4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 3

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys really appreciate your opinions.
Missingrosie, "reflecting island life" Yes that is just how Ric and I feel. Just like looking out a kitchen window in one of those little beach shack houses. Hog fish hanging from the morning fishing and waiting to be cleaned and eaten. Love the pot of paint brushes as part of the picture. Makes me think that is the artists home.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

That is what I was thinking that the misc things on the table were parts and pieces of still life used in the work.

Newark, DE

Well Holly, it seems Jan and Rosie said everything I was going to say. If your walls were not blue then a turquoise mat would look nice. However, with the blue walls I think you made a good choice with the contrasting green to make the greens in the painting pop. Love the scene itself - "reflecting island life" is a good analogy but it is also calming to look at. The artist was certainly talented as things are in perspective and detailed. "Different strokes for different folks" (pun intended), but I don't like paintings that you have no clue what are, or are just so unrealistic that it looks like a child did the work. Honestly, I don't even care for the impressionistic style. It makes me think the artist was too busy to care about detail.

Bottom line.... I love the art piece and I like how it is framed and matted for your wall. The frame kind of reminds me of driftwood too!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Loves, You are all pretty much reflecting how I feel about it. I realized that I never did post pics of the floor finished. So here it is.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly you must be sooooooooo pleased. The floors are warm and beautiful and your rooms look so inviting. I love the color of the wood. And, I love the contrast to the stone. You did a great job. It looks very very very warm.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I really am. I just love the color of the walls, can't get over how good the floors feel on my feet. I am actually walking around the house barefoot, something I never did on the painted floor. I am so very pleased with the whole remodel.

Newark, DE

Very pretty Holly! Congrats!

I agree with Rosie - warm and inviting, for sure. I love hardwood floors. I have oak hardwood floors and agree - I run around barefoot all year but the best part is the ease of cleaning. I hate carpets! You vacuum, and vacuum, then scrub, then vacuum then get the cleaner to clean them, then vacuum - it never really is clean, no matter what you do. Not wood, or tile is like that! The older I get the more I appreciate the ease of care.

Thanks for sharing the pics..... It looks great!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Happy Birthday Loves. Hope you are having a great day.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ditto!! Happy Birthday, dear!!!

Newark, DE

Thank you Holly and Jan!

Merry Christmas to y'all and everyone else here - May you be blessed with love, health and happiness, not just at Christmas, but all through the New Year!

Debbie

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One of the downstairs bedrooms (the ocean room) has gotten pretty messy again. It was looking really really good after the remodel but all the kitchen stuff got put in there while we were remodeling the kitchen and some of it is still in the bedroom waiting for me to make a decision on where it is to go. I am giving myself 2 weeks to have it clean and done. Picture will be posted in 2 weeks clean or not.........
Ric has piles, neat folded piles but piles none the less of his clothes. So I will be kicking his butt to get them put away. Mostly summer clothes that he is meaning to go thru and discard or pack away till next summer.
So Ric did get my photo program in the lap top all back and in working order. So I spent some of my early hours organizing some of the pictures. Even though you can't see it like things laying around the house I think it counts as de-cluttering.

You are right because the thought of tons of photos all jumbled clutters the mind too.

Happy Birthday Debbie!

Hope you all had a good Christmas and Happy New Year

Newark, DE

Thanks Rosie.

I would suggest once you get the photos copied to the computer then burn them to a DVD or CD too. It takes up little room but is playable on most any TV, in fact, some DVD players are set to play "slide show" for them. It also serves as a back up should the computer crash. At the very least, back them up on thumb drive if not viewing on TV.

Happy New Year everyone!

Debbie

Newark, DE

Happy New Year everyone! May your year be blessed with health and happiness, your homes filled with love!

Debbie

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

And right back at you, Debbie.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy New Year, May all of your have a wonderful new year.

And may our minds be as uncluttered as the latest drawer we've sorted thru!

Newark, DE

Well, I thought obligated to report in my de-cluttering accomplishments for 2014, giving myself (and maybe others) encouragement to do even more this year....

1. Although a lot were things from others that contributed to the cause, much was mine, but I took several large bags of sheets, towels, blankets to the no-kill animal shelter - twice - and a load of medical supplies with some linen things on a third trip.

