4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 3

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Major work going on at your house.
Loves, I have to laugh at your yellow jeep. This past weekend GS taught us a new traveling game. When you see a yellow vehicle you yell skittles, (school buses and heavy equipment don't count), Yellow vehicles are worth 1 point, ambulances (any color) are 10 points and when you see a police car you yell jail break and everyone but you looses their points. We had a great time driving up from the Orchid Show in Md.
The shelves are up, I think they are just what I need. I already have a few things on them.
Here is our winnings from the Garden Show. Calling it a wheelbarrow was an insult, this thing is a garden cart. You can use the handle or hook it up to the garden tractor and it dumps, too. It was filled with 2 cases of bottled water, bird feeder with 25lb bag of seed, humming bird feeder with bottle of food, a weather station temp and rain gauge, garden seat, long handled loppers, adjustable folding rake, kneeling pad, hand tools, and hand soap. Cart and all I'm thinking about $500 worth of stuff plus the $300 Landscape gift card. I seriously can't remember the last time we won anything of real value. Maybe I should go by a lottery ticket. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool beans!!!

Newark, DE

LOL Holly, you know I was just kidding you about getting a wiggle on. You put me to shame girl! I am happy you got to go to the flower show and even happier you were the winner. I am soooo jealous of that cart too! I need something like that myself.

Funny about the Jeep and Skittles. Dave's Harley Davidson is Chrome Yellow too. My truck and motorcycle are bright red. We both feel bright colors are not only happy feeling, but safer. People don't lose them in their sight like most colors do. I live on the corner of 2 VERY busy roads and at any given moment when I look out my window, I can see 50 car/trucks. 99.9% are gray, dark blue, dark green, black, white, silver, champagne, maroon....all just blah. Then you have the cars these days all looking the same like a bunch of turtles. Maybe I am showing my age but once upon a time you could drive down the road, see a car and not only know the make, but the model and year, because they were all different and unique. Not any more. So for all those reasons we like to be different, but also safer. Regardless of the weather, bright red and bright yellow are hard to miss.

Shelves look great and will really be good for use. Love the Camellia and as I said very jealous of that cart! Enjoy it all and I know you will make good use of everything.

Sounds like things are moving along for you too Jan! Awesome!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loves, there will be a spring plant swap May 9th. It's in Vienna, VA. far for you I know but I would love to see you again.

Newark, DE

Wow - over a month and no posts from anyone.... including me....I can only assume y'all have been as busy as I have been and hopefully no bad stuff going on.

Thanks Holly for the invite to the spring plant swap. Yes it is a bit of a trek for me, then to spend some time there, and drive back too? Probably a bit much, so I am going to pass. Yes I would love to see you again too. I was out this last week cleaning the flower beds and thought of you as the plants you gave me are really coming on. I have "Holly plants" in my front yard and back yard. LOL So I think of you often when I see them.

Speaking of that - I was out on every sunny day we've had the last couple weeks (which has only been about half) working in the yard. Unfortunately, I didn't get the leaves mowed/mulched after they fell last fall, and so I had more work this spring. I picked up all the bigger limbs that fell from all the trees first. Then I commenced the raking of all the nasty, thorny, balls from the gum trees and smaller branches too. That was all made worse because everything was entangled in the leaves! What a pain! I could have used your cart Holly! LOL Instead, I raked it onto a tarp. I would then drag it to the neighboring small patch of woods and dump. I probably had at least a dozen tarps full/trips. My back was not happy. I have been doing that with all the yard waste for years and it composts down over the winter. Only thing left is the larger limbs and they are slowly disappearing. I cut back some tree branches and some brush that is creeping up on the mown areas. I actually mow some of the state's property beside me to make it more open and keep the brush from getting to my driveway. I keep it all cut back 15 feet to where the brush line is. With it all cleaned up, I was then able to mow and trim it all on Sunday. I got that done just hours before another big rain. Mixture of heavy rains and patches of sun in the last 3 days and it looks like the grass has grown 3 inches! Ugh!

Like I said I got the flower beds cleared too and everything is coming in nicely. I have some things blooming already which does bring a smile.

