4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 3

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No it isn't just garden related,I sure wish it was. I did get a little relief from the treatment today.
I would love a King size bed but the room we are using is the smallest in the house. It is a nice little room on the 1st floor the other 1st floor room is the Ocean theme Grands room. The largest bedroom that we had been using is on the 2nd floor. I would love to remodel that and put a king size bed up there but that would put us back up on the second floor and we really like living all on one floor.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes me too. Our current bedroom on first floor. We have a loft on second and an attic - that's it. John watches TV up there. Other houses have had master bedroom upstairs and can't imagine wanting to go back to that. ESPECIALLY since no toilet up there!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes, Not even thinking about remodeling the upstairs bedroom until the 2nd floor bath is redone. That won't happen until the Kitchen remodel is paid for. I have a 2 year interest free loan on that.So another year before it will be paid off. The room upstairs is really large plenty of room for a king size bed and a sitting area huge closet and a shelf for a TV, I love watching TV in bed, bad me. LOL only bad point is the stairs and I think that is probably enough to keep me from returning to the big room upstairs.

Isn't it funny how lives track.
We like to think we are unique, but life's twists and turns are so similar.
We are paying off the bath remodel before we add a garage ( I don't think we NEEED a garage but...this is the first house we have not had one and the cars do get junky in the woods ) We could use a bigger storage shed. My potting shed has been invaded by non potting things.

I didn't know there is such a beast as an interest free loan...why ever would the loaner -- loan?? We got a home equity line for the bath --- burned the mortgage papers and remodeled the bath the same month! Hahahaha just too scared to be without a bill. I always said " we will be dead before the bills paid " and so maybe a form of protection!

Now my sicilian father said "you will always be young with a baby in the house " and HE HAD 14!! He shoulda gone down the remodel path. 😳😝

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We ordered our Kitchen from Home Depot they do an interest free loan. A lot of stores have them as a way of getting you to buy from them. My paypal acct also has a 6 mo interest free on any purchases over $100. You really need to watch the loans if you misjudge you will be paying big $$ in interest on the full amt from the beginning of the loan. So far I have never gotten burnt but I am very careful with them.

Newark, DE

Holly - so sorry to hear of more back problems. I wish you well in your plan to address it. If I were you, I'd do all the things you mentioned to try to get better then do NOTHING beyond daily care of self until the trip. I have wanted to go to Alaska all my life and I'll be 61 in December, so it would be a once in a lifetime dream for me. I sure wouldn't want anything to disrupt it. The garden weeds, nor housework is worth messing that up! Get fixed, rest well and prepare for the trip with the least amount of work from you. Then enjoy the trip before surgery.

Congrats on the new bed! I have to agree that King is the best but you have to work with your confines too. We finally got one a few years ago and I'd never want to go back. I always flopped a lot and now Dave does too, so a king is perfect. One of us can even get up without waking the other. I can say, that moving from a full to a queen is nice. You wouldn't think 6 inches would make that much difference but it does. If no room for a king, a queen is a good move.

Oh I agree with living on one floor. I thought that in 89 when I bought my house. I already had a torn ACL and wanted no stairs. Hip, neck and back problems later....so glad I have none. That's my requirement if we ever get to move - 1st floor master if not a ranch style. I am not going up and down stairs everyday.

Rosie - I have a suggestion to stretch your bed to go to king. If you have a Full you need to add 22" and if you have a Queen you need to add 16". So watch Craig's List and even eBay (using search for closeness to you) for a wrought iron head board (any size even twin would work). If yours has a footboard too, then you will need a matching headboard/footboard someone is selling. You can check thrift stores, yard sales whatever too - doesn't matter. Okay now, if you can't do so yourself, then find someone who will cut your headboard (& footboard if needed) in half. Have them cut the used wrought iron ones to the needed width from the center of it, so that whatever arch or center design is still there. Now insert that into your headboard/footboard by hole cuts. If your headboard footboard is not thick enough to accommodate the hole cut and not disrupt the finish, then cut the wrought iron narrower to accommodate the use a board on each side that you can cut a hole in. Cut board to headboard thickness or slightly more. Now attach board to both halves of the bed with metal inserted in it. Even if you use pine as the board, or just are able to use the headboard, you may not get the stain to match. If not, you could paint the board (or headboard cuts) black to match the wrought iron and it would look like wrought iron too. If that doesn't make sense, I will draw it, take a picture of the drawing and post it. It seems like an easy fix to me and not that expensive (compared to a new quality bed) even if you had to hire someone to do the cuts/inserts. You'd have a pretty end project - original....one of a kind...all that stuff too. I can envision it being quite lovely. Just be precise with your measurements and cuts.

