What Ya' Got Cookin' 2014 Part 4 Sweet Summers' End

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--

Here is an appetizer to die for! I often bring it to parties....
It is simple to do--and freezes well .
You won't find this in any cook books--as I got the recipe from an
old, Estonian lady in the 70's. May be some copy-cat ones around.
---BTW--Wallmart sells Thomas English muffins for $2. ---
Everywhere else they are $4.54 per pack. These freeze well too. Stock up.

CRAB MELTAWAYS—BROILED
( from Gita)

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (6) “Thomas English Muffins” Original flavor.
8-10oz. Fresh Crab Claw meat. (Most crab meat come in a 16oz tub).
1 stick butter (softened)
6-8oz-Old English fine grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbs BEST Mayonnaise (don't measure-just use a reg, Tbs.)
½ tsp seasoned salt
½ tsp garlic salt
***I also added 1 tsp. “Old Bay”seasoning (or to taste).

Directions:

Split each muffin in half—then cut in 1/4's--and place on a cookie sheet.
***( 1/4's are very small pieces. I sliced mine in 1/3's.)
***(I also sprayed OO on the pieces and toasted them a bit first)

Soften butter and mix well all ingredients in a bowl and spread on muffins.
**** Can FREEZE at this point—put flat on a cookie sheet or Pizza pan.
Then bag up frozen “bites” in a Zip-Loc baggies. Good to have on hand.

Broil for about 5 min on low. OR--
Bake about 10-12 min. in reg, oven at 400* until browned.
****A toaster oven works great for these.….One cycle of toasting-and done!
Besides—you don't have to turn on the big oven...:o)

Serve immediately while hot! YUMMM...If frozen, thaw first-then bake..

****Note: Sliced “Baguette” bread could easily substitute for the muffins.
Slice about1/2” thick –and proceed as directed above.
****Toasting first gives the “bites” body—easier to hold as finger food.

****IF you can afford better Crab Meat than Claw—it would taste awesome.
Pick your own crabs for this-(12 should do) and get a richer mix of meats.

“**** in front means a comment on something, or--I did it differently.

Enjoy! Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, I've had those crab meltaways before when you brought them one time to Sally's house. They were really good. No Aldis around here that I know of.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

There is one in Frederick on 40, right across the street from Outback. It is not really visible from 40, sort of set back a bit.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I haven't seen that at Aldi here, but they have a French loaf we started getting that is really good.

Mark says he's going to look up a Cuban recipe he had last week at a restaurant.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Snow got me in a baking mood today... Baked a double batch of snickerdoodles, which vanished when I took them outside to hand around, then baked another batch of pumpkin bread. I'm still tweaking that recipe, trying to get it prize-worthy for the next Frederick Fair!

Joyanna and I started with the premise that most pumpkin bread simply doesn't have enough pumpkin in it. I've been making it without added butter or oil, just so it's "better" for us, but I caved and put a stick of butter in this time -- yep, made a difference. I used a cup of whole wheat flour to compensate LOL. I've also started using a cup of hard cider, partly because then I get to drink the rest of the bottle (I'm a lightweight, so 4 oz. is just right before dinner!).

I also made the dough for "cocoa snowflakes" or "chocolate crinkles" or whatever you want to call them, but didn't bake them off. The dough needs to be refrigerated, then rolled into balls and coated in powdered sugar before baking... the cookies crackle so the chocolate shows through the sugar... they taste like wonderful little brownie bites.

We made a fire but never got around to grilling the "steak-ums" I picked up at Aldi's. We were too full of pumpkin bread! We did toast a couple of marshmallows, though.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pat - I'll have to check out that Aldis next time I'm in Frederick.

Heya Jill - talking about butter on the baking, Cheryl's son Mark who does a lot of baking, swears by using Country Crock sticks instead of traditional butter. I can't remember what he said the difference was in how the cookies come out, but I definitely remember it was Country Crock.

The fat will make a difference in regard to melting point and how much actual fat there is per stick. But I can't say which is best for what. Just that switching fats can sometimes surprise you.

Lovely big pot (2 pounds) of split pea soup, with grilled cheese. I set up the soup this morning so DS2 could cook dinner by doing the grilled cheese tonight. Yay! And he did a grocery trip for me. I kept it sorta simple. He texted me at one point "I'm totally lost' but did manage to get everything- $56 worth. Yay!

Going to Amish market tomorrow for things that take 'choosing' like meats. They liked the frog jam so I'll get some.
GIta- big favor- if you see this before you go to RIchardsons, will you look for 'Amish Wedding Traffic Jam"? and get me a big jar? DS2 Kevin loved it. I'll pay you at swap day.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I may go to Richardson's tomorrow--need stuff for Chicken Broth/stock.

