4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 3

Newark, DE

Cool!

I had to laugh at myself when I read the Florastor name, because then I realized when I wrote bacteria earlier, I said fauna not flora - what an idiot. Guess I was thinking about the matched set like salt & pepper...LOL I will check into it. Dad has problems and so far I have been able to stay ahead of it with Probiotics but foreknowledge is a good tool to have.

The wound vac will be what he needs now for sure, but after that clears, skin graft and the healing begins silver alginate is the best. We use it all the time when my brother's skin breaks down, and it heals pretty quickly.

I just read a couple days ago about a new drug they have for antibiotic resistant strains like MRSA that is showing good progress. If so, it will be available soon. One thing that they have found to do wonders (and it does!) is Manuka Honey. It is not sold in grocery stores (that stuff is mostly corn syrup sold as honey anyway). Manuka honey is made from the nectar of the Manuka tree. It is found in natural food stores, health stores etc. It is used in many places because it works so well and is affordable to most anyone. They use it on MRSA in 3rd world countries with amazing results. It doesn't hurt to have a small jar in the house for cuts to keep away infections. For your brother though, I'd stick with the silver alginate when he gets to that stage.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I use manuka it is great for acid reflux. Get it from Australia . Has therapeutic doses of the pollen -- no laws to control what is labeled as manuka. Just has to have some. I did buy it for sis who had terrible radiation sores from breast cancer radiation.

It is the worst tasting honey... Yuk...

Newark, DE

I know - it is not great tasting but does do wonders for healing. Glad you didn't think I was nuts. LOL

Even REAL regular honey is good for treating things both interior and exterior. It just has to be real honey and not the colored corn syrup some stores sell as honey.

We are lucky to live next Tia huge bee farm / honey producer

Newark, DE

Me too! Well..... it's not a big one but big enough and only about 3 miles away.

We have two big ( probably more) that distribute and a bunch of small local. Burts Bees was local. Guess the environment here in piedmont of NC good.

I have been patiently waiting for just a little bit of snow... Nothing crazy ....but no luck this year

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Missingrosie, So sorry you have no snow. I on the other hand have plenty of it. Not so much that it is a problem but just enough to make it pretty outside. It is snowing right now, not sure how much we are to get, quite a bit I think. Here is a little snow for you.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Ohhhhhhh. THANK YOU. You may not think it is so but snow photos do take the edge off the
pain for this lil Yankee Gal

Newark, DE

Never fear Rosie it is just now February and that is when we get more snow than January. Don't know if that is true for you or not, but maybe? I am not that much farther south than Holly but am closer to the coast. It seems we got enough warm air up the coast to push the cold air north so the 5-8" we were supposed to get, turned into about 1" than rain. It is raining now. That's okay - I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and would prefer my automatic truck to the manual shift Jeep.

My daughter in PA got 9 inches today ( or maybe last night?? )
I don't think it matters here...Jan or Feb.
Ice is our problem here and the worst was first week inDec a few years back.

Newark, DE

I believe it! West and North of Philly, then all up into new England was hit hard by a couple storms. Someone I know just outside Boston said he got 3 feet. We've had that here a few times. We get ice storms too, but seldom. I suppose that is your problem because you are located where the cold snow from the mountains meets the warmer air from the coast? One year in March of 93 we got snow, then ice then snow then ice, then snow. It was like a lasagna that was 3 feet +/- deep and with the embedded ice very vary to shovel or anything.

Isn't it wondrous to think of all the weather and temperature differences we have in the US? We are such a close knit country between people we often (I at least) forget the vastness of it all. Can you imagine living in a country as small as one of out smaller states? Even the UK is a little smaller than Oregon which isn't that small, but it does put it into perspective. I've ridden across the country in motorcycle more than once and it was amazing! We are truly blessed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cleaning out the top bathroom cabinet. Bagging up a bunch of sample soaps and shampoos that I have been saving to go to the Mission. They hand them out to the street people.

I do the same. This year I am asking that folks save all those free lunch sacks, overnight toiletry cases, makeup cases, all the stuff employers give for employee recognition that has a pouch and zipper...and I am filling with the small soaps, shampoos, comb, toothpaste, snacks, etc, bigger sacks, I will add towel.

We also right before winter do a blanket drive. The younger set picks up and takes downtown to the park.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is why I have a huge pile of them. A friend of my daughters collected purses/bags and would fill them and give them to the Homeless. But last year I never did get what I collected to them and this year they stopped doing it. So I have a good 2 years of collecting plus a few other freebies that I picked up a couple of toothbrushes, pill case and such.