2. I donated 20 or so grocery bags full of clothes to the battered women's shelter.

3. I gave some household items and some clothes in her size to a friend.

3. Last January, I told y'all I wanted to start a mantra for the year which was; "money in... crap out..." Well, I am happy to report that the year end sales total on eBay was $3589.48. That is pretty good for one year and it is a win-win because stuff is out of here and Mr. Piggy bank is happy.

So gals.... with that in mind, I know I feel encouraged to tackle more. I have discovered another benefit too. With so much accomplished I am encouraged to take a little time for me and do some things I haven't done for a while. Anytime I wanted to paint a picture, go out for a day with my camera for photography fun, or any other thing I WANTED to do, I would also feel guilty because much NEEDED to be done. In the end, I would do nothing. Now I feel I can "justify" a little "me time". I still have more to sell, donate or whatever but now I think I can also have a little fun in the mix without the guilt. Wow....imagine that!

I am still busy with many family needs for those I care for and that's not changing. It takes a lot of my time and is above all else, but I still see progress from the time I could put to it!......it's all good!!!

Here's to an even better de-cluttering year ahead.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loves, What an inspiring report. I am working on small projects and making some progress. It is hard to get rid of things that you think maybe useful. I had a box full of used candles, I kept thinking that I would melt them down and make more candles from them. I even did a few, but I didn't really use them. Some of them have been in that box for years. So I posted them in the local online yard sale for free, gone now. I saw someone in search for used blankets, sheets, towels and such several months ago to give to the shelter, I have a pile in the bedroom up stairs and I have bagged them up just waiting to be delivered to the the shelter. Small steps but heading in the right direction.

Newark, DE

Thanks Holly, but don't sell yourself short. You have had a lot of painting and remodeling going on which looks wonderful, BTW! I haven't done anything like that. You should be commended on your accomplishments for THOSE jobs!!! Not taking away from the small steps, be proud of them too especially amidst the remodels because you have it going on in 2 ways! You go girl!

There are things that need to be done to this house, especially if we sell and move like we're hoping to do, once my dad, brother and his family move. My SIL retires in June, they already have a place in WV and plan to go there. It is 52 acres and has a house for bro, SIL and niece, plus a cabin for Dad. When they do, I will have to help Dad sell, donate or pack his stuff.

Of course, as my life goes, now Dad is saying he wants to stay here. If so, that will mean more of my time will be spent over at his house taking care of him, or he may have to move in here, or move with us, or???? That's is why for now I am working on stuff I need to do regardless of what the future holds. Dad turned 86 last week. He lives alone in his house, but bro Tim and family are literally 50 feet out his back door so they watch and make sure he is okay and often Dad goes out to have supper with them. Tim is a quadriplegic, but his wife and daughter are there to see that Dad is okay. I take him to doctors, grocery store etc., and deal with all the bills. Without them there, things will change.

They will not be moving the day after she retires and will likely be doing so over time. How much time..... I don't know. So just like the last 60 years of my life, it is at someone else's concerns and I make no plans. I live in flux...one day at a time.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loves, Being a caregiver is such a hard job. We do for those that we love, but can sacrifice so much of our own lives doing it
I am starting to refinish the stairwell to the second floor. The lower part that can be seen from the living area was finish way back but the upper part never was. I am hoping to get started on it as soon as all the Christmas boxes are back up stairs.

does this count as de cluttering success??

I went through 2 big Christmas trunks ....43 years worth.....all the parts and pieces of broken ornaments ..(broken but sentimental) ....old light strings ..(that might have bulbs that I can use as replacements) ...old empty small cardboard boxes ( that maybe someday would be perfect for protecting a single delicate ornament) an extra tree topper star ( OK 2 Stars! ) (because the plain and simple brightly-lighted ones are darn hard to find). BeRibboned photos...( look how cute my kids were...and there is Raggs..and Princess...and Rosie -- and I am STILL MISSINGROSIE. (And the tears flowed )

A big de cluttering effort (and a HUGE trip down memory lane)

What I tossed: ( drum roll ) ONE soppy, sticky, cellophane-wrapped candy cane fashioned into a sad one-eyed reindeer that Joshua made.....

