4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 3

Newark, DE

We came from here -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1326635/

Just had to start a third thread because we were having so much fun that our posts were too many...again! LOL If you are new - please join us. Everyone here is wonderful. We areall dealing with clutter (and life in general) issues, but trying to seek the humor in all things too. I started the original thread, part 2 and this one. I am not one who feels we "must stay on topic". To me, we are a great bunch of women, working through a lot of different issues but always supporting one another, so don't be afraid to post whatever is on your heart because we are all supportive of one another.

Enjoy!

Debbie

Newark, DE

A link to here is now posted at the botton of the part 2 thread

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Looking glass paint - I nevr heard of that. I need to check thst out!

Newark, DE

If you want a nice large mirror and don't want to pay the high prices??? Pick up a large framed whatever at Goodwill, spray the back side of the glass, refinsh frame as you wish and ta-da!
BIG mirror for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K09033000-Looking-Aerosol-6-Ounce/dp/B003971BAY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is their regular line. The one made to "fuse" with plastic, PVC that is made by Krylon is called Krylon Fusion. Rustoleum makes one for Plastic too not sure if it has a special name or just Rustoleum Plastic. If you can find the Looking Glass in the Fusion line that would be best. If not, you can still use the regular. As always, lightly sand,and paint. I'd go at least 2 coats, maybe 3. Then coat with a clear sealer to prevent the curtains that open/close from wearing it off. If you don't close the drapes, you don't have to do that. Enjoy!

BUT be warned - you'll find so many things to use it on....I have even seen pumpkins sprayed with it for a table centerpiece....gorgeous! Just Google Looking glass paint and then check the images.

Newark, DE

Here you go - check out the stuff on Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/lilymacnow/krylon-looking-glass-spray-paint/

Newark, DE

And this one show you how to turn it into Mercury Glass

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=look%20glass%20paint

Thanks. You are like our very own research assistant!

Newark, DE

Hahaha - Thanks. I am here to serve.... ^_^

Ugh..I have a few boxes of papers that need to be filed. Big Boxes
I had so much stuff piled in the room where the file cabinet is that I gathered a mountain of filing...that cabinet was out of reach.

all that paperwork Medicare sends to say how much health care $$ were spent by us ....why is all that paper wasted?? Ditto with medication costs....do you save those papers??

We built multiple frames to set over the stream and pond...plastic screening stapled to the insides...to keep out leaves.

Now, instead of staking rolled screening or bird netting down to keep leaves out ( and tossing it eventually because leaves and twigs get stuck in it ) we can just lift these frame and store. It was a real pain the old way...stakes bent, rusted, crawling over the roxks...snakes and bugs and mosquitoes...

I hope this works

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those frames look really good.
House is still in transition. Now the living area is filled with the new heating system, back room is torn apart so that some pipes could be moved and electrical work for the new system run. The laundry room is torn apart because the washer and dryer need moved out so that the dryer vent can be moved, so it isn't blowing on the outside unit.
I cleaned out part of the upstairs bedroom that has become a dumping ground so that Josh can work in there putting in the upstairs unit. I am sending books to the library for their book sale. I have 2 bags of them in the car to be dropped off. Those came off the bookshelf in the bedroom. I am dumping about 80 to 90% of our books. After I finish with the books I am doing a major clothes clean up.

I thought you were 5 seonds from being done Holly. Were the pipes / electric a surprise that came with the new heating system? Do you think you will be done by the holidays?

We ( a surprise ) needed a new heating system too ( dual heat and air ) big expense...but glad did it even if not planned. Bills lower.

We are just spiffing up spare bath since we used it during the reno. It has painted ( white) wood floor. Fine in a rarely used shower but it got used a lot!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No they weren't really a surprise, I knew that the new heating system would be a big project. The house was looking really good for a few weeks. Hoping it will be finished in the next 2 weeks.

Great. It does rattle the brain..the mess.... But the flip side is that it is a bit of a break from the routines...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Those screens are a wonderful solution!!!!!

I can vouch that Holly's place looks TTTTeeerific!!!

Jan - screens working so far. A lot of time spent building this year but next year will be appreciated for sure.

