jean purse

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I LOVE denim, I love to reuse jeans in quilts and as many other things as possible! This is a purse I finished as a gift for my cousin.

I should have taken pictures of the INSIDE of the purse. I completely lined it with the zebra print and added compartments. I even extended the front pocket so it's deep enough for a cell phone. The strap is long enough to wear across the body. I really like the way the handle turned out. By cutting the zebra an inch wider than the denim I got the look of a binding in zebra print.

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2

I needed something to donate to a fund raiser so when I was posting the first purse I thought of making a 2nd purse for donating. . So here's #2 purse to donate, the first 3 pictures. Also some inside #1 purse and close up of the decorative pocket of this purse. Sorry the detail with all the pocket inside don't show.

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Well you need to make me one to fit my Ipad...lol

Harvest, AL

I love this idea. I am currently deconstructing a pair of mens shorts to do this very thing. I did remove the huge back pockets to make smaller bags from, and I am looking for a the perfect fabric to sew back onto the shorts where the old pockets were.

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

very cute ...another denim crazy crafter ...

Ya, I LOVE denim!!

*sniff* my cousin did not like her purse.... I apparently offended her. Oh well, I really did make it for her with only the best of intentions. It seems my purse meant the one she had wasn't good enough. I had added SEVERAL features that I had thought would make her life easier.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Pat, that is terrible on her part. How many female's have just one purse?
I thought it was a beautiful purse.

Welll dang,, get it back and send it to Elfie!!

Poor Elfie only has one purse!! And 3 backpack thingies for her ipad!!

If I could get back, I WOULD send it to ELFIE!! She would at least appreciate it. I was very proud of the way it turned out, I really LIKED it! Oh well. Not every good intention is well received.

I know, I gave my son several pieces of Jewelry that belonged to my husbands mother for his wife. My son took it all home, for all I know she threw it all away. She never even acknowledged that I sent it. I wish I could get it all back,,,,sigh.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I loved your purse too, Pat. The best thing about it is it was made with love. I keep having this $40,000 plus purse pop up on my searches. A Hermes rare ostrich "bag" with no love involved in the making. Your cousin apparently wants/needs more from you than a purse.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

She must have liked the purse if she kept it?

WOW How RUDE!! your purse was awesome Pat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

It's a beautiful purse! Gee whiz ... :(

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, I love your purse. I don't suppose you give out instructions on how to make it. I'm sure I have some old jeans around but wouldn't know where to start on making the lining and putting it in.

Pam

Pam if you have basic sewing skills, it's not hard at all.

If you are serious about instructions, and have a pair of jeans & fabric to use for lining, I can try to make you up a tutorial.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

You have mail.

Thanks.

Pam

Oh Pam you should post your tutorial here :)

I'd be happy to do that but I really don't have time for make another one right now and taking PICTURES as I go would make the process much easier to understand.

Cut the front and back of the jean purse the same size, you can either make it "envelope" style, IE, flat, or you can make it so you provide depth, like a grocery bag.

I cut it to leave the waist band as the finished edge for front and back. You can either leave the front pocket the way it is, or you can seam it and make it longer so it can serve as a cell phone pocket. IF you want it for a cell phone, you might want to add a little piece of velcrose to keep your phone from falling out.

Stitch the front to the back, with right sides together. Either leave it envelope OR stitch across the bottom corners it to give the bag depth. Measure how big around the bag is, length and width.

You can cut ONE piece of the lining about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the jean, but the same size the finished jean purse. this will be the liner. Hem the top edge by turning it twice. Cut another piece 3/4 inch shorter than the first piece this will make pockets for lining. Hem the top by turning it twice.

Put the wrong side of the pocket over the right side of the lining, making the bottom edges even. Stitch down from top to bottom of the pocket thru the lining. How close you sew determines the size of the pockets. Think about placement INSIDE the purse when you determine where to sew.

Stitch the 2 raw sides of the lining together which makes a tube like lining. You can simply stitch across the bottom if you made the purse envelope style. IF not, you will need to sew across the corner the same distance as the denim purse.

Slip the lining into the purse, right side of lining facing inside purse against the wrong side of the purse (inside). Slip stitch/ baste the lining along the waist band lower edge. Put a couple of stitches thru the bottom to tack the lining into the bottom of the purse.

NOW... the strap. The zebra purse pictured has a fun purse strap that I LOVE! It's a little harder to make but I think it's worth it. Cut a strip of the denim only 1.5 inches wide by about 27. Cut a piece of lining/zebra 2.5 inches by 29. Starting 1 inch up from the bottom of the zebra print, stitch the right side of the zebra to the right side of the denim using only a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Now either serge or zigzag the edge so it won't unravel on you. The next seam is a little harder, match the opposite sides up and sew again only making 1/4 inch seam allowance and then stitch the outer edge with serger or zigzag.

Put a BIG safety pin thru just the denim and thread it thru the inside of the tube, this will eventually turn your strap right side out. Because the zebra print is wider than the denim, it will give you a nice 1/4 inch trimmed zebra print on both sides. Iron it flat and top stitch thru on both sides. You can fold up the long edges twice and finish it off that way, topstitching thru the strap thru on the outside of the purse, or you can cut it those long edges off and attach the strap inside the purse.

I don't have time to stitch a purse up right now or I would and take pictures as I go. Let me know if you NEED pictures. I have one of my sons coming home from China with his wife and he will be staying for a month. I have a LOT to do to get ready for their visit!

Let me know how it goes or whether you want to put it off for a bit so I can devote more time to PICTURES.

:)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Your purse is sooooo adorable! It is just beautiful!

You did an awesome job! You can send it to me anytime!
I love purses! Someday I'll be back to get the tutorial....I have
old jeans!

LOVE IT!

Ontario, CA

I really loved the innovation that you have made in this purse.You can have different color of ribbons for hanging the bag just try once in BBCrafts.

Toronto, Canada

That purse is real neat! I used jeans to make a pencil case-like thingamajig, but yours looks way better than mine ;).

I've made several purses since but my favorite is still the first one pictured with black & white zebra trim.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I love them. Hope you do put up some pictures when you get time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.