Will we have an early winter?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd rather keep something established alive than try and start stuff. LOL

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, it seems sensible but apparently some people don't believe in it.

I remember that people on the rose forum would ask how to preserve roses over winter. They were often in pots because they were a little tender for the person's zone. I had four roses and a hydrangea shishiva (zone 6) in pots and I had figured out how to overwinter them in the back of my unheated garage. It's easy, really. You cover them with quilts and give them a bit of water once a month.

You would be amazed at the nasty remarks I got (from people who left the rose forum on Dave's, thank goodness) about how they believed in what they referred to as "tough love". They would buy lots of little roses every year and basically not care for them and allow them to die. I was chided for giving people the information they asked for, which allowed me (and them), to have bigger and bigger roses every year.

I don't get it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like trying to start stuff to see if I can meet a plants Criteria ,,

As for advice taken or given , I try not taking personal .. Although it does seem to get that way ..
I do not care to use a larger budget for the plants , even though I could ..

it is not an easy always in all these categories ..

Goji seedlings ,, second try ...
Only a few during winter . I miss this outdoors this time of year

Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Donna - I hear you about tips and advice. Some forums are not open to new or sustainable concepts so I try not to offer much. The information doesn't originate with me but comes from current podcasts by experts.
Dad's poinsettias bordered on shrub-size and sadly were trashed this past week. Dad passed a month ago tomorrow and it would have been cool to have one.
I have a hydrangea of German origin - forget the name at the moment - whose hardiness is questionable. It was a gift from DD and resides in a big pot. I bring it in every fall although it does have the luxury of residing in the heated GH.
Luckily (I guess) the cold frame light hasn't needed to come on yet but I'm watching to see how that 75 watt light bulb does. I do have a couple of big rocks in the cold frame, hoping to capture solar gain on sunny days when I remove the insulation from the lid. Have two big pots of chard and kale growing in there for as long as they last.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, I am very sorry to hear about your father. He sounds like he was a very special person and you must miss him. I lost both my parents within four years of each other and I know that it makes the holidays harder.

I tend to treat my plants like the living things they are. I do get carried away, I think, just like I shamelessly spoil the two rescue cats the previous owners couldn't take with them to New Zealand. They return my attention by following me around like dogs and enjoying nestling around my neck, which I just love.

I guess it just bothered me because people asked for guidance, and I simply provided it.But you are right Juhur. I shouldn't let it bother me.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving, everyone!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

DonnaMack , I have a cat that follows me around like a dog also , and he speaks for treats if you ask him ,, Neighbors ask me if I have a small dog when it follows me around the yard ,, lol
Made me smile cheerfully when I read your comment about that ..

Cindy from me also , very sorry about your Father , all one can do is try to remember the best of times and thoughts we had with them when a parent crosses over ..
My Father has been gone for decades , However Mom's still here , Her family mostly into their 90's
My dads sister passed in 2001 auntie was 104 .. I should wish to those #'s .. ???
Giving thanks for the better memories may help .. Hope they do for you

Best of hopes to you ,,

and from me also. Have a Happy Thanksgiving All.

Hobart, IN

Thanks for condolences. He was my gardening mentor to some degree.
OK - sounds like you two are lucky cat owners. I'm not much of a pet person and I think animals can sense that. I did have a cat once, a Siamese that lived to 17. She didn't like me so much but liked my son better. Also had a cockatiel who did nothing but screech at me. DIL got that one.
Hope everyone has a peaceful Thanksgiving!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.