I have seen Holly's yard / garden and so I know her renovation is going to be great!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well the renovations helped with the clutter, as I have been slowly (and I mean slowly) going thru things as I put them back and deciding what to keep and what to dispose of. In making a spot for Josh to work in the upstairs room I had to move a small entertainment center that is used for storage now. I realized that the whole thing is filled with old books that we haven't touched since they were put in there several years ago. I did drop off the 2 bags of books from the bedroom bookcase and the Library was very pleased with them.
Thanks Jan

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I find it VERY hard to decide what to downsize. Almost everything, especially from my folks, has meaning or has been passed down. So, how can I get rid of it? Need to pass on to my kids or nieces/nephews. I will say I have sold some things, but they probably could have opened a shop and when they moved in with us, most of it came with them.

I need to ask a niece if she would sell stuff on eBay for me.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Check out Craigslist, too. Also on Facebook there are area online yard sales. I have been following one in my local area but haven't tried to buy or sell anything yet. There are a few rules, something like the first person to post that they are interested gets first dibs, then if they don't want them for some reason you move onto the next person that posted. You can meet them with your merchandise at a public local spot if you don't want to have them come to the house or just to make it easier. Jan do a Facebook search for Salem Cnty, NJ Online Yard Sale and see what you get.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I am already a member of our local one. My problem is I'm fearful. Would rather someone else do it. Hehehehe. I guess I just need to jump in with both feet.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Me, too. I have these metal steak trays with wooden chargers, going to clean them up and see if they are worth trying to sell. You know the kind they bring the sizzling steaks out on.

Newark, DE

Hi girls!

Sorry to be MIA - again. The latest debacle? About a week ago we had a thunderstorm pass through. At about 6:30AM lightening hit one of the power poles, either out front or the next one down the street. The house shook and it was extremely bright, but also had a weird yellow/orange glow. We lost power and when I checked outside to see what was hit, I saw the pole about 2 houses down on fire and dripping blue. Transformers are filled with a mineral oil, which I assumed that to be. I called 911 for fire and we thought that was the end of it…. Nope.

After the fire trucks were here, traffic was blocked and they were putting out the fire, the transformer at the end of our driveway literally blew up. BIG TIME!! It blew pieces of the wooden pole all over the road and our yard. We picked up some pieces as long as 4 feet, a good ways back into the yard. Had we had a small lot with a house closer to the road, they may have taken out a skylight, the front picture window, the Jeep…who knows? I was standing in the kitchen under the skylights. It arced twice, lighting the sky like the sun and then the third time was even brighter! As usual I was barefoot, and I felt the power surge all three times as it literally ”vibrated” the house. Thankfully, no cars were on the road since it was blocked and the firefighters were down at the other pole when this one blew, so there were no injuries.

In the surges, it fried my main computer, even on a surge suppressor. Dave’s laptop is fine but my desktop would not even power up. Off computer shopping and I have a new one. I am learning Windows 8.1 (coming from Vista) and after pulling my hair out the first few hours with it, I am learning. It is coming along, albeit slowly.

I try to get the best for the least all the time. Heck this computer is a Lenovo (IBM company and used by many race teams) has a 21.5” HD LED screen, it is an all in one desktop so there is no tower and although it is hooked with a wire to the router, I can disconnect that and take it to another room if I want to and it’ll work off Wi-Fi. So it is kind of both desktop and portable and I paid only $519. for it! I am happy!

I lost a lot of old emails that I wanted to keep even though they are backed up on a thumb drive because this new system doesn’t have the old email programs. There were some recipes I had and some emails had links to recipes for a LOT of cookies and recipes for "hacking" special dishes from restaurants.

Enough about me - on to y'all ....

@ Holly So glad to hear things are coming along well. I have heard nothing but good stuff about your place so I am sure everything is quite lovely. Books...yeah that is an addiction of mine. I have a LOT but I do read and get rid of them once I do. There are only a couple I have kept for reference. Here in the mid-Atlantic area is a chain store called 2nd & Charles. They will buy back your books or give you twice that amount in store credit. I took a lot there and have somewhere over $100 in credit. I don't need more books so I just left the credit balance, but if there is one I want to fill out a series or something I am reading I can go get it. Books they didn't want, I thought about the library. We have at least a dozen huge ones in this county alone and nothing but the newest suits them. So I tried to send them with family to a small town in WV who's library is literally a shed and they have very few books in it. I had about 250 I had boxed up and thought they'd be happy. Their answer?....we can't handle that many so; no thanks. Seriously? She could have sat them in boxes marked FREE and they were going to be delivered to her door. They are all popular authors too so they would appeal to many. I called and asked at the hospital for the patients, and even the VA hospital and they said no thanks. I gave up. I was going to take them to Goodwill and then found that the senior center has a huge weekend long yard sale in the spring and fall. People donate stuff, the seniors price and sell it and use the money to help run the center. It is a big and nice place. So that is where they wound up but they are now gone. I used to sell them on eBay and always did well, but these days people are engrossed in eReaders and books aren't as popular. I must say though, I have noticed lately book sales are increasing. I think some folks miss the feel of a real book, or they have left their Kindle behind and would rather lose a book. LOL