PS. I didn't really toss that reindeer candy cane ...I just moved it.☺️

Ladies..lI guess the Christmas ornament trunks are just off the de cluttering "table" -- but I made them NEATER -- does that count??

This message was edited Jan 19, 2015 3:29 PM

Newark, DE

Absolutely!

Neatness counts, because I am sure in making it neat, you also created room in which to add more sentimental items that can be culled from elsewhere, right? It makes sense to me.

I know what you mean about those who are gone. Of course there are things made by grandparents and parents when we couldn't afford real ornaments but there is the rest too....I miss my Cassie, Mandy, Peppy, Hodji, Gimpy and so many other "kids" no longer here. How each of them loved Christmas for the tree and what toys and treats Santa would bring, will be things I never forget. It's tough. Someone will toss them when I am gone, but for me - they are treasures.....and now my tears are rolling....

Don't worry about it. It doesn't take up that much room and the heart is as big as you allow it to be. It will hold it all -

Missing mine too - Hugs!
Debbie

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I hear you on the old, damaged, and down right cheap and ugly Christmas ornaments that we don't use any more. But I still can't just throw them away. When my children were little I had these cheap, ugly plastic melted together wall hangers a Santa, a reindeer and a snowman. My children just loved them and each year they were hung on their bedroom doors. Several years ago I tried to give them to each of the kids but even they didn't want them. So why do I still have them in my boxes.

Exactly!

this ghost is turning to DUST -- literally.
If there is a fire...it's me and the ghost.... It is over 30 years old and made from a TISSUE. "Made by Josh age 5" I know that because he wrote on it in pen. ☺️

My brother is so critically ill on a respirator now. Everyday I wonder if today is the day we will lose him. Years ago he gave me a LEG. Disembodied. With a lace stocking...and a one eyed cow ....the kids will toss them. My husband says "when we go they will put a box outside the window and toss it all out" I just can't worry about that now but today I can protect my treasures.

Debbie, we left right after Christmas to go to S. Fla. ...spent the days at Mercy Hospital in the ICU...got home exhausted after driving all day...what did I find....newly installed and secured curtain rod with NEW light as a feather shower curtain in the bathtub! 😣

Thumbnail by missingrosie

Position of honor at the top

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL I love your ghost. I have a hand print reindeer.
Yes, I was thinking that when the kids go thru my Christmas boxes they will find several pieces of their art work and the ugly plastic wall decorations. I can just hear them now talking about how much they loved them when they were children.

So sorry to hear about your brother. ((hugs))

Thanks.😔

Newark, DE

I never had kids so I don't have those types of ornaments, but I do think the ghost is cute. I do have many that were made by my crafty grandparents and parents when we couldn't afford those pretty "store bought" ones. I will always keep them, even though they'll mean nothing to anyone else. Dave's son, knew my grandmother and mother and when he and his family get a home and get out of the apartment I am going to ask him if he would like to have some of them. He may - or not.... I don't know. Rosie, like your hubby said - that is what will happen. A dumpster in the driveway when we are gone. I thought about that and see it over and over by so many people.

After all my jewelry and family keepsakes were stolen, most everything else I own, took on another meaning for me. I am still upset having lost so many irreplaceable items but in the end it is still just stuff and I have no one to pass it on to anyway. It took the rest of 2013 to get over it, as best I could anyway, and then in January of last year, I seriously started to clean and clear out stuff. Much is gone. Much is still to go through but when we do get to move there will be a LOT less to worry about. When I croak, there won't be as much crap for someone else to toss either.

So sorry to hear about your brother. I will keep him and you in my prayers. The leg he gave you....is it like black fishnet stockings? There is a movie they play every Christmas although I only watched it once, called A Christmas Story. In it, was some young boys impressed with someone's lamp that was a woman's leg in some type stockings. I have seen ornaments and such made like that, though most have the lamp shade too. There are many versions but here is one;

http://www.hallmarkornaments.com/2009-what-a-lamp-a-christmas-story

Perhaps the one he gave you is a reminder of family at Christmas which was the point of the movie???