Total change of subject - I came across another site with free eBooks in all formats, free audio books, free movies, and free courses....

http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks

And an update on the flame azalea - I checked yesterday on my way to work on Dad's porch again... it goes at least 5-6' above the house's eave, so, it is at least 20' high!

Newark, DE

Oops - y'all posted before I got mine done. With several interruptions I took a while....LOL. Yes, there are often ways to get interest free loans, but like Holly said - read the fine print and proceed accordingly. I have several credit cards and always pay them in full each month. I suppose due to that fact, I get many offers from all of them to transfer other balances to them for a year's loan, interest free. So as long as you have good credit they will beg for your business - so USE them and not let them use you! I have done that once or twice in the past for expensive stuff. I buy whatever on one, then transfer the balance to the one offering free interest for a year. In fact, I did that for a Harley. LOL

Funny how our parents sayings stick and do train our thinking. My Dad said never buy anything on credit. Do without until you can pay for it. To be exact; "if you have to sit your a$$ on a peach crate then do so until you can pay cash for a chair". It also why I need so much remodeled.....but hey at least no bills in the interim.

Oh and speaking of credit cards and why I have several - again I use them and MAKE money. How? Easy... I use them to pay everything - power, phone, groceries and of course purchases, then pay them off when the bill arrives. It builds rewards/$$ that way. The thing is to make a cheat sheet so you know which card is paying 5% (sometimes more) at where and use it. I calculated it up a year or so ago and average about $800 free money each year from purchases/bills I have to pay anyway. The Discover and Chase Freedom I also linked to Amazon, so I can use those $ credits there to pay for stuff. Don't remember the last time we actually had to pay for anything from Amazon and we buy often. Oh yeah - there are ways out there for sure, just do some research. They offer - I'll take it.

I have considered doing this on a remodel, but not knowing if we are staying or moving, plus they are jerking Dave around and we have had no checks since 2/20, I won't plan something without a sure plan to pay it off in the time frame. Time will tell there....

Newark, DE

Oh yeah and that site with free eBooks also had links to other places with free ones....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You have got it. When I get better I am going to be very careful of what I do until after the trip.

I do same Debbie..everything goes on credit card and then I use points to travel for free (hotels). I only use a marriott visa because the hotel points priority. Sent the kid to germany and greece with no hotels for wedding gift ( not the fare -- the hotels! ) never could pay mortgage with credit card tho or extended care insurance. That would be sweet. Never keep a balance so it is all for free.

Ah, home depot...I can see that. I thought you meant bank loan Holly.

Debbie I actually thought of that with headboard VERY plain design so would combine well ( thick enough for insert too) but it has a shape that would only lend itself to metal dowels of some sort spanning the needed inches. Really I could toss the middles and just find totally new center insert and keep the cannonballs. But i ain't married to Ric and maybe I would have to fight committment if I suggested an insert or cutting things up!

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL,
Well there will be no surgery for me this Fall. My Ortho guy said I have arthritis in 3 spots and a narrow disk, all above the spondo that is the main problem for my back. So it isn't just the one problem that can be fixed. He said some time in the future when the shots don't work any more I will most likely be coming in for a larger more complicated surgery. So it is pretty much what I have been doing, getting the shots when needed and he said don't wait so long between shots and taking meds for pain when needed. Guess my back is more like Ric's than I thought, his is just a lot worse than mine is now.