I have to laugh. People thought I was nuts for keeping all my LP records. They are all in furniture that hides them so they are not "ugly" shelf sitters, but now the new thing is VINYL records because of better sound quality. Well....duh!

@ Jan Along with Facebook, there are Yahoo groups for yard sales that work like Holly described. Just find the one for your area and join. There are groups on Yahoo for Freecycle too if you have stuff you just want rid of for free. I don't like people coming to my house, so if I have something posted, I interact through the computer and agree to meet them at the shopping center down the street. You could do that at the Walmart in one direction and the McDonald's (or whatever it is at the exit by the bridge) in the other direction. Close for you either way and no one knows where you live. It is public too so no one can cause harm. I have sold things on Craig's List like that. I even sold our BMW motorcycle on Craig's List from a guy in north NJ. So it works!

I would also encourage you to try eBay. That is another reason I had to have a computer ASAP. I have been busy decluttering and selling on there. Yes, you lose a percentage to them but if you list when they offer that for free (often) and check the "re-list if it doesn't sell" box, then you pay nothing unless it sells. The beauty is you can list, sell and ship all from home. The mailman will come to your door and pick up boxes for free as long as at least one item is being sent Priority Mail. You can even order all your shipping supplies from USPS.com and they deliver them to you free. Is it worth it? Well since January I have sold over $2000 worth of stuff, so I say yes. I like my new year's mantra......."money in.....crap out".......it is a win-win.

@ Rosie I LOVE your screens. I think they will work well for their purpose. I do have one comment that may need addressed now. I don't know how much snow you get where you are. I know you are not in the mountains. I am not either, but we get a lot of snow sometimes and it is often a wet, heavy, snow &/or mixed with ice. I would think that could freeze on the screens, essential clogging them and then the weight of the snow would break the screens. Before it gets cold, and if you get that kind of weather, you might want to consider an X bracing underneath the screens. I say underneath because that will keep the tops flat so leaves blow off and you're not giving snow a place to cling. If not snow, if the leaves on top get rain soaked, they would be heavy as well and could tear the screens if enough were there. I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news, but if they need braced, better now than after the fact. You could do one at a time so the rest are still there and not get a lot of leaves in the stream. You could also use "rat wire" instead of screens. That would work and be stronger too. Just a suggestion......

Well hopefully I haven't bored y'all to death but I haven't been here in a while and am catching up. Everyone have a great week!

Debbie

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loves, So much excitement going on at your place. To bad about the damage it created. Yuck on loosing the computer what a pain that is (been there done that). My new laptop is windows 8 and I can barely use it, sure do miss the old computer with windows 7. I lost my photo program in the new lap top this summer so if I want to post pics I have to go use the house computer. Ric says he will download another photo program for me but hasn't gotten around to it yet. I promise that sometime when the house gets back into some kind of order I will get pics of the renovations. I just love the new color of my walls. Got 2 more bags of books taken to the Library. Our Library has a book sale so the books that I am donating will be sold hopefully to generate some income for the Library. Also bought a paper shredder, the old one bit the dust several months ago. So I have been cleaning out a lot of old paperwork that needs shredded. Putting the finished product into the compost, and covering over with yard waste.

Wow - that sounds scary...the lightening. Hope insurance helped with the electronics. Nowadays the ins companies are so nuts...they pay and then they cancel! Our state farm guy ( 30 years ) says it's the actuaries... No value on long relationships "it's just business" they got the studies to show better to cancel.

The screens are stapled tightly onto cedar with a deer fencing. We do get snow once a year - 3 times....not more than few inches. Rare more. We do get ice storms tho ( bye bye trees) by the time those come...leaves are down. We hope to have screens up by then. Leaves slow to change and fall this year so far.