I never considered purses. That is a good idea

Newark, DE

Great job Holly! .....Decluttering is de-cluttering and as long as it goes... it's a good thing; but going to a good cause, is even better! If they no longer hand them out at the park, check with the homeless shelters themselves.

Also, what I do with mine as well as clothes, is donate them to the battered women's shelters. Likely you don't know where that is because they don't want angry ex's to know. I went down to the state police barracks and told them what I wanted to do and asked for a contact name. He gave it to me with her number, I called her, we met and I gave her the stuff. After she knew I was for real, she told me where it was and I now just take things there.

They have expanded now and have a home for men; some just homeless and some are battered too, so Dave's unneeded things can go there. They also have a barn where they store furniture and household items donated. They help find people jobs and once they have one, are established, and want to get a place of their own, this place helps them find an apartment and then they go to the barn for the furniture/household items needed. It is a wonderful system. Anyway - it is a thought to pursue. I sometimes take things to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but really, I prefer to put it into the hands of someone who needs it, if I can.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great idea Lovs, I tried to donate my couch to a shelter once. Took them 2 days to call me back and by then the couch was gone. Next time I will know not to wait till the last minute to give them notice that I have something. I have given other things to different places. The Hbg YWCA has a program for mothers and I took over a rocking chair, portable crib and a few toys. They were seriously overwhelmed. I guess not too many people do that. The easiest thing is to drop things at the Salvation Army I don't have to run all over to different places and it's location is very handy for me.

Newark, DE

Yes, doing a little different than the "norm" can take a little time, effort and be inconvenient, but I still like to do that when I can. I also take old sheets, towels, blankets, bedspreads, etc., to a no-kill animal shelter. They use them for the animals to bathe them and also their bedding so they have a "bankie".

I do know that the Salvation Army and Goodwill sell stuff to help others which is a good thing too. So if I am unable to, or don't have the time due to other duties with family care giving, I just drop stuff off there. It is all good and it is all a way to get it gone.

Newark, DE

Hi everyone! I have been thinking about you gals.

I was particularly thinking about you Rosie and your brother. How is he doing? How are you doing? Keeping y'all in my prayers....

Holly - how's that stairway coming along?

No one has posted for a month so I thought I would check in. Oh and Rosie, another thought of you - this just came across my computer -

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 11 pm this evening to 7 pm EST Thursday.
•Hazard types: A steady accumulating snow. Possibly heavy at times. From late tonight into Thursday.
•Snow accumulations: 6 to 10 inches.
•Timing: rain will change to snow overnight and the snow will continue into Thursday.
•Impacts: widespread and substantial impacts on travel are expected for late tonight and Thursday

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No work on the stairway, sorry to say. Just can't seem to get myself motivated to get up there. But time is running short and I set a goal to finish it before the weather is nice enough to work outside so I will be working on it soon. Josh is coming over today to install shelves for me today. I picked them up at IKEA last year, just could never get it together for him to come. Ric insisted that he would do it, finally I said Josh was coming to do it. He didn't argue, I keep telling him that just because he can do something doesn't mean he has too.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, I should tell that one to Jeff.

Here's what has happened here in the last month.

Thumbnail by Jan23 Thumbnail by Jan23

Wow Jan that looks like a lot of work
Holly..it is always like that for me..things zoom and then they slow.
Loves - thanks for asking. He is still in acute care - our appeal to medicare to prevent transfer to long term care based on too many needs - WORKED! It worked! My sis switched him to medicare replacement - which denied appeal and then we took it to medicare since this AvMed in S. Fla replaced Medicare.
where is that snow due? We are expecting some wintry mix...and the ice sheets FINALLY skid off the roof today - and it is like SUMMER here so about 70 and sunny.
Have not checked on daffodils yet but saw shoots two weeks ago. Screens off the pond and stream and using barley and water nice and clear! Yea!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, it is!!, hehehe. ONE way to declutter?

Thankful that appeal worked!! Woohoo!!!!

Am thinking there will be a snow day tomorrow.

Rough winter for the northeast..my daughter in Pennsylvania is " Done Mom,...DONE! "
You are correct -- that IS a way to declutter and what fun when it is done.

I did not think the appeal would work...but Medicare is harder on the replacement plans as compared to itself! He does have 3 chest drains in still and the sternal incision ( a canyon!!) had MRSA and so there are lots of lines going in and out and it is risky to be in a long term care facility,

Well...all of you expecting wintry weather -- I hope it passes quickly and March's lion and lamb switch places. 😊

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Continued prayers for your brother.

Would love to have March's lamb right about now. The sleety stuff switched over to snow about 7am. DS's flight was cancelled. They told him Friday at 6pm. He changed to leaving from Boston. Hopefully that flight at 4:30 will be able to land. They really miss the kiddos. I have been babysitting since Tuesday morning. Thankfully, DH has a snow day so we can tag team.