As for decrappifying....well between trying to recuperate from yard work and the aches and pains from just the rain, not a lot has gotten done there... BUT I did do some things. A friend of mine is tight on money with 4 kids and so she was interested in clothes. I had been putting bags in my truck (that has a cover) for her for some time. I took her to lunch a few weeks ago and unloaded it all into her car. She was thrilled. She found a lot of things for her and her kids they could wear and loved. The rest she is taking either to the battered women's shelter or a Christian resale shop that uses profit to feed homeless in the area. Hey - all to a good home/use and out of here!!! I have 2 more bags gathered for her since then and in my truck, too.

I am continuing the mantra I started January 2014 this year - "money in...crap out..." too. I have still been selling items on eBay like I did last year. I've not been as aggressive at listing as I was, but still have sold another thousand dollars worth of stuff since 1/1/15. So yeah that is all gone too and more in Mr. Piggy. Slowly it's leaving, but it IS leaving.

I have a lot more books I am finished with since I last got rid of them. I sold some on eBay but only the older, less common ones. I think I will be boxing up a few boxes of the best seller, modern kind and take them to 2nd & Charles for them to buy. I'll take store credit because that is double, but I doubt I will bring home many, if any, more books. I might use some of the credit for CD's instead which I do still play. Not sure, but the credit never expires. Right now I just want things out of here.

Anyway, that about covers things here for me except for taking care of and running many family members to doctors and elsewhere. That is an 'all the time' thing for me. I hope this finds all of you well and enjoying (chores and all) the spring weather. Rosie I hope your brother has continued to improve. You've been in my thoughts and prayers and I apologize for not posting and asking sooner.

Much love girls!
Debbie

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Crazy here!!! Babysitting every morning for a grandy. Hard to get outside for any length of time with him, but, now that the weather is getting better, it is easier.

I'm not going to the swap either, Debbie. Babysitting that day. I'm really bummed about missing it.

Things are progressing with the renovation here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are off on a trip having a great time we will be gone 3 weeks till it is all finished with the traveling and all. I will have a ton of yard work to do when we get home.
I was so very happy this Spring that I could actually get out in the garden this year and clean the flower beds. I am not like before the injury when I could just go from one job on to the next and the next. But that is OK for now the fact that I could get out there and actually do the work, even if it took longer and I needed breaks and that I hurt really badly the next day didn't matter. I could do it and it was getting done. I am sure that I will have a lot to catch up on when I get home but I got a really good head start before I left.
Loves, sounds like you are doing a great job of getting things under control and making some really good headway as well as making a few $$. Good for you.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Jeeze... Lost what I typed

Cleaned flower beds...grew rocks over winter ....lots LOTS of nuts AND weeds this spring
Way behind because of taking care of family needs and ignoring the garden last fall

Strung lights on screened porch COSTCO had great sale outdoor lights
Not real thrilled ---too many lights or maybe need a more random hanging plan

Babysitting for Bella 2.5 years old ---PRAY for me. ---whew
Volunteering at school helping in kindergarten and in art and also helping with reading instruction for kids who have English in home as second language

Put in a few veggies ( we've been having hail storms ) squash, tomato, pepper, green beans.basil and zinnia.

Some indoor spring cleaning

Lots of cooking

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Your lights look great, love the area in front with your SeaDragon?
Sounds like you are really busy.

You know Holly...what KEEPS me busy nowadays is NOTHING in comparison to what I used to do AND work AND with kids....... something happened........ 😳

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Tell me about it. LOL
I watch my one daughter juggle her schedule, teaching, 2 young children with their schedules, taking her masters, soccer coach, sunday school teacher and running marathons and wonder how does she do it all and then I think back to my life, 4 kids with their schedules, barn full of animals,PTA,boyscouts, soccer, 4H, full time job yeah somehow we all did seem to be able to do it all. Now any one productive thing is an accomplishment.

Yeah....

My daughter similar ... with full time work, baseball, soccer, gymnastics for two. A toddler. A big house, a husband that gets deployed, manages the endless snow in PA., takes care of a rental, does the books for a quarry... No school that I know of beyond her degree but her analyst job requires constant education.. And she had that toddler at 40!

I think that I used to rise to every occasion....

And now I stretch the time and effort to fill the need.

Newark, DE

Great to hear from y'all!

Jan - glad to hear the renovation is progressing well. I can only imagine the grandkids and babysitting. My stepson is married and has a stepdaughter, but she is almost 13 and so little babysitting is needed and when it is, it is with her mother's mother. It's a blessing and a curse, I suppose. Sorry you won't make the swap, but family is more important, by far!

