assist needed with proper name

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Catalpa tree worm. I know the little one has a parasite. I found a larger one also eyeballing me. 2nd pic is edited can you advise if the pic blurs? And I won't edit them anymore if it is.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Kat, looks like Ceratomia catalpae - Catalpa Sphinx caterpillar and the 2nd pic looks fine as enlarged.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you! I was hopin that would work and Someone knew if actually was THAT caterpillar!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sphinx moths are cool! Is your tree under heavy attack, such that you need to take action against the caterpillars? Catalpa trees are pretty tough; they can even handle losing all their leaves, unless that happens for several years in a row. Neat photo of the parasitized one... having those wasps around probably means the caterpillar population won't get too extreme. :-)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I took those pics in Burlington, NJ while delivering that day. Granpa sphinx I focused on as a surprise. Have always known this tree had those caterpillars, but never had seen one. I was extremely tickled as I thought it was too late in season for em! That tree will be fine and the moths will be allowed to keep growing as no one else in NJ cares abt any surface that isnt concrete, chuckl. Thanx everyone.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I can remember going fishing with a step-dad in central Louisiana using the Catalpa cats. He would gather them as he found them the week before and put them in a jar in the freezer. The day we were to go he would have all the gear loaded and grab the jar just before we left. By the time we got set to fish they were crawling again! LOL!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratomia_catalpae

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.