Will get you the jam--but i think they all come in the same size jars.
Like Salad dressings....Not "big"...SO--I can get you TWO????

How about the chicken bones????/ Too early? I can freeze them...
What kind, and how many do you want?

Any of the smoked Turkey parts? Tails...necks...wings...Drumsticks?

IF you go to the Amish market--get their smoked Turkeyparts-- whatever....
It is to die for!

two regular jars sounds good. Thanks!
We'll skip the chicken bones for now, let me see if Amish mkt has some. I am too busy adjusting to my new schedule for now, to make homemade stock a priority.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Anyone use a pressure cooker to make stock or soup? I have, and it is fabulous and under an hour fast.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-make-stock-in-a-pressure-cooker-slow-cooker.html

Well, that was really surprising to me! I wrongly assumed the slow cooker did it better. I will have to unearth Mom's slow cooker. Thanks for posting that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I make my stock in the oven, since my brother shared that tip with me. I can get 2 turkey "carcasses" into my big roasting pan if I break them up a bit. Cover mostly with water... If you put the heat up to 400, whatever bones are above the surface will brown nicely, saving you that step... give it a stir once or twice an hour to move different bits to the top.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well----

I went to Richardson's and bought all kinds of chicken parts. The breast bones bag,
4 whole legs, 4 backs,and 3 additional thighs. Wings cost too much!
They are all in a pot now....cooking.

Re the bag of breast bones--they have this 3lb, bag of breast bones (loaded with meat)
that is left over from filleting the breasts-- for $1.50.
There is enough white meat on those bones than you will need for a
med. pot of soup.

Now I have a question..opinions please:

I will not have time today to fully complete this whole soup cooking. It is already 2PM.
My plan is to let the bones/junk parts cook themselves to death for ~ 3-4 hrs. Just as is.
Nothing added yet....No spices, nothing...
Then I will fish out all the bones& chicken parts and sit down to a leisurely de-boning.
and.............Munch...munch..munch....

This evening, after all that, I will cut up all the veggies that go into the soup for tomorrow.
Then--I will let the broth sit until tomorrow...maybe in the fridge--so i can remove the fat...

Then--tomorrow--i will continue to, actually, make the soup. This will be Chicken Noodle Soup.

Here is where I need your opinion

Will doing it this way make any big difference? Doing the bones separate=broth--
then all the rest tomorrow???

In a way--this seems simpler--and a lot less messy....as it is always so hard to fish out
all the bones and meat bits with all the veggies and spices floating around--and in the way.

You all know me! I will ask you for opinions--and then do it the way I think will be best...
BUT--now and then, someone has a much better idea....and I will try it out.

I have checked out several cook books and they are all pretty basic---A carcass--
then carrots, celery, onion, and spices...
Will look for some more cook-book ideas...but my broth is already cooking....

Please do nor mention canned broths or veggies...soup starters--or other "processed"
additives to make it faster. I DO NOT do that!!! Home made IS ALL home made!

Thanks--Gita

I do that Gita. I cook the bones with only flavoring vegetables like ends of carrots etc. Then those flavoring scraps get tossed, and the final soup is assembled with nice vegetables.
I do it because I want to simmer the bones a long time but not the vegetables, don't want dissolved veg. And if using breast parts, I can strain out those tiny rib bones before losing them in the vegetables.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Same thing here... in fact, if there is meat that I want to have in the final soup, I'll de-bone once it's cooked enough to slide off the bones, then return the bones to the stock to simmer longer. I don't like to simmer out all the flavor from meat, or to turn veggies into mush.

right, or dry the meat out by over cooking...
When I pick over the bones, the cat and dog get all kinds of good skin and cartilage.

Chicken cacciatore, cauliflower

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My soup is all done and put in 14 different containers.
Tomorrow--I will try to find room for 12 of them in the freezer.,,

I think it turned out pretty OK--I just forgot to put some corn in the soup-
I wanted to....but forgot.

While de-boning all the chicken stuff--I ate everything I could chew...
like every bit of cartridge--that's good for you--right?

Now--I will give a bowl to Olga--and take a bowl to Tony at work on Sunday.
He was SO sick last Sunday--he came in and went home within 2 hours time.
Chicken soup would have been awesome....instead--he got my bean soup
I made last week--with buttered bread and an orange for desert.

YES! I spoil him! Love the man! G.