Holly - Lucky you! A vacation trip! Dave and I used to go somewhere almost every year but haven't been anywhere since 2004. I REALLY miss it! Neither of us could handle a trip via motorcycle like we used to do, but I'd be happy to go in my truck or his Jeep.....somewhere! Happy you are coming along well and able to do more. I am surprised how well the shattered wrist that is plated, pinned and screwed together has improved. It hurts often but the range of motion is like 99% and the strength is very good and still improving. I opted not to have the ACL replacement surgery after seriously reinjuring the knee, since I had lived with it for so long before. I did what I did when it was torn and just built the muscles around it. I have to watch my footing closer but for the most part it too is getting stronger. My back on the other hand continues to worsen. Like you, I can only do so much and then have to stop. But also like you, I am thankful I am able to still DO.

Rosie - what a lovely screened porch! I like the lights, but I can see too where it could be too bright at times. Have you considered 2 lighting systems? You could string some white Christmas lights up too. They are smaller and dimmer. When you want "mood" lighting, plug them in, when you are dining or have guests out there, plug in the bright ones. Another thought and what I would do, is to pick up a dimmer switch for it. That way you can use the string you have and then the rheostat will allow adjustment to the brightness you want. Simple fix and you can get them that are external so you don't have to change a main switch too. I do love your dragon! I told you before I am jealous over him! So cool!

I agree with you that the aging thing makes for slower work. I remember all I used to do and it makes me tired just thinking about it. LOL Of course growing older has it's advantages - the alternative REALLY sucks. As long as I wake up on this side of the grass - it's a good day!

Have a good one....off to another dreaded chore the dentist.....YUK

I am not sure these can go on a dimmer. I will check but it isn't so much the brightness as it is the uniformity...and those black wires during the day... Too much. If the lines strung around the perimeter, I think would be better asthetically.

Newark, DE

Hmmm? I would think they would but???

I see what you are saying about the wires. The only thing that could help there is if they were pulled closer to the wood beams and maybe painted brown, or as you say around the perimeter. Uniformity looks pretty even to me especially from the outside. The inside photo is only a portion but I see the pattern you were going for. It's just the wires....

Good news from the dreaded dentist - no cavities!!! Yay!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I always thought the idea of those type of lights were to swag them back and forth from one side to the other. But then that is just how I've seen them used in Olive Garden. LOL

Yes Holly exactly. The swag looks good (even swagged unevenly) ( I have seen the lights stranded through trees high and low depending on the most convenient limb crotch.... The thing is they need wide open endless spaces above...tree canopy.....blue skies during the day and dark velvet sky at night. The height and vastness make the wires disappear.. These are in an enclosed screened porch with cedar tongue and groove ceilings. Toooooooo much. no matter the precision of design or a random design... It is too enclosed for center stranding... But I will let my fella knock himself out -- he clearly has a "vision" 😝😳

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes I see exactly what you mean. All that wire against the solid ceiling is the issue.
So we are staying at a very nice resort here in Fl. with maid service daily so the room is nice neat and well cared for but our patio is getting pretty cluttered. So far I have collected 3 tropical Hibiscus, a black coral EE, 2 crotons, Red Sheild Hib, kangroo fern, tri colored strumenti, and an aloe.

Is it pretty there ? Cool? how you gonna get that all home? How will you keep tropicals?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, it really is pretty here, we went to an Oyster Festival today. Great food and some good music. Stopped by the nursery after the festival. We actually planed to pick up some plants so we put Josh's car top carrier on the car with the thought that if we found good plants we could put our things in the carrier and put the plants in the back of the Outback to bring them home. Come fall we will have to make room for them in the GH or the house. I have been mixing up my days between the beach and exploring. We have visited several state and local parks, a wildlife refuge, eco boating trip to see dolphins and birds. Two different public gardens.

Sounds wonderful. I just finished a book A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith
A wonderful 'visual' of the early settling of Florida..the rich wildlife and fauna. The challenges of surviving in the swamp..cattle rounding up and herding...battling nature..storms..fires...the wildlife. Written as a sort of historical family saga... Very rich in detail. Highly recommend it. Never heard of a custard apple forest....the vines growing so tight and thick scrambling over the tops of the trees that the Indians could climb to the tops of the trees over the vines -- like a tight tarp.. and run from tree to tree over the tall tops, seeing for miles across the swamp.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I read a book like that years ago can't remember the name but it was about a family that moved south into Fl. around the civil war and described how they lived driving wild cattle across Fl. it was very very interesting.