Ages for the kids?
Ours here are 2.5 and just turned 6. And......let me say............. Whew.......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

2, 7, 8, and 10. Today we are tag teaming the effort since Jeff doesn't have school today.

Wow...can you see my hat?? Because Ijust took it off in a salute to you both!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Their flight keeps getting delayed. Praying they make it in tonight.

Our 16 yr old, 11 yr old and almost 3 yeae old in Pa. If they ALL were here snow days.....my husband would be under the bed and BAKED ZITI couldn't drag him out! ( and for him that is saying something )

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hahahahaha.

Jeff picked them up at the airport about. 7pm. The kids were cute when they got here. Especially the little one. He ran to the door when it opened. DS and DDIL were eating and Thomas got his coat and said...go home now! Very sweet!!!! Thinking I will sleep well tonight.

😊
Happy memories

They do like their own stuff around them.

Newark, DE

Holly - I understand what you mean - it is always something going on isn't it? Well hey at least you're getting the shelves done and only a year!! For me it always seems like the 10 year mark so in my book - you're ding well!

Jan - wow! You are in the middle of major work! Then kids too...longer than expected?!? God bless you girlfriend!

Rosie - glad to hear things are working out well for your brother's care! I think just getting the help they need if half the battle! So good job! I have had a royal fight with hospitals on more than one occasion. I had to cuss an entire conference table full of doctors and surgeons out once to prove my point - but I was right. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Oh and the snow - we were in the band of the heaviest amount (Jan was too I am sure) We got 8 inches here so I thought I'd send you a few pics. It was the wet kind that hangs on everything - enjoy.

Azalea bush outside my office window
Back yard
Side yard
Jeep after on 2-3" getting ready to go to doctor appt.

Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint
Newark, DE

The colors on these have streaks but I took them through the windows that have mirror reflecting film on them (mirrored outside - like sunglass on the inside) and it affects the digital processor, but thought you'd enjoy the cardinal, the birdfeeder with a waiting line, and a red headed woodpecker who came to eat from the brick window sill. Oh yes and one of the ever present ground piggy, fuzzy tails

Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint Thumbnail by lovetopaint
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, we got about 8" here. Sun has melted off the streets and sidewalk.

We only had the kiddos for 3 days. Two of them actually loved helping pop-pop find and pound out nails in the drywall. I was surprised how well they did. The little one would go back there, then come out and tell me something then go back and forth MANY times. Who needs a treadmill? He didn't. Hehehe.

Picked up some plywood for the floor today. Jeff is working on figuring out the layout of the bathroom.

We hd the heavy wet too. Love the snow photos especially the second and the wildlife.
Jealous of that cardinal!!

Newark, DE

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, Rosie. Sorry the wildlife has the blue cast but with the window film, pictures turn out that way...I like it though because no one can see in and yet we see out. The bird feeder is right out my window so it stays busy, even being so close. Of course we have a line of seed on the window sills too and so they are just on the other side of the glass. The cat's condo/treehouse is right at that window, so she has a blast watching the birds. Their noses are 3 inches apart and the birds have no idea.

We have several pairs of Cardinals that stay here year round, along with Blue Jays, a couple types of Finches, Chickadees, of course the Woodpecker and many more. The woodpecker is funny. He bangs his beak on the seed to break them to eat. So you hear this banging going on out the window and know "Woody is here".

It has warmed up now and 99% of the snow is gone. Who knows? Spring might actually be coming....I won't hold my breath just yet. I have seen it snow in April. But I am hoping....

Holly - you better get a wiggle on to get that staircase done before the outside beckons. LOL

Jan - good luck with the bathroom and remodel. Hope all goes well there.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was just thinking about it this morning but I have several errands to run later today. Yesterday was just beautiful out we opened all the doors and windows and let the old stale air out. It is colder today no open windows but the house just feels so much fresher today. Josh is back today right now working on the shelving unit for the bedroom. When he came the last time he didn't have the right size anchor bolts so he just looked everything over and said he would be back.
Ric and I were at a local flower show Sunday. Ric put our names in the drawling and we won! A huge wheelbarrow and it is full of gardening tools and a $300 gift certificate from one of the landscapers. That is my errand for later, going to pick it up. I got this beautiful camellia for just $10 from one of the display gardens. We usually buy a few plants as they are tearing down the display gardens. Got a dozen garden phlox, 2 large black fountain grasses all for $10 and a really beautiful Mugo Pine pricey but a real bargain.
Those are nice pics Lovs,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, dear. He put up temporary braces and took out the studs of the wall we are removing. Header is next.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images