cat litter, cat litter everywhere

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

My new rescue, Sweet Pea is throwing tons of litter outside the box every time she uses it. I have a normal sized litter box. Any suggestions on how to contain this?

Thumbnail by elsie
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Get a deeper box. Seriously. Our big litter boxes are about 8" deep, and it keeps the litter contained pretty well. Since our youngest cat considers using the box a triumph, she too scatters far and wide in celebration.

Since we have multiple cats I buy the big black pans from Farm and Fleet that I believe they use for oil changes on semis. They are about 20" X 30". We have two of them.

Target, and probably other stores, have deeper boxes too, in their closet accessory area that are deeper than a regular litter pan too.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks Meezerfive. I figured as much. I just don't know where I will be able to put it. I guess I need to get some rearranging done.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Some of them never get over doing the happy scatter when they're done so you might as well find a good spot.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

AND I THOUGHT OUR Romeo WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS IT IS HIS PERSONAL PLAYGROUND !

Elsie, your baby darling is beautiful !

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

She's also been pawing her drinking water all over the place. Then she drinks from her paw. She's cute but she's nuts.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I use a deep litter box with a removable domed cover. It helps.

At the animal shelter where I work we don't use clay litter, we use the
wood pellets made for stoves. With the large number of cat rooms
and litter pans we couldn't possibly keep up with sweeping clay litter
and the pellets are far less messy. All our cat rooms are surprisingly
odor free too. We do use very large stainless steel pans purchased
from restaurant suppliers and those are changed out and sterilized
twice a day.

Elsie, I think your adorable Sweet Pea is just showing how she had
to survive in her past life. Pawing up water from a puddle was likely a
lot safer for her than sticking her head in. Give her time. She'll keep you
amused while she learns to be a civilized girl.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks June. I'm sure she will come around. She certainly is amusing.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I use plastic bins and cut a piece out of the side for the cats to enter because I have old and crippled cats. With a youngster - she should be able to hop right in. The last bin I got was almost 13" tall. I do the tall litter boxes because I have one who doesn't squat to pee!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

And I have one who faces forward to pee, then turns around and scratches
litter out the opening. You often can't win with cats. ;-)

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We are hard to train.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I ended up getting a larger litter box at Walmart. It is much taller with a lower side for access. So far it is working much better.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

You can't win with a cat - might as well just give in and work with them. LOL!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

So far I am not winning with this one. I bet I vacuumed up a container of litter off the rug. I keep thinking in my head - were you raised in a barn? And then I think maybe so.

She started out eating her dry food but now doesn't seem to touch it. Should I mix some into her canned food?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Wet food is better for them because they don't usually drink enough water. You can feed her two or three times a day if she's young and hungry but if you get a no grain food, it will keep her full longer. It seems pricey to pay for a no grain product but it pays off because the grain makes it look like a larger amount of food than it really is. Grain just passes through their system undigested as it provides no real nourishment. . I'm surprised to see how small and compact our cats' feces is compared to when they ate Science Diet brand. It really pays off health wise . If you want to try a no grain dry food by Taste of the Wild, and ours are crazy about the venison and salmon. They think it's treats and that's how we treat it, just a handful for the five of them at bedtime.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks I appreciate the info.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I think I will try Taste of the Wild again for our cats. Maybe they won't barf it up this time.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, don't give them just that. Try just a few in with their usual food. They don't like drastic changes in diet, usually makes them hurl. Iris is a professional, she likes to get up on something so she can get maximum distribution. Like on the basement stairs. Wheeeeeeee!!
Blech.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I did mix it last time...............jeez, guess I have to put it in 1 piece at a time..............LOL

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Must be their delicate constitutions! We use it as a pre-bedtime treats. Fiona and Iris don't care for it but Tao, Souky and the Princess like it just fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.