I do think I've read that Yes the cartilage is good for you, even if just the stuff dissolved in the broth.
I can't quite bring myself to eat cartilage.
8 ^P

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I eat a good bit of cartilage, I like it and what I don't Alfie does. We both need better joint health.

I scored 2-9oz packs of Buitoni spicy beef and sausage ravioli while shopping yesterday @ 50% off. That under $4.48 a #. That with marinara sauce and a salad will be dinner. When I cruise the meat aisle looking for specials I also check the fresh pasta just for this reason.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good reminder about the fresh pasta. Enjoy

I made some chili for dinner at church tonight. Soups and chili

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

In this dreary, snowy weather--you may want to spend some time being creative
with "Lil Smokies" appetizers. Too cute!

From Martha Stewart Magazine.... Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They are cute but I'll just continue to throw mine in some Sweet Baby Rays!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Taking the easy way out tonight. I was hungry for fish, those darn Arby's ads, so it's Mrs. Pauls and hash browns. They had a bogo at Giant last week on Mrs. Pauls.

Dang Ric, I do love me some restaurant battered fish filet. My family isn't a huge fan of Mrs Paul's et al.
Beef stew, slow cooker.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Every once and awhile I get a hankering for some fish and chips. Right now, it's pizza I'm lusting for. Hehehe

Leftovers of some potatoes, sautéed onion and red pepper with some bacon and rotisserie chicken covered with shredded cheese. It reminded me of loaded potatoes. And a salad.

Pork tenderloin and sweets tonight.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I could pig out on cheap fishsticks , cole slaw and apple sauce as long as the fish sticks were crispy and the apple sauce cold. Yep, I'm a dipper.

Had to laugh the other week when I 'discovered' why pork tenderloin is called tender loin. Still have 3/4 of the huge one I got reduced for quick sale at Sams (cheaper than chops)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Now I have to google that!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

(formerly) a district in New York City noted for corruption and vice: so called because police there could eat well from their bribes.
a similar district in any U.S. city.

Soba noodles with spicy peanut sauce and chicken! Loving the asian inspiration from the youngest kid.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped and got the makings for stuffed peppers, but during the grocery store errand I got nauseatingly hungry/shaky and couldn't bear the thought of another hour prep and cook before I could eat. Horror of horrors, I went through the McD drive through and got a cheeseburger and a coke. Immediate issue solved. Peppers will be on the docket for tomorrow's dinner.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ooohhhh, I live soba noodles.

Jan, this is the recipe
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-soba-noodles-with-chicken-peanut-sauce
we did four bundles of soba and three chicken breasts, and upped the sauce ingredients by about half.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Sally. Think I'd have to cut back on the red pepper flakes.
It's exciting that he chooses different cuisine and wants to stretch his taste buds.

I found that we Loved ALL the food in Japan except for what I will call 'pond scum soup'. Hehehe. We did try it. Blech!!!
The only time I felt uncomfortable was when we had dinner at my DIL's mentor's house and were served by his wife and his mother. They did NOT join us at the table but kneeled by the side. We did finally get them to join us at the end. I had a hard time sitting on the floor most of the time. Where and how to fold my long legs. I changed position often. It was better on pillows, but still had difficulty.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of us go to Aldi for the prices and sometimes unusual fare but I found a real treat in the cheese section. It was a goat milk cheese with cranberries and cinnamon, labeled Passion for Food. If you bought this at a deli you would pay 2-3 times Aldis price.

Jan I have read about some sort of Japanese breakfast thing that sounds really unappetizing...and yes that sitting on the floor has got to be rough for us who haven't done it our whole lives!

Yum Ric, I had one of their goat cheeses recently, pretty sure that was the one!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--

Does your Aldis have that BIG, round loaf of crispy, white bread?
I LOVE that bread!!! It is like something you would buy in a country store.
Aldis also has the best tasting string cheese. In the green packaging.

I posted a picture of it--will do it again...Here's REAL bread!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah Sally, that cheese is just over the top.
Gita, I don't need to bring bread home for Holly, we both love it but with her being diabetic, she doesn't need the carbs.
I had a strange dish in Mexico, some kind of fermented fish, it might have been an interesting appetizer, tangy and different, but as a meal it quickly lost it's appeal. I can't recall what it was called. It is considered an acquired taste, and very healthful as a low fat meal, so I guess I did well. Their fermented veggies are quite good though, they were called o'mamas, I think.

put FERMENT and FISH together and I will be looking for anything else...lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How about: ferment, fish, fertilizer?LOL

That's the logical order in my mind- so why eat it!?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.