Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

The Australian Garden-Spring.

Sydney, Australia

Here we are, it's Spring, so what is happening in your Australian Garden ?

I am busy germinating quite a few interesting seeds ...I think the Frost danger is almost gone.
Anyone heard of Madagascar Beans ? ever grown any ? They are a Perennial Bean, wish me luck ,they sound too good to be true. ^_^

Can't wait for the weather to clear up.

So what is everyone up to ?

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1370617/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEfpX4Y5oc

What interesting projects, plants bulbs etc are you all growing this coming Season .

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Christchurch, New Zealand

I started some lilies from seed last year, those germinated & grew so well I ended up potting them up into a big pot on the terrace.
They spent the winter there & now I see tiny leaves emerging, two are looking good & the third yu can barely see emerging.
No sign of number four but I am thrilled to bits to have any survive.

I have planted 6 more of the seeds & have them on a sunny windowsill next to my tomato seedlings.
No sign of germination yet but I seem to recall almost giving up on the last lot before they sprouted.

West of Brisbane, Australia

We're having an unusually cool start to spring, with cold winds that traditionally occur mainly in August. (Not that I'm complaining--the sun is hot enough to burn if you stay out in it for a while.) Had to prune some brugs after the winds caused some damage. I put the prunings in Seasol thinking that I might sell them on ebay but we'll see if I have time when they start to shoot.
Meanwhile, I got a surprise to see this blooming in a dry shaded patch. I'd forgotten and had to check my notes but yes indeed it is knightii, from a similarly pruned branch that I shoved in the ground and then pretty much forgot. This first bloom has been damaged by the weather but considering the neglect it's survived it's amazing it's still alive.
Pretty much not planting anything new now except the odd abutilon. Just waiting for those I have planted out to flower and keeping the existing ones going is enough for me.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

Good luck with your lily seeds Teresa, I used to grow the tall white ones many years ago but the jungle shaded them out I think. Might try again one day ...I do love the huge fragrant ones as well as the Tiger Lily which I grew quite a few of in the 70's in a beachside garden down the South Coast.

cestrum, that's so nice you found your Knightii, no one should be without it.
You should sell your plants ...everyone is flogging them on FB these days as well as Ebay.

I think I am the only one who is just doing it as a hobby these days ... it's really good to see it all happening.

For myself ...I miss growing things I used to love before my mad obsession, so I will be exploring other things as well, this coming 2015.

The weather is still a bit disgusting out there ...the %^&*()$% wind. The upside is lots of wetness after the dry.

Happy Springtime

chrissy

Yeah, I've pulled right back on the brugs. Lost so many that year (over 99% of seedlings) because I just had too many to look after. Less is definitely more for me.
We'll see about ebay. I figure if I have to go to the trouble of wrapping them for postage I might as well make a little money from them, but just the thought of all that work wearies me so they might end up as mulch anyway.
I've got a few of these Chinese lantern shaped abutilons--note the difference in the cap colours (yellow in one and purple in the other) plus slight differences in the skirts too. I'm hoping that the seeds from A. megapotamicum might produce more seedlings with this shape but in different colours.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2014 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Magnetic island, Australia

Yes obsessions are great if you don't allow them to rule your life ( says Mya who has close to 1000 seedling Desert Roses ) The plus with Desert Roses is once you have them established after the seedling stage, is that they require little looking after, not like Brugs here in the tropics with the wallabies / possums , caterpillars / mites.

My Strophanthus gratus has flowered and has a strong rose smell, stuck my nose in there and was nearly knocked back with the strong perfume, wasn't expecting that. Didn't flower as pink as it should be, it's still only early spring so will colour up more later.

My Shell ginger also in flower.

Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya
Sydney, Australia

Gorgeous pictures Mya ...I am madly in love with my Shell Ginger too.
Unfamiliar with the other one ...it sounds yummy.