Newark, DE

Oh Holly.... sounds so nice.....vacation, fun and interesting stuff AND maid service!!! That's another downer about coming home - not only is there work to do, but then you also have to do all the "maid service" yourself.....yuk! LOL Glad you are having a good time as well as finding new treasures! Be safe on your drive home.

The books you gals mentioned seem interesting. I might look for them. I came across 4-5 books at a resale shop a few months ago, not about FL, but all about Hawaii and the Huna heritage, beliefs and customs. Of course, like in the US, the elder beliefs were condemned and altered once explorers/settlers arrived, so today it is not known by many, even on the islands themselves. I dug them out the other day to read. I am almost finished with the first one I picked up. It is called Kahuna Healing by Serge King. I find it fascinating how the Huna, which is Polynesian, is very close to the Native American beliefs too. Of course, many say they migrated from Mu (Lemuria) that was in the Pacific, like Atlantis in the Atlantic. Makes you wonder.....very interesting stuff....

One bit of good news....I've lost some weight, so yesterday and went shopping for jeans since the ones I was wearing could (with little effort) slide off my hips... Not a pretty sight if that had happened in public!!! I was happy to find that I am 2 sizes smaller than I was - not just 1. Yay!!! I have more to go but at least I am moving in the right direction. I only bought a couple pair because I have hopes of losing more weight. No point in buying bunches only to have to cull them to give away. Debbie must learn not to buy excess! That is why I have so much to get rid of now. Not going back down that road.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loves, Congrats on the weight loss how great. I on the other hand gained 12 lbs since last years injury. A result from the steroid injections and being less active. I am expecting to loose that over this summer and hope not to see those numbers again.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great, loves!! I must have picked up some that you lost. Thanks. Just kidding. But, I did put on a few over the winter.

Congrats x 2
One for each size you went down.

If you are looking for your extra pounds lost ......look no further....alive and well in NC!

Holly that is the book. A Land Remembered is not a new book and surely there can't be two so similar. I read it years ago too...and now back as Kindle Book -- never thought I would see that ...now ....if The Ice People would go Kindle.... That would be great!

This message was edited Apr 26, 2015 6:49 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, That is the book. I looked it up and could tell from the description that was the one. It was the only book that I ever read that was about Fl. in that period. I just could never remember the name of it, a really great read.

So rich in detail. My first go round ( younger ) it was all about the story but this time - it was the Everglades and the life within it that was so wonderful to read about

Newark, DE

Thanks girls. Although I was overweight to start with, after my reinjured knee and shattered wrist, I put on more weight too. So I understand Holly. I passed on the steroid injections though because I know they add weight that takes longer to get rid of than inactivity weight. Still ....12 pounds is not bad and I am sure you'll knock them off. I'd like to lose another 40 - heck maybe 50, so by no means is my struggle over. It is encouraging though to reach a new level.

Anyway, Rosie, I went looking for The Ice People because I was intrigued by the title. I found 2, by different authors, one of an ancient civilization and the other of the future. Both sound interesting to me and I haven't read either one! When books are not on Kindle yet as many older ones are not, you can sometimes find them as a free pdf download. It's not the same I know, but it would be on a PC or laptop and if your tablet has the app - it will work that way. If you only have a Kindle Fire (or whatever - sorry not that familiar) they may not allow more apps to enable reading via pdf, but I think regular tablets do. Just a thought you might want to explore.... Also - I don't know about there, but here, you can digitally borrow books from the library for up to 4 weeks. You can "return" it sooner, but if you don't, you just loose access to it after 4 weeks.

I have way too many books as it is. Before, I would buy them at resale shops, yard sales etc., for cheap and read when I could. For books in series, it might take a while to find them all. Bummer.... I wouldn't start the series until I had them all. Now with the digital library thingy, I can read what I have, get the missing one from the library without physically going there and then continue on with what I own. I have been able to clear out more books that way. Yay!

