What is this growing with my Clematis tangutica?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Living in zone 4b, most clematis types don't make it. The Clematis tangutica does, and is not invasive. A few years ago, we tried a few others. I thought they all died, but this purple one is growing, mixed with the tangutica. What is it?

Thumbnail by DeidreG
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Deidre - please post a photo of the face of the bloom. When did it start to bloom? May-June or more recently?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

It started blooming in late July. Here is another shot. Can't tell which leaves go with what since this is blooming several feet up.

Thumbnail by DeidreG

Thanks. That's a huge help.

My best guess is that it's Jackmanii. Do you recall ever buying one by that name? It does grow very tall so it seems even more likely that it's Jackmanii. That is a class/group 3 and should be pruned, very hard (down to a few inches, still showing a few leaf buds - photo attached) in early March in your area.

Here's a not so good photo of one of our Jackmanii.

Your Tangutica should go very well with Jackmanii and they are both in the same pruning class so that won't be an issue.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Thanks a bunch!

I'm just starting to learn about the things we've planted. So, really? Pruned to the ground, practically? It is taller than my house and never been pruned. We usually still have a lot of snow and ice in March. Things don't have leaves till May most years. I'm in Anchorage.

Jackmanii does ring a faint bell.

But pruning these sounds very scary.

It doesn't have to be scary. I often do mine in December but you may have snow then as well.

As early as you can work outside in spring would be the time to cut them back hard - yes, almost to the earth...maybe 12" high.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.