the trick and I'm now aphid free.
Best of luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.