Okay I have to say you are right - new rod, lighter curtain and it still comes down? Yep your "housemate" seems to be saying "hi" - or maybe he missed you while you were in FL? They do like attention! LOL

Like you, as long as they don't do any real harm, just little pranks I just give them recognition and go on. I only had to banish one. Acknowledgment appeases the rest thank goodness. Just tell him what is going on with your brother and why you had to be gone. Ask for his help in protecting the house should you need to leave again. He will be much happier being given a job to do and appreciated for it and won't be apt to cause a ruckus (or temper-tantrum) for you leaving or not paying attention. That seems logical to me knowing how they are. Try it and see.

I ironed those lightweight cotton curtains ...not easy... no perm press.... now the bottoms look like an accordion. Grrrrr

You said it all in your first paragraph or two....it doesn't take an ornament made by a child but an ornament (or anything) that conjures up a memory of a loved one.

The stockinged leg reminds me of what Miss Kitty the saloon maid would wear. Yes, to the black.. lace... with a frilly top.

I told my kids to get rid of my stuff in a respectful way or THEY will get chains and clanking in the wee hours of the morn.

My brother just gets worse and worse... Now the sternum is infected and it has to be opened and irrigated and packed...if he makes it a skin flap from abdomen will be harvested -- to close it but right now we are praying no bone will be removed ( a bigger surgery with anesthesia ) until a time when he stabilizes from the bleed around the heart ( valve surgery x 2 -and a hole in heart perhaps left from the first surgery last year ) caused by the Xaralto ...and a blood infection ( that infected the sternum) caused by the PICC line that he had in to deliver medications...and a pneumonia caused by the ventilator. So Thank God for the doctors and their education and brains and compassion...but the medical care that so often saves lives and corrects conditions is fraught with side effects and danger.

Now, not sure why these curtains turned sideways.......and the first loaded second and the second first.... But the second is the freshly (pre trip) pressed top and the first is the accordianed bottom!

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

Ah, I see when the photos are clicked on...they rotate correctly. I wonder why that is.

Newark, DE

Hey Girls!

Hope all is well!

Rosie, have you had any more shower curtain pranks from your "buddy" now that you are home? Hope not! LOL

I was at the hospital with my brother yesterday and couldn't help but think about you and yours. My brother is a quadriplegic and although he has had cervical fusion in the past he had to have more fused. Yesterday they fused C2-C3, and anchored it to the fusion on C-4. There was a lot of wiggling going on in there and that's very scary especially being so high up. They added rods to the screwed in metal plate, took some bone from his hip as building blocks for the new bone to grow and fuse to. The surgeon said it all went well. I had to be there by 10AM and got home after 11PM. Long day, exhausting and very painful on my back, but happy it all went well. Said a prayer for you and yours and hope things improve. I'll keep y'all in my prayers - let us know when you can how things are going.

Hugs to you sister!
Debbie

Newark, DE

Hey Girls!

Hope all is well!

Rosie, have you had any more shower curtain pranks from your "buddy" now that you are home? Hope not! LOL

I was at the hospital with my brother yesterday and couldn't help but think about you and yours. My brother is a quadriplegic and although he has had cervical fusion in the past he had to have more fused. Yesterday they fused C2-C3, and anchored it to the fusion on C-4. There was a lot of wiggling going on in there and that's very scary especially being so high up. They added rods to the screwed in metal plate, took some bone from his hip as building blocks for the new bone to grow and fuse to. The surgeon said it all went well. I had to be there by 10AM and got home after 11PM. Long day, exhausting and very painful on my back, but happy it all went well. Said a prayer for you and yours and hope things improve. I'll keep y'all in my prayers - let us know when you can how things are going.

Hugs to you sister!
Debbie

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear it went well! Praying for complete healing.

Happy your sister did well.
My brother has been intubated or reintubated FIVE times this go'round.
He now is UP in Chair ( yea! ) past few days but he has C- Diff infection. VERY hard to clear up.
good results in the news with Fecal Transplants.... It began to be really studied when a few parents or kids with resistant C.Diff took matters in their own hands and used their feces to seed their children anyway they could and with great results. Now it is becoming mainstream.