What color was it Holly? That you love? our house is soooooooo crazy..the light? The pine ceilings? Who knows but paint goes nuts. We painted the spare bath with the nicest fresh taupe-y grey.. Valspar Cinderblock a soft grey..not a crazy undertone. The Revere Pewter (Benjamin Moore) looks good in bedroom...almost all day - real pretty in mornings but 6-7 pm..goes a little Restoration Hardware Silver Sage.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I know just what you mean about how the light effects the colors. We painted the big wall Ship Shape and the other walls the next shade down on the card Gypsy Blue. They are Valspar paints. On one end of the wall it is pretty noticeable that there are two different colors but at the other end you barely can tell due to the light. I just love how the blue walls look with the wood furniture and cabinets. Here are a couple pics of the walls and new kitchen cabinets. I think in my pics that the colors look a bit lighter than they are. First one is the big wall with the darker color. Second pic shows the new kitchen cabinets. We are planning on putting in some kind of backsplash between the counter top and the upper cabinets but we haven't quite picked something for that area out yet. Third pic is the corner where you can see the two different colors pretty well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Very airy and clean colors Holly. You did a great job!
i like yoyr cabinets too.

my daughter has a glass rectangular tile between her counter snd cabinets that would look great with your colors. Her kitchen is a white with a dollop of turquoise in it..very dark cabinets however. I don't know where ahe got the tile...I think Home Depot - she lives about an hour from Scranton .. Anyway, the tile is grey/ silver and greens and blues -- all very spa like and watery if you know what I mean. She wanted to pick up the greys and browns in in her granite with the cabinets and tile.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh there are so many pretty glass tiles, but I think I want something that will be easier to clean. I just see all those little grout lines filling up with grease and spaghetti sauce. LOL I have been looking at these metal tiles especially the copper ones. The hardware on the cabinets is black with a touch of copper. http://aspectideas.com/metal-backsplash-tiles

That should be pretty!

I love copper color but don't seem to have a lot of it.

No grout..tile not flat - thickish glass -- so sits raised side by side with grout buried between. Hard to explain...it is like an emerald cut stone sitting side by side by side. What I saw was every now and again there was a silver or nickel colored tile (metal) and that did have a smudge on it...like it needed a polish if it lived in my house. I think it was a water mark ..so it prob needs a dry cloth after a wet sponge wipe. Those tiles were few and far between ..and my daughter with three kids ( one 2.5 ) will not be polishing nor caring about water marks😖 i bet she has not even noticed. She will sit and color with the kids and let the housework pile up around her and then once a month or if company ( me) is coming..she will be a tornado.

Your colors mixed with terra cotta one of my fav mixes - have similiar in my spare. I think the copper will be lovely. Wipe it with a sponge first to make sure you don't have to go back and buff it each time.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is a thought, my stainless fridge looks terrible all the time as I don't clean the front of it often. I don't clean any more than I have too. LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Debbie, great ideas and encouraging, too about crap out money in.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have another bag of books to go to the Library today. Think I might put a few things on the local Facebook Flea Market and see if they sell.

Newark, DE

@ Holly - I agree with Rosie - your color choice is lovely, so light and airy. Like the sky, it seems it could be used with just about any other color and work well. I so look forward to doing those things at a "new" house. That is what I have been doing with my eBay sales money....setting it aside to decorate and whatever with, when we move. When we do, we are not moving most of the furniture. It is all several years old and time to replace anyway, so very little is worth it. Between eBay, Craig's List and whatever, I hope to have enough to also buy some new furniture. We'll get it either way, but if not needed for furniture it'll buy a bigger/better house, LOL.

Well I didn't know it at the time but according to a real computer nerd my buying the 8.1 Windows was a good thing because it is better/easier than 8. I am learning it but very disappointed in losing so much. I have the CD's for my own photo program that I will load in this one and so the pics on thumb drive should transfer - I hope. I haven't attempted that yet. My music library is more a hassle than anything. I still have all the CD's that were loaded in it, so I can reload them. Pain in the rear for sure, but that is doable.