That is disheartening.
Now you must try gentle yoga
Learn about foods that are considered inflammatory and those considered anti inflammatory
Use turmeric in food prep or find a quality supplement pill form
Do all you can do to keep your core strong and supple
- and you and Ric can do it together !

it will be ok just different
Grow lots of things raised and in pots

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well now I understand what I am dealing with in the long run.

Newark, DE

Holly - so sorry to hear the news. Sounds similar and trust me I know how it feels. My surgeries will require multiple fusions and rods in lower back and neck. I also have the arthritis from one end to the other. NOT FUN!! Prayers to you girlfriend. Rosie is correct about diet and Turmeric. If you can change your diet to a more alkaline one it will help. Nothing takes it away, but it helps. Sending prayers, love and ((Hugs)) sista is all I can do.

Rosie - I envision something else with your bed now that I have seen pictures. If it were me, I would create an "insert" and install between the cut halves because you're right wrought iron would be "okay" on headboard but not look right on the footboard. So, instead, I'd get 2 pieces of MDF the sizes you need for the width and the height to include the bottom cross piece so it looks like it was made that way. On the MDF I would paint pictures, but you could also do a mosaic with whatever you like best, porcelain dishes you love and never use, colored glass, stones, tile, whatever. The MDF is thinner and you'd have to use the wood "biscuits" (the oval wood pieces) with a biscuit cutter to insert it. It might even be better to put the insert into a wooden frame and then insert that to the bed halves. It would give the MDF more bulk to match the heftiness of the bed. If that doesn't make sense, I can do like I said before and draws pics to post. You could decide about the frame width and get your MDF sizes, make the inserts and have them into the frame you make, before you ever touch the bed parts. Just a thought but I think it would be pretty.

Oh and cool idea for the kid's wedding gift. Sweet! A very nice gift that didn't cost you an arm and a leg. Yep that's the way to do it.

I had not thought about that but you're correct..it would need to be hefty to keep in scale with the big posts

I think nothing I could do would look right on the round turned footboard. Like I said, just pine and I think would be easy enough for a knowledgable woodworker to glue a few 2x6's together and then turn a new longer one one out.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2015 6:07 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Talking about beds, Ric took down our bed and moved it out of the bedroom this afternoon. I'm going to sleep on the recliner and he is sleeping in the Grands room tonight. Kathy is coming tomorrow to clean. I am having her give the bedroom a really good cleaning and then Ric will set up the new Queen size bed.

Which mattress did you choose? There are soooooo many. My sis and a few others swear by that mattress that is mail ordered..if you don't like it can send it right back. Cannot buy in store. I can't think of name. But like an I series Serta with the gel layer, the fluff layer the foam layer...blah blah...but there is a pretty well known mattress review site and the person that runs it has this one.

I have found that as the years have gone by we have gone from the in vogue rock hard to nice and soft!!!

This message was edited Jul 30, 2015 8:17 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We got a 10 inch foam with the cool gel, a box spring and a metal frame. We are going to set it up in front of our full size headboard and see what that looks like. Then decide if we want to buy a queen size bed or headboard. We have been talking about a new bed for quite some time our old mattress is very comfy and I love the antique bed but I really wanted a bigger bed. I just didn't want to spend the $$ on something I didn't actually need but I found the mattress on sale I think it was %60 off on Amazon Prime Day. Then I got really good deals on the boxspring and frame a few days later.

Let us know how you like the mattress. With ortho issues you are a good 'tester'

You are so clever, I bet you can devise a headboard - or design decoration -no sweat.

You know what I saw that was WONDERFUL (attractive and practical) ?

Instead of headboard, --- a crate but not typical depth, size, and no rough wood... Nice smooth (appearing ) wood. - it was a photo so limited on what I could see Maybe 10 inches high and the length of a headboard....8 inches deep ..again a guess. As wide as the mattress side to side. Inside crate books...a alarm clock, photos. On top bare except for matching reading lamps at each end.

