What Ya' Got Cookin' 2014 Part 4 Sweet Summers' End

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe!!!

Don't know about the Japanese breakfast thing. I guess we weren't exposed to that. There was a new Dunkin Donuts not far from their apartment. The 3 kids I took over there for short home stays appreciated a taste of home. Hehehe.

The Japanese culture is VERY big in giving gifts when meeting or visiting, so the grocery store was loaded with pre-wrapped gifts. This was a new grocery store that I was in near their apt and the DDonuts. It was HUGE. Back in '97 a small round watermelon was about $16. You bagged your own groceries like at Aldis.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Heard an interview today with author Mimi Sheridan. Her new book is
"1000 Foods To Eat Before You Die" A Food Lover's Life List

Got me thinking about memorable meals and foods I have had and a few I would like to try.
What's on your list?

Two items on her list are Oreos and peanut butter!

Thumbnail by coleup
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

A flood of memorable meals rushed through my head. Mostly because of the company around the table or campfire or swapped plants or..... To pick one is nigh impossible.

There is a show called The Best Ever.... Well, the best hot dog I ever ate was brought camping by an older couple that had gotten them in Lancaster, PA. Cooked over the campfire on a stick it oozed with the chariness from the fire and the juice. Man, it was good.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Everything simple and basic that can be cooked while camping, tastes better! And starting to think everything from Lancaster PA tastes better too.

Oreos are awesome, I've always wondered what makes them coal black.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I can take Oreos or leave them. Not my fave. Guess that is why I don't particularly care for cookies and cream ice cream. Now, a hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream that is a whole different ball game. YUMMMM!!!!

A friend made a brownie cupcake that had two Oreos with peanut butter between them and more brownie mix on top then baked. She swooned over them. I wasn't there when she served them, but she said they were scrumpdillyishious!!!!!

coffee ice cream and hot fudge. YUMMMMMMMMMMMM I think we need to have some tomorrow. No wait, too cold, let's just sit down with a big glob of hot fudge. NOW YOU'RE TALKING

I got a Porketta last week, we really liked it. It is a pork loin with herb crust, an Italian thing. Weis had them in the heavy 'shrink' wrap packaging, so you can buy way ahead or freeze without rewrapping it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

A must-have dessert for the next swap -- coffee ice cream with hot fudge sauce!! My favorite combo too.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Last Saturday I made my first cheesecake. I am so interested in baking, but have never actually done much of it. I decided to take a stab at it during these long cold winter months. The only problem with baking is to refrain from eating too much of the high calorie/high carbs that usually accompany it LOL. Anyway, I took some over to David and Pat to get their opinion on the recipe and to reduce what was there tempting me to eat. I thought it turned out ok, and they validated that the recipe is probably a keeper.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemony-white-chocolate-cheesecake

I'm thinking of trying to bake a chocolate lava cake this afternoon. It is actually a boxed mix, so shouldn't be too difficult, but with my skills you never know :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That does sound like a winner, Teri!
An old one I haven't made forever is a chocolate mayonnaise cake. It's probably been 40 years since I've made one.
A most memorable meal is hard to place, but it's funny a number of them include a campfire also. I do remember making Holly a crab Alfredo while camping so she would remember more than bugs and mud. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri's recipe was far more than "probably a keeper." It was awesome, totally rich, creamy, satisfying and a super crust as well.

Good luck with your mix. We had found one we really liked for the lava cake, but they discontinued it. The next brand we tried didn't really measure up. Be careful that you don't burn your mouth, though. Cooling it with some ice cream would be proactive.

yes must think proactively.
hahahaha
darn Ric you outcook the rest of the MAF even camping
:0)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was trying to impress Holly that camping (with a tent) can be fun. The first time I took her tent camping to Atlantic City for a cheap get-away when the kids were little, ended in disaster. After a nice evening out and stroll on the boardwalk, we returned to the campground and it started to rain. It rained heavily all night. In the morning we found the tent to be floating. It was still raining hard so I sent Holly to the showers with her dry clothes, collapsed the whole tent, bedding and all, heaved the whole mess in the back of the car and parked by the shower to clean and warm up in my dry things. We jumped in the car and headed home with rather dampened spirits. I spent the rest of the week drying our things and Holly didn't sleep in a tent for 20+ years, till we took, basically a 6 week road trip after I retired, hence the Alfredo. LOL

Oh my!

Mark always said he had enough of camping from the Army. We only went a few times, tent, when the kids were little.

DG longtimer WUVIE has recipes on instructibles.com. She does a nice job.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think someone possibly posted a couple of links to those.
I ask Holly if she wanted to go out to eat or have pot roast, she said pot roast. It was a good thing too. Her mom called and Holly ended up taking her DD to the hospital to be checked out. He was having some trouble breathing and Holly didn't want to wait till Mon. At the least I have a good meal to take to her parents house or when she gets home.

So glad he is OK and your meal works out too.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Praying everything is okay.

YUM, on pot roast, cheesecake, crab Alfredo whilst camping, lava cake, and porketta. I may as well just say YUM to everything except pond scum soup.

I'll have to look up WUVIE. And check out that cheesecake recipe. I've never tried baking one, but NEED to.

Have any of you seen the Kids Baking Championship show with Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli? Those kids are amazing!!!!!

Oh, I misread, RIc, our thoughts are with Holly's dad too and hoping for good news and relief.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

OK....who has a good cream of mushroom soup recipe? I'm in the mood!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thinking of stuffed cabbage tonight. HMmmm

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--
I make stuffed cabbage too--about once every 10 years....:o)
I love these--especially all the cabbage cooked down among the stuffed rolls.
It is so sweet and juicy.

