My Garden in September

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Please post your garden pictures from September. I am trying to get more ideas for my shade gardens. I have mostly shade in my yard. Here are some pictures I took today.

Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

More from the side yard.

Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Under the trees

Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati Thumbnail by MsMaati
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Lovely!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you.

Virginia Beach, VA

Gorgeous!!!

Belle

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Belle

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice!! I love the wall in the front!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Indiana - I especially enjoyed the lovely hardscape of tiered pavers. Looks like you have done some great plantings in the shady areas. Beautiful.

Flowers here in September. Have not had much time to take pictures this month, but have lots of gardens to share pictures of. Critiques always welcome.

Pix #1 & 2 sun lovers..........
The #3 pix is in the shade most all day.
The #4 pix is balsam and it seems to like sun or shade - not paticular (self seeds - heirloom).

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What's that plant in the lower left center of the third pic?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

PA - The flower in the lower left center of the third pix is a euphorbia - was a gift. Have not had it long enough to give much more of a comment.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That makes sense. I liked the leaves.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are beautiful Brenda. Sorry I have not been on for a while.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks MsMaati - I love sharing my gardens, and this is a great way to do it. More pix's I took in September of some of my gardens. # 4 photo is in a shady area. The other 4 are definitely sun gardens.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Wow, Brenda! First time I've seen the long view. Georgeous!!!

What is the bright pink plant in Pic 1? It looks like a Salvia, but unusually tall.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Pam - Hi! Thanks.......... The bright pink plant in Pic 1 is celosia (volunteer) - about 4 ft tall. I think it is the way the light is shining on it that gives it a little lighter pink. The lightest of frost will take me out in the flower department as my most showiest are annuals and given in to the temp being 40 this morn, lets me know a frosting will be around the corner.

Aha! I wondered if that might be it, but hadn't seen it quite that way in other pics. It looks great there, too!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I have been gathering celosia seed.

Great!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Brenda. What are the variegated plants in the foreground of photo 4? Love your sunny flowers. No place for sunny flowers in my yard.

Posting some of the diehards from this week. No frost yet. The toadlilies are blooming and one of my hydrangea that was so terribly damaged by last winter is finally blooming.

Great pics, MsMaati. I've just looked back over this thread... What is the small shrub (?) in pic 5 of your 2nd post- the one with the cute kittie peeking out? It looks like pink flower buds are about to bloom.

Here are a few of my latest...

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from MsMaati :
Beautiful Brenda. What are the variegated plants in the foreground of photo 4? Love your sunny flowers. No place for sunny flowers in my yard.

Posting some of the diehards from this week. No frost yet. The toadlilies are blooming and one of my hydrangea that was so terribly damaged by last winter is finally blooming.

You asked about the the varigated plant in the foreground of photo 4. The varigated gray/white leaf if a type of euphorbia (that is the best I can tell you on it). I have had it a couple years. It is planted on the west side of the house in pretty well all shade.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Ms Maati in Ind., you have a beautiful landscape. I especially liked your center photo posted October 26th. Toad lillies are happy, too! I have not had good luck with the one toad lily I planted several years ago. Also, your red begonia - is it a dragon wing? or an angel wing? Reason I asked is that this year I chose to plant dragon wings in some local city planters and they did great in the bearing down heat. The are still looking like this, when the city keeps them watered.

Also, it is my understanding that the small begonia that have the green leaves are shade tolerant and the ones with the red leaves are sun tolerant. I found that to be very interesting.

I always enjoy seeing everyone's picture posts. I gain great insite from those photo's. Thanks Pam.

Thumbnail by brendak654
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

The plant behind the kitty is not a shrub. That is a Chelone aka Turtle Head. It dies back in winter and blooms in late to September until frost. Looked today and had a couple of blooms. Will be gone by Sunday, we are expecting a hard freeze sniff.

Thumbnail by MsMaati

It's sooo pretty! I didn't realize Chelone could grow in so much shade. Also, doesn't it need a lot of water? I've been afraid to try it because of that.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah my Chelone gets 100% shade all day and blooms wonderfully. It's weird how it comes out of dormancy though. I noticed this spring that the new sprouts come from every direction out of the soil and then they turn and go straight up. Weird.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Maybe I need to move my Chelone to a shady spot. I have had it at least two years, and it has done VERY little. It just exists at the edge of a pond and it gets half a day sun. Perhaps it is a very slow grower? What do you think - judging from the pix you posted, MsMaati - should I move it to a moist shady area? I think yours may have darker foliage than mine which is a plus.

How about you Sequoiadendron4? Should I move it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Has yours not even bloomed? Or are you saying it just hasn't spread at all? Here's a pic of mine this past September. You might consider moving it to a shadier location. Like I said, mine gets no sun at all and I'm happy with it's performance. It's definitely bigger than in '13 as I planted it out of a 1 gallon pot and as you can see it's way bigger than that now.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

The Turtle Head has kicked out a bloom or two, but the foliage is nothing like what you gals have. Looks like a move to a shady spot is in order for mine.

I may finally have a good spot for it, in a new shady section that is naturally more moist. Lots of possibilities opening up...

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine loves it in the shade here. Do not have to water it at all unless we have 3 or more weeks of no rain. Being a native it grows well without much fuss.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images