On the side of the bed screwed into wall...about 6-7?? inches Off the floor --two dining chairs!! Off floor good for cleaning floors and gave storage room from floor to underside of the chair seat. I saw slippers and a few more books there on floor under the floating chair. On top of chair seat ....a place for your glasses and stuff.... Very plain matching shaker chairs. - Stained same color as the "crate". I thought the ensemble would look great in a spare room painted a red enamel. It was so elegant in that master bedroom tho and created for pennies. And that crate above the bed at height of where the top of a headboard would go - very stable. Screwed in too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been on Pintrest looking at doors and shutters that had been turned into headboards. I have a huge mahogany multi-pane window in the garage that Jamie brought home from a demo of a warehouse. I have been thinking about and I have quite a few wildflower prints that I haven't done anything with.

Newark, DE

Wow - Holly, sounds like you are making progress. Way to go! Yes, do let us know how that mattress works out. It sounds comfy and I like the sound of the cool gel part! I am always hot, even with the AC, overhead fan and only a sheet over me.

I was going to suggest you check out Pinterest because of all the great ideas on there, until I got to that post and you said you had done so. LOL I love your idea - especially since you already have it!!! I have seen some of those multi-pane windows (and doors) done like you said as a headboard and they are gorgeous. I also saw them used in an entrance way, horizontal too but in the upper half of the wall, with family pics behind the glass, hooks along the bottom for jackets etc.

You'll have to take before, during and after pics to post here and on the Trash to Treasure forum. I can only imagine, being mahogany, how absolutely lovely it will be! Oh and something I saw recently (probably on Pinterest) would work if you do not have enough prints - someone used dried flowers between 2 pieces of glass bought at the dollar store, then used white duct tape along edges to create a frame look. If you are anything like me, you have enough prints, but if not - then you could intersperse the real thing in a few panes with glass behind them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So many great ideas. I have a whole folder of prints, I need to get them out and look at them again. I have some shutters in the garage that could be used as well.

Newark, DE

Just had to share the news....yesterday I FINALLY finished everything on Dad's porch!! I even cleaned the new windows from the fingerprints of installation. It looks so nice out there, even Dad was impressed - and that ain't easy! LOL

I will have a little time to recuperate - but I already know I have more to do.....the friend/contractor let Dad know the house windows Dad was considering were on sale and so...you guessed it....he ordered new windows for the house. Dad doesn't smoke in the house so it won't be like the porch, but still stuff to move, curtains to take down, wash and rehang once the new windows are in and whatever else Dad wants done in EVERY room. The porch is amazing though, considering what it did look like. I have to laugh too because as Dad realized just how nasty the smoke made everything, he bought a fan to blow the smoke out and he sits right in front of it to smoke. It nicely fits in the window is lightweight and easy to remove when he is done. He just sets it in the floor and closes the window. Maybe it will stay cleaner for longer....

Anyway - felt like shouting from the rooftop the porch was done but would have had to climb up there and back down....so here I am.....Yay me!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What a great sense of accomplishment when you finish something and it looks so good.
I know you have worked very hard on this.

Glad you got that behind you and your dad must feel like a prince ensconced in there!

Holly, I saw one of those old paned windows with ....well....I don't know......some kind of paper decoupaged onto the glass....thin....translucent......tissue paper?? With a floral print..like you would see in a formal book off flower prints. Not cutesy like you might find in a wrapped present.

It was stunning BUT it was hung in a bright window and maybe the light behind is what gave it that watery ethereal presence. I had forgotten about that. Always meant to try a single pane for myself.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2015 3:06 PM

Newark, DE

Rosie - what a cool idea! Sort of like a sun-catcher on a bigger scale and more elegant too. I like the idea! You could do that with any subject because you can find prints on the internet of just about anything, just print them to thin paper. Heck, you could use teddy bears for a baby's room, dinosaurs for a boy - whatever and hang in front of their window Cheap, different and easily changed to another subject. Remember "onion paper" for making copies? That would be excellent to work with and achieve the look you spoke of. Hmmm....could always pick up some document size frames that fit paper at the dollar store and use the glass from them to experiment on before attempting something you really want.