Do you brown your stuffed rolls first in some butter--and then saute them?
It sure adds a nice flavor.

I know we make them differently. You bake yours slathered in Tomato sauce. Right?

We (the Latvians) make the rolls--then brown them in butter on both sides.
Then stack them in layers in a dutch over-type pot. Put the extra cabbage leaves
on the bottom and in between the layers and then pour some of the cabbage water
over them..just to cover and saute them till done.

Then--remove some of the liquid and thicken it with some flour, mix a good amount of
sour cream in there (of course!) and pour it back into the pot, lifting the rolls ever
so gently to get it mixed in. Saute some ore and that is that. Serve with potatoes.

This is from Feb. 2014. last time I made them.

1--browned
2--layered in pot
3--finished--with the gravy mixed in. YUMMMMM...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

YUM!

Took a ground beef mixture from freezer this morning. Sautéed some mushrooms and added the grnd beef mixture. Added a little wine and stock then some cream of mushroom soup. Stirred in some sour cream just before serving over noodles with a salad on the side. And a hot, crusty bread.

So, there are leftovers for a couple of days in the frig.

My favorite cream of mushroom soup recipe is 'drive north to Longwood Gardens, and have lunch there between gardens"

Anticipating a day off tomorrow, planning chicken and dumplings

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Amen, sally!!! That is good. There is another place on the way to Longwood called buckley's tavern. Mom and I stopped there for lunch once and had their mushroom soup. It was the BEST ever. That was many years ago, though. I guess when you are in the heart of mushroom country you better have some good recipes.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My dad had some cream of mushroom soup in the fridge last weekend that I ate for lunch -- fantastic! He said he sauteed onions and mushrooms (lots of mushrooms), then put them to the side while he made a roux in the pan (butter and flour, about the consistency of that white paste that kids don't get to eat any more, cooked a bit so it doesn't taste floury). He stirred in some milk, then transferred it to a pot and added more milk, then put the mushrooms and onions in. I think he topped it off with a little cream, too. And there seemed to be a touch of thyme but very little else... probably some salt. I don't think he followed a recipe.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds similar to what I did. Cept when I sautéed the mushrooms and onions I added a splash of Worcestershire. It boosted the flavor a bit. I finished up the last of it yesterday for breakfast.

yup simple and delicious.

did three pounds of sweet potatos as casserole with dinner last night...we ate it all. Ooh, need to make corn souffle, haven't had that in a long time.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good ideas, sally

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

All I need are some directions, and I will have my route for meals planned out for my perennial trips to Washington DC and Millville NJ.

Can't believe I've been wasting my time hunting for restaurants all these years, when I could be funding all your culinary experimentation AND be your "test kitchen" subject.

For any takers, there's presentations on Viburnums and Hollies sans nauseum...

you bring the wine! goes without saying...

Jan, thinking store roasted chicken with the corn souffle. Cole slaw. Or broccoli salad.

A great summer meal is chicken, corn, coleslaw and cantalope.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ground up some rosemary, cumin, and celery seed , coated a small roaster with EVOO, generously applied the rub and roasted a couple hours. With mashed potatoes, gravy, and snow peas, it made a very hearty dinner.
I've been cooking more so I have leftovers to pack off to Holly's parents house.
Jill, I rarely use a recipe, other than to ensue I don't forget something. I've found having a senior moment while cooking can have a bad result.LOL
I'm thinking baked ham, with buttered and browned potatoes, and a chop salad for dinner. Having leftovers for a nice soup.

YUM
Ric do you use a rack in the roaster pan? I keep meaning to get a rack.

I've ended up right now with two books I've wanted to read and have either put off (1) or had to wait for the copy on hold (2). Gulp by Mary Roach, and Eating on the WIld Side by Jo Robinson. Gulp is so funny, and Eating... is very focused on maximum nutrition; it's kind of amusing to have them at the same time.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Na', don't have a rack for the glass Corning ware I use. Never thought about it.
Sounds like interesting reading though. Gulp + funny made me think of Garp.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

VV, you are welcome here anytime. I live at the base of the Delaware Memorial Bridge right when you get to Joisey. You have to pass throuh on your way to Millville(the Holly City). Just let me know.

It's fun to experiment MOst of the time. There have been a few bad moves along the way.

Tonight is covered dish dinner at church. Made a rice blend with craisins added. I signed up for a side dish. When I went to babysit I found out my DIL also made a rice blend with beans.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly can't make up my mind. LOL It's either a deep dish chicken potpie, white clam pasta with salad, of sweet n' sour pork stir-fry over rice. Her indecision may starve us both.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hmmm..... My vote! Make all three. Send the ones not chosen to NJ. Deal??? She said hopefully.

In the meantime I made tortellini in a sauce with sautéed onion, zucchini, and finely sliced cabbage and ground turkey. Will serve atop some baby spinach.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like sweet n'sour pork stir-fry tonight. I just completed carving up a fresh pineapple so some can go to the in laws. Since I have to out I may just snag a piece of fresh ginger for my stir-fry. May be I'll bake some cookies while making supper.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Boneless country ribs in pot, slow-cooked in oven over onions with bBQ sauce. Rice blend with craisins. Spinach salad

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds very Yummy Jan.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Got the pork at Aldi's yesterday. Along with the ground turkey used yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.