I found what you are looking for but it's coming in as cut flowers ...not sure you can purchase them yet, Anthony might have connections ...just scroll down.
The Japanese cut flower Industry is going to introduce them. Good luck in your search, I know if anyone can find them, Mya can.

http://www.mayesh.com/Blog/tabid/67/EntryId/370/Coming-This-Spring-Japanese-Fresh-Cut-Flowers.aspx

cestrum, I am looking forward to seeing the lanterns here too yours are so different, lots of variety.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 5, 2014 7:40 AM

Thanks Chrissy, Unfortunately I have been unable to come up with any seeds....you win some and you lose some.....what a shame ,she sure is a beauty and the white would be spectacular in wedding bouquets. I

Anther cold morning (about 3 degrees) and late start to spring. Ironic given that we had a 28 degree day in winter.
I love the variety of my abutilon seedlings. Here's another one with the same colouring but a different shape. I suspect they share one parent, which I've called Nodding Yellow. (It just germinated in my garden; no idea where it came from, but it's proved a very fine parent apart from being a lovely abutilon in its own right.)
Pink Smitty x Dorthea (aka Hot Lips) is also flowering and it really does have a strong fragrance with overtones of baby powder. It's growing in such a hot dry exposed spot, imagine how well it would flower if it were growing in more favourable conditions.
The Strophanthus is lovely Mya, and obviously perfectly suited to your climate. Also a good chance to get some rose fragrance in a place where roses (I mean the traditional thorny deciduous shrubs) are hard to grow.
The ease with which you can grow and flower desert roses (I mean the adeniums, of course, not the deciduous shrubs) is just amazing--I'm sure there are people drooling over their keyboards and fantasising about moving to the tropics :-)

This message was edited Sep 5, 2014 8:09 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I threw out all the old abutilon (pre-2014) seeds. Amazing how many there were. You know how people wish they'd win the lottery so they could go overseas, buy the big house, new car, etc? Not me. (Well, an overseas trip would be rather nice ...) I'd just buy some land and start sowing and growing!
I'd spend all day working outside :-)
Mya, you have another climber that has a rose scent. Red flower, I think. Can't remember its name but I do remember rushing back to Bunnings to buy it after you said it was scented! Hasn't flowered yet, just wound its way around a tree trunk. I'm sure it would prefer growing in your climate.
Obsessive? Who, us ...??!!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's an uninspired pink seedling, flowering for the first time. Rather ungainly, not strongly scented so far as I can tell. It's a Jacayna seedling I think but I can't be bothered digging the label out from around the base. It does have the remnant of an inner skirt so perhaps it will turn into something more lovely in future.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here's a sweet little hibiscus, a maple-leafed one I think. Growing without virtually any help on my part.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's one of what I call purple shrimp plant (it's actually a Porphyrocoma). It's in flower, obviously, but what's amazing is that it's self-germinated in this dry (but fairly shaded) spot. Truly a tough little plant.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

Gotta love the darlings that fend for themselves ...my triffids laugh at me ^_^ I swear some of the climbers would strangle me if I stood still for a couple of hours in Summer, I can almost hear the vines giggling.

Obsessive ? yes true, but it's a lovely kind of obsession ...a little more work than collecting teaspoons or teapots lol, it just takes up a lot more room. Money can't buy the thrill of a plant flowering for the first time from seed can it ?

That Brug may evolve into a beauty cestrum ...some pre doubles do that.
Seeds soaking everywhere, plants/seedlings waiting to go outside etc.

Happy Friday everyone ...busy weekend ahead.

chrissy

Cestrum you're talking about my Saritaea magnifica known also as Glowvine or Purple Bignonia is starting to flower. From past years this will flower now till May.

This the wallabies do not touch, so must be highly toxic. This is probably the most difficult plant I have to take cuttings from, have decided to peg straight into the sand and see if I can get new plants this way.

I'm giving up after this lot of seed raising, way too many to pot up ,it's costing me a fortune in 140mm pots, what ever was I thinking, this is beyond a hobby, it's an addiction.

Thumbnail by MyaMya

OK don't know why my picture didn't load up but I'll give it another go...maybe Anthony's jinxed me....goodluck Anthony in the competetion.