Oh and I don't know if I shared this before or not, but this site is way cool for readers! I like it because it lists all the books written by authors in chronological order but it also groups them together if they are a part of a series, even if the book could be read as a stand alone. You may want to bookmark it, I know I go there often.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately I couldn't really pass on the steroid injections. They were the only thing that got me up and walking, last year. I was pretty much bedridden till my first injection. On the other hand walked 1.4 miles on the beach this morning. I deceided to walk up the beach till I got tired and called Ric to pick me up rather than to figure how far I might want to walk. Worked great, found a good size star fish and saw dolphins, lots of interesting birds. Easy walking on the beach it is solid and flat enough near the water line, soft on the feet and level.

This is about an ancient civilization IN THE FUTURE, 😊

French writer.

multinational scientific exploration team....finds a sphere under the ice... Never before encountered metal skin...... they get in........

Wonderful Love story....

Holly, your vacation sounds so restful and great idea to phone Rick for the one way ride.

Newark, DE

Ewww...Holly! Can't blame you there hon... You gotta do what ya gotta do! Sorry to hear it was that bad but equally as happy to hear that the injections helped. Several people I know have had them to no avail, or; if they helped, then within a couple weeks they were right back where they were. Of course, if you need the couple weeks even then it is worth it. I am happy it seems to have done even more for you....it gives me hope that should mine get worse and I have no choice - I can remember you instead of the others. Great news! Smart thinking on the walk too. Why walk the same stretch twice, when you can go farther and have Ric pick you up? Cool! Hope you got pics of the starfish, birds and dolphins. They'd be nice framed and in your ocean blue room you painted. 😊

Rosie - yes the French one was the first I found and looked very interesting! The other one didn't sound bad either but now you really have me interested. Had I read "love story" I might not have been interested but with the Sci-Fi twist - yep, I am there. That reminds me, I don't think I mentioned it before but I watched a really awesome movie a couple weeks ago by accident. LOL It was a free premium channel weekend and they were showing some newer movies. One came on that was billed as 'romance' and so I never would have watched normally, but I was busy at something, didn't get the channel changed and before too long was hooked. It was a beautiful love story but also, mystery, myth, fantasy and more. If you get the chance and have not seen it - catch "Winter's Tale" (2014). Great one!

I read it!
Didn't know a movie.

have you seen enemy mine? (0ld)

It's a love story...but no romance. science fiction but rich in history.
Feel good but weep

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I really liked Enemy Mine. I do like Sci-Fi and it sure had a different twist.
Glad to be home the gardens really welcomed me. All focus is on outside and it isn't taking long for the house to start getting messy. Oh well, it is spring and I will worry about the house come Fall. LOL

You got your priorities right!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Amen, sista!!!!

Newark, DE

Here is the movie's trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSj1MKwx6A

And IMDB data -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709/

Yes I saw Enemy Mine when it first came out. I liked it a lot and it did have a different twist. I have always enjoyed Sci-Fi since I was a kid. Starting at age 5, I started having feature length dreams that would have been great movies. In fact, in years to come I saw some of those dream ideas in movies. Had I only know to write them down..... then.....

It is still about the best thing going for movies and TV, IMO.

Not a big sci-fii fan. But I didn't think Enemy Mine was that. 😊
When the lizard begin singing his lineage....I just fell in love with it all.

Of course my best best best book (s) was Dune.
Any person working in the Middle East... Functioning in Itelligence, in the military, thrying to understand the culture should be reading Dune. Frank Herbert was a visionary. The environmental impact to a people... the importance of a singular commodity... Everything he wrote about in his fiction is coming to pass. And those women!!! WOW. So empowering.

Can you tell I loved it?? 😝.

Newark, DE

Yes I can and so did I. The entire Dune series was good. I agree Frank Herbert was a visionary but the same could be said by so many. Heck, just think about H.G. Wells! But Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, H.P. Lovecraft....in modern times there is Arthur C. Clarke. In the 70's he talked about satellites that would allow you to walk around with a "communication device" - hmmm can we say cell phone? More often than not -science fiction does become science fact.

Love it!

Yes. You are right. All had foresight.

The thing about Dune is that the protagonists ...the people trying to protect their culture, way of life, traditions, resources...the people the reader identified with and pulled for ....certainly didn't feel like the enemy.

The first time
I heard the word jihad...it was in Dune. The Arabic names. The tribal systems. The justice thru retribution. The veiled women...the sexes separated by custom and mystery.... I wonder how I could have identified with their cause and methods when now...in the reality of these times...it feels barbaric, foreign, and fearful threatening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.