cercropia mouth caterpillar in my yard

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

Found this guy tonight on my serviceberry tree! How cool.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

I ment moth lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats queenbeez, what's a find! How is the fella doing now?

Lol well the next I found another one! They are doing great munching away getting big.I put a bunch off wood and bark below the tree hoping they make their cocoons there.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

Here's what I did at the bottom of the tree.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

Yes!!! My plan worked he made his cocoon on my tree! I had to move some of the bark to find him. I still have one more caterpillar up there munching away too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awesome!!! Thank you for those great photos.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

YAY!! queenbeez! I have found a few great moths in the last few years. They truly rival butterflies for beauty. It started with a Luna moth caterpillar 3 years ago, and since then I have found a Hickory Horned Devil caterpillar, a Promethea Caterpillar and an Imperial moth Caterpillar. All of which(except the Horned Devil) I brought inside and fed its host until it coccooned and eclosed. They are SO amazing!
The Cecropia Moth is on my must see list, because my mom had a tattoo of one. When she was a child she had one land on her shoulder where it stayed for a long time fluttering its wings. She told me it was as if it was whispering a secret in her ear.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.