My Saritaea. I've never seen it for sale again in Bunnings.

Thumbnail by MyaMya

That's it ... Checked my records. Bought in Sept 2009, so five (FIVE) years and no flowers!
You see why I've given up on the tender tropicals :-(
But look here: I found a photo of it on a website dedicated to Magnetic Island plants: http://www.somemagneticislandplants.com.au/index.php/plants/11-plants/300-saritaea-magnifica
At the risk of sounding like a country hick, I don't suppose you know the bloke? (Perhaps he's well known on the island?)

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the brugmansia he's identified as an arborea isn't:
http://www.somemagneticislandplants.com.au/index.php/plants/11-plants/929-brugmansia-arborea
I was wondering how the arborea could grow in the tropics when I can't grow it here ...

Sydney, Australia

It's interesting to see such mistakes are still being made with Brugs isn't it ?

Definitely not a Datura, but perhaps the confusion still exists because they were once all called Datura a long long time ago.

I see your Saritaea all over FB Mya, must be very popular in the warmer places. I thought it was something else.

Collections are addictive, but like I said ...better than collecting some other things like candles (I threw my dust collectors out). Books and plants sigh ^_^ oh well. It's sprinkling still out there ...nice Spring rain. I am looking to trade or buy a Cranberry Hibiscus plant ...I was blessed with a cutting or two last Late Autumn but I think it was too cold, I lost it.
Does anyone have it? or seeds of it (if there is such a thing).

chrissy

Can you believe that I know Donald , I discover a plant and send him along to photograph it....he's a hive of information. I cannot believe this plant sets seeds but Donald has taken a picture of it so it must be so, I'm off to ask him where he took the pictures, would love to propagate from seeds as I have been unable to propagate from cuttings. He loves to answer emails so any questions you have for him he'll answer.

Well Cestrum your Saritaea will flower eventually, obviously a late bloomer.

Chrissy I don't collect Hibiscus because the wallabies especially like them, as do a lot of other bugs but I'm sure if you were to put this on FB especially in the tropical gardening site someone would have one to share.

My double yellow Desert Rose is starting to flower again, I have another double pink starting to open as well but I think I may miss the opportunity to cross pollinate but summer is on the way so I'll get more opportunities

Thumbnail by MyaMya

sorry clicked the wrong picture this is my yellow nearly fully opened, just noticed quite a few with buds forming, one on my purple and one on a pure single yellow.....I did have a mite problem but used neem oil (revolting smelling stuff) which seems to have alleviated the webs so here's hoping I killed them all.

Thumbnail by MyaMya
Sydney, Australia

It's lovely Mya.

Not to worry I purchased the Hibiscus ...it will be coming in October.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads and Father figures out there ^_^

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

OMG ...I had forgotten how exhausting re potting and moving heavy stuff around is. feeling my age a bit this arvo after three solid hours of it (while hubby was busy), but the Spring Excitement is definitely in the air.

I hope everyone is having a beaut day ...I am off to spoil hubby now, them perhaps a nanna nap.

chrissy

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi all, I am Diane, my obsession this spring has been growing adeniums from seed and so far I've had good results with germination apart from the yellow seeds (all purchased on eBay). My first lot of around 40 plants now have their second leaves and some are starting to produce a third set. I imagine I will need to start pricking them out into individual pots sometime soon. Can anyone tell me what I should be feeding them with? This all started from one plant I bought from a nursery with no label and potted up using a regular potting mix because I didn't know any better but it has survived and thrived probably in spite of me rather than because of me. Having finally figured out what plant I had I have recently repotted it in a very free draining mix and moved it to a sunnier position. It will be interesting to see what it thinks of this new and more suitable treatment.
I have also planted some heliconias and gingers and cannas this spring and am excited to see how they will cope with my climate and clay soil.
It was great to discover Dave's Garden and even better when I found the Australian and New Zealand Gardening forum as I am originally from Christchurch, New Zealand now living in Brisbane.