You know, whether on a separate pane or your actually window, it would be a pretty alternative to a bathroom window instead of that cheap film I have seen for sale that makes it look frosted. It would allow light in but not see-thru, you could use regular paper if you wanted it a bit more opaque too.

Combining the two ideas....Holly, you could try a piece of cheap glass on a print you were not that fond of to see, but if you liked the out come, you could decoupage the prints to the back side of the panes of the window, rather then mounting with a back, build a box frame on the back side of the window and put lights behind them, mounted to the frame. I wouldn't mount lights where they could be seen through the panes. Instead, I would go for the top shining down (or possibly top and bottom if you wanted brighter). Nothing too bright for sure, but like a strip of those little LED's - just enough to add a little light behind them and small to fit inside the frame, unseen, then turn them off when time to go to sleep. Personally, I REALLY like that idea.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great ideas, Well I am happy to say that I slept in the new bed last night and found it very comfortable. The old headboard from the full size bed looks just fine with the new queen size matteress. So I can use that headboard for the time being, but I did like those ideas and maybe sometime in the future I may want to try one of them.

So glad the mattress and headboard worked!

One down...two down.....now you got to use that window for something else!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2015 8:49 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes I do. LOL

Newark, DE

Awesome deal! Yeah, a queen is only 6 inches wider than a full so a headboard could be just fine, and glad yours works. No rush to get something done if it works. If you still want something different, at least you can take your time to do what you really want, though I do like the window idea. If you choose to do that you can do so when you feel better.

Even if not as a headboard, it would be lovely as a wall hanging....or...I had another thought...(you know me; always full of ideas ...or full of something anyway LOL ) ....wouldn't it make a pretty hinged "door" on a bookshelf the same size, making a decorative pantry cabinet or whatever else you wanted to store on the shelves? I do! I can just see it in the kitchen filled with my jars of herbs and teas and yeah, I think I would still build a frame and add lights. It would serve as a night light the kitchen too...Geez, Holly, now I want to start looking for a window or one of those multi pane doors that have the panes the full length would even be better to do that to, for myself. Wow it's gorgeous in my mind, anyway. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are great ideas. Good luck in your search.

The best use for an old window that I have seen (and I know you two have also) is overhead, hanging by two big ole thick galvanized chains between beams as a room divider or outside doing the same duty as entrance to a garden space. A nursery we used to go to did that and would put messages on the window in colors markers....poetry, holiday greeting art...advertise sale prices, ...draw flowers and veggies, I guess when no longer pertinent the messages were exchanged for new

Newark, DE

Thanks Holly.

Yes, Rosie I have seen them used that way. I have also seen them hung on the ends of porches for privacy when people have small lots and close neighbors. I have even seen them painted with glass paint too, either as a scene or made to look like a stained window. Over on Trash to Treasure forum was someone (Betty something, I think) that had done some... I'll go look and try to find it and post here if I do.

Seems to me, I saw just a plain window used as a pot hanger somewhere too....don't think that was on Dave's though

Newark, DE

Not the person or post I remember but I did see this forum about old windows

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/606918/

Newark, DE

Okay - I found the site where I saw a window used as a pot hanger. This link is to the "windows"page. Lotsa neat stuff here - and go to the main page, scroll down to the black "file tabs" for ideas in other subjects like doors, shutters...and MORE!

http://www.robomargo.com/windows.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting site, going to bookmark that one. Thanks

Newark, DE

No problem. I like it too and saw a couple good ideas I may do.

Oh and the DG poster of that painted glass was Bettypauze. I checked the posts she started and it is not there. It must have been on someone else's she posted to, but it has been so long since I saw it, I can't remember where it was. If I come across it again by chance I will post a link here cause it was "purdy"....She has done some beautiful things, a very talented artist in many venues.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That was an interesting site. I can tell that I could get LOST in it for hours.

Newark, DE

Yeah Jan, me too. I was searching Trash to Treasure when