He has had his sternum opened again...infected..bones not fusing ...needs to scraped so now left wide open -- until he is stable enough to provide skin for harvest to close it.. 6 hour operation.

Bleed around the heart from Xaralto -- more chest tubes.
Sepsis
Pneumonia

And I believe the valves needed replacing because when he had his bypass last year ( months on ventilator...clots...pneumonia...air leaks ...) the valves got infected from one of the central lines that had to be in for months.

He is a wonderful, sensitive, loving, funny and brilliant man....but he is an alcoholic and his nutrition suffers and I believe that is why he suffers with all the things like poor healing that cime with alcoholism.

No, it has been as quiet as anything around here, but, I have not ironed that shower curtain and I am not!!! Hahahahaha

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, Such sad stories, good health is such a gift those that have it really just don't understand how very lucky they are and how fleeting it can be.
I was working on the ceiling in the stairway got almost half of it done but althought it was going quickly I just couldn't keep it up. Shoulders and arms were just protesting too much. Headache, going to take a nap. Dear Ric did all the clean up for me.

Holly I saw all you are doing on another thread...the thing to remember is you are the one that sets your pace. I know with the tons of stuff you guys are doing you are ready for it to be done already...strike while iron hot....etc., bu nobody is rushing you..so take your time. No sense throwing something out muscle-wise.

You want to enjoy the house when all is done

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Missingrosie, I am, I just want to keep the momentum going. I am hoping to get the landing done after the stairwell and refinish the stairs. I would like the whole area completely finished by spring. You know once Spring comes nothing gets done inside. LOL

Newark, DE

@Jan - Thank you for your prayers. Yes it will take time but he had surgery on his buttock for a sore that wouldn't heal a few weeks ago, so he is bedridden for now. That is good in that he doesn't have to have a collar from the neck surgery on like most people. He isn't allowed to be up at all for anther 2 weeks and then we can start to raise him incrementally. He can be up to 30 degrees to start then but not sitting all the way up. When he is able to sit up to 90 degrees with our help of course and maybe get in the wheelchair then he will need his collar.

@Rosie - Although there is much still wrong with your brother it does seem there is some improvement. Being up in a chair really is a big deal! Will pray for continued improvement. With sepsis and pneumonia I am sure he has been on a battery of broad spectrum antibiotics. Sadly, this often causes C-diff diarrhea and even yeast infections. Ask you doctor about putting him on HIGH doses of Probiotics. This does help combat C-diff and according to my doctor you cannot take too much probiotics. They are the ("bacteria") fauna that is already in our guts. Antibiotics kills them off and it is this imbalance that then causes C-diff.

I had not heard about the fecal transplants but it is logical. Just like anything if you are not exposed to it, you body cannot build an immunity to it. I always agreed with George Carlin on that bit he did about germs. Ironically, they have found that after the hand sanitizer craze started there were more kids' illnesses occurring. Warning about language but if you never heard George's bit - here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

If they can get his bones infection free and they start to fuse, they'll apply collagen. Then get them to use silver alginate to help the skin to close and heal faster and stops infection. Works better than anything we have found. It is an Rx - but it works. As I said - I will continue to keep him in my prayers. Hugs to you too!

LOL can't blame you on the shower curtain. It is possible your "buddy's" message is to let you know he is there in your trying time over your brother's health. It could very well be just to let you know he cares. It is not always negative stuff like Hollywood makes it out at all.....wrinkled shower curtain and all. But it does get your attention and that is his intent....IMO

@Holly - good luck with the work but like Rosie said - pace yourself. Spring won't be here next week, so take your time. Your plans sound wonderful and will make such a big difference! After so long and finally getting to it, you want it done! Just take care of yourself.

Thanks.
I asked sis to ask about probiotics. I think Florastor the best
the fecal transplant is to colonize the bowel with healthy microrganisms
Good to know about the wound Rx. He has a wound vac now.

Yes once spring gets here all is lost. We will have it sooner than PA will
My daughter lives in Browndale/ Forest City and she says "Done Mom..I am just DONE" ( with winter )

This message was edited Jan 30, 2015 11:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.