Hi Diane....ohhh another kindred spirit, I have just gone overboard propagating Adeniums from seeds but once you start you can't stop, I'm now on about, I have truely lost count. I have great contacts from genuine growers in Tawain, Vietnam and Thailand. I used to buy from ebay many years ago and honestly ever got the pink cultivators, now I should get the amazing doubles and triples that are floating around the world.

Desert roses love full sun, as much as you can throw at them, they love free draining soil ,I use Searles Cacti and succulent mix or used to before I went mad with seeds. I now use straight river sand from our creek and mix peat and fertilizer through it ,usually the Searles Boug and Hibiscus fertilizer. Contrary to their name Desert, I water every day here in the tropics and they thrive, you can't over water if they are in free draining mix. If you read the previous thread before this you'll be able to see some of the posts I've contributed or go to my name click on it and you'll be able to find all the posts I've written, probably most are about D-Roses.

Sorry to my other Dave posters on here they've seen my pics countless times.

Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya

Also Diane if you're on FB just look at the pic lots of Adenium groups to learn from

Thumbnail by MyaMya

Hi Diane -
living in Brisbane you'll be able to grow some nice tropical plants.
I lived there four years then moved back to NZ settling in Christchurch :)

How long have you been away from ChCh?
Population dropped quite a bit after the earthquakes, there were times I would have loved to pack up & go to Aussie.
Couldn't sell our house as we were still fighting the insurance company over really minor repairs.
Now the quakes have dwindled it's not so bad.

It is interesting to compare what will grow where - and it seems to be a common theme that we all dream about growing things that don't thrive in our local climate.

Cheers - Teresa

Sydney, Australia

Hi Diane ...I can see you and Mya will be teasing us with your tropical beauties soon.
Yet another gardener from NZ (I know you have lovely gardens over there) Teresa will be very happy to see you here too.

I have just been outside and the Sun is lovely but the ground is soggy.
Lots of buds on lots of plants ... ^_^ No more Frost I don't think.

The plants presented to the big cruel World yesterday haven't blinked, in fact they look quite thrilled. Whew ! ripening seed pods everywhere, stems starting to turn yellow.
Remember how excited we were to find our first seed pods on the Brugs LOL ...now it's ummm,
to keep or not to keep ...that is the question. I will donate a bunch of them I think rather than throw them away, so many new gardeners will take them, if only to learn on.

Enjoy your Monday everyone ! (back to the drier areas of the garden.) pic is of my special bean.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Hi MyaMya your adeniums are beautiful, I can see myself looking further afield for some different seeds before too long. Finding FB adenium groups is a great idea so many thanks. I have been away from Christchurch since the late 1990's and still miss the distinctive four seasons but not the winters dalfyre. I am glad I was not living there for the earthquakes, my house was in Avonside and would have been red zoned anyway. I have two sisters still living there and visit them whenever I can and in the height of summer especially. I have been looking into the bulbs I can grow here and have bought a couple of Eucharis grandiflora (Amazon lily), Sprekelia formossima (Jacobean lily), Belladona and some Polianthes Tuberosa. I have planted them all in pots at this stage so I can keep them dry if they have a dormancy until I become more familiar with them. Not the same as the daffodils and tulips and blossom trees of Christchurch but I follow the seasons in Christchurch though a FB site called Christchurch Daily Photos and I am sure I will love my warm climate bulbs too. It has been warm this week in Brisbane with temperatures in the high 20's and my jasmine polyanthus is in full flower and filling the air with its perfume, spring is certainly here. Chrissy don't throw your Brug seeds away as many of us would love to have them, I think I might have to try a Brug in my garden next. Thank you all for your responses, it has been great reading them and seeing what you are all up to.