Your copper backsplash idea sounds nice. You know, you could also add a touch of copper to any curtain rods in the room too just to pull it together more. You don't have to paint them all copper, you could make them black and then add a touch of copper in a buff style...just a thought. Heck depending on how much copper you want, you could get a copper paint (for metal) and do the fridge too! That will darken the room because you'll loose some reflectivity but it is a thought only you could decide. I doubt I would be that radical but the curtain rods - yep, I'd do that.

Also, another thought, if you like the glass tiles, use a grout that is not white. You can chose other colors and I bet you could get it in copper. That wouldn't show stains and if sealed well, it should not gather grease - again just thoughts - ignore any and all, my brain just gets in gear and ideas keep coming. Sorry - you should try to shut it off to go to bed and sleep. That is a chore.

Great job on the books and the shredding. You're doing so well - you go girl!

@ Rosie Yes it was a very weird experience for sure. I have seen transformers blow in videos but never in person, much less so close. In a way I would have liked to have seen it from outside, not looking up through the skylights at the brightness. But honestly, as bright as it made the sky, it could have literally been blinding.

I never bothered to report a claim to insurance. They can doing nothing for lost content, and the computer I bought was $519. After having to report a claim last year for the burglary for jewelry loss as well as to pay for a whole new door and storm door replacement and installation, I figure another claim a year later would not be good. So for $519, I just bought it and didn't bother. Like you said they are weird and will cancel you or something or maybe think it was a lie. Not worth the hassle.

Glad you have a hardier screen than I thought. I had no idea you were going to take them up either. I assumed they would stay down not just for the falling leaves but for them blowing around in winter too, then take them up in the spring. My bad....

@ Jan Thanks. Yep it works and I sometimes chuckle going through stuff and repeat..."money in....crap out...." .... breathe.....and ommmmmm........LOL

We don't have a ground level swirling blowing leaf issue like we did in N.Y. I am not sure why. Most of the leaves will fall before we lift the screens. Those that are stubbornly holding on remain so until new growth starts. Not sure if it is the forest...but breezes do not go to the ground. It is a rare rare rare day when I can sut outside and feel a breeze even tho the trees may be rustling and moving quite well. The tall wind mills move ( 8-10 feet perhaps).

Newark, DE

Hmmmmm....that is interesting. I suppose the amount of trees make the breeze break up at higher levels. That is logical if you think about it, but not living in that heavily denser tree area it never crossed my mind.

I will have to keep that in mind when we look for a "new" place. I love trees, but so look forward to having a breeze to open my windows to. I live at a VERY busy intersection and since it was widened in both directions, trees cut and roadbeds raised, car exhaust is all that comes in. The windows have not been opened in years and heavy duty air cleaners run 24/7.

Newark, DE

Just stopped in to say "howdy" and wish all you girls a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Debbie

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Rightbackatcha, Debbie.

Hoping the weather doesn't get too crazy!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, hope everyone has a great Holiday. I hope the weather isn't bad either. We have family that will be traveling that day and even my parents won't drive if it is ugly so some one will have to run and pick them up.

I tried TWICE to get on and say Happy Thanksgiving yesterday and never made it.
Whatta week.

Hope you all have a great one - whether quiet or crazy.

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought you might like to see this painting. It is an original watercolor that we picked up in the Bahamas done by a local Bahamian artist. We have had it for years. It had been hung for awhile, Ric put it in a rather ugly second hand frame with no matting just to protect it and get it up on the wall. Then it was taken down and tucked away for several years waiting to be properly farmed and hung. It's pretty colorful, went a bit bold with the lime green top mat. I am really happy with the end result but would enjoy getting your honest opinions on it.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The green contrasts nicely with the color on the wall and it also picks out the greens in the painting itself. LOVE it!!!!!

When Jeff picks out mats for people he(we) try to pick out one of the colors in the art itself to highlight. Usually we hit it pretty well. He is going to be busy on his Christmas break. We have 4 pieces to frame. Only one is a paying job.
For one he will be using floor boards from an attic for the frame. I did a cross stitch for my secret sister and the boards are actually from her house. Another is the grandies' handprints in different greens in the shape of a wreath. I'll use the youngest's hand print in red for the berries. Hoping it turns out. Another is a hand painted picture on cloth that my friend got in the Ivory Coast when we were there.

I like it very much because it is reflecting island life and because it is very fresh. Nothing is muddy in it and that is exactly how it should be in a tropical place. That is a lot of detail for a watercolor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.