Lilies coming up.
I played around with pollen last year & saved the seed.
I sowed four seeds & they all came up then I finally put them into the big pot just before winter.
I did wonder if they would survive so am thrilled to see 3 sprouts.
Not sure how long it will be before they flower, might need another year.

photos 2 & 3 are the pod parent
4) is the pollen parent.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre

Great that the lilies have come up, it will be exciting to see what you get when they do flower. Anyone know how long lilies take to flower when grown from seed? I spent today tidying up the prunings I had made a few days ago, I have inherited mock orange bushes which I dislike as I have to be very vigilant to get rid of all the seedlings that sprout from the berries. I would happily take a chainsaw too them if I had one. Their wood is very tough to cut and at the very least they need to be thinned drastically. I'd prefer to grow natives in their place, might have to give this some serious thought. I have just read that Murraya paniculata "exotica" is an environmental weed in NSW and QLD so their fate is sealed if they are exotica and not the native version.

My Asiatic lilies were a gift from a regular when I worked at the RSA & flowered in their second year. They were seedlings and a year old when I got them so pretty much at the same stage as mine now.

The trumpet lilies were a gift from a different regular - those were bulbs so flowered straight away.

Always wonderful to see the first bloom on a plant, especially so when it's one you've grown from seed.
My white orchid tree is flowering, has a delicate fragrance, a medium grower so it's not a nuisance like the purple-flowered one which grows HUGE. Mind you, I've seen a dwarf which orchid tree planted right by the front steps of a house. It's perhaps 1.5m high, a shrub really, but very pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

That's pretty cestrum ...they are a mixed lot in Penrith. All trees though. Perhaps a restricted root system may dwarf them.

I just adore this lovely thing you sent me ...the fragrance fills the place, it's lovely,though it keeps me busy hacking it back. Don't forget to post a link to your Brug sales ...I think a few people would be very interested, me for one.

I think I may have to try lilies again. I have forgotten how beautiful they are ladies.

My seed pods are ripening, they survived Winter :)

First Spring Brugs appearing midst new leaves and tattered old Winter ones ... Pink Champagne and Dwarf Pink'n'Green are ripening in pod unison, so I think they have been flirting. Sing out any newbies who want some seeds. We can swap seeds or something.

I hope everyone is enjoying their day ...it's 24C, sunny and beautiful, any hotter and I don't like it much.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100

Pretty flowers Chrissy.

After a hard afternoon weeding some of my gardens are looking good.
The other's will have to wait as I am shattered now.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre I seem to remember I had a lot more trouble with weeds in my Christchurch gardens than I do here. I suspect many of the weeds prefered the temperate climate and regular rainfall. You may feel shattered after all your work but I bet you feel a good type of tired and a sense of achievement too. It was lovely to see your bluebells and daffs, so pretty so thank you for the photos. I am keeping busy trying to grow all sorts of things from seed with varying degrees of success and had some warrigal greens and ceylon spinach ready to plant into my vegetable garden today. The garden is 2.5 metres long by 1.5 metres wide and almost a metre high. This raised bed was built as a gift for me by my children on my 60th birthday and provides me with fresh greens and various vegetables for most of the year. I tend to grow my tomatoes in pots still and am now also doing zucchinis and cucumbers that way as they need to be sprayed often in our humid climate (Neem oil and soap seems to do the trick).

Funny that you actually know the man, Mya. Also he's given away the location of quite a prized plant. I'm guessing no one else knows what it is, being a nondescript little shrub... until it flowers.
Glad you're enjoying the buddleia, Chrissy. The brug prunings have got stubbies now but they're all from two plants that I had to cut back. You have one and the other is a single pink that, while pretty, is similar to what you already have. Still not sure if I'll go on to the next stage and pot them up, see how I feel.
Here's an abutilon seedling flowering for the first time and it seems pretty much identical to an early seedling I posted photos of. It seems that lovely striking orange pattern comes thru strongly.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Side view.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

This is the mother plant.
It's the one I call orange megapotamicum. (You and Mya have seeds of this one, although not this cross because this was from 2013 seed and yours are all from this year.)

This message was edited Sep 15, 2014 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

This makes it clearer why I've dubbed the mother plant 'orange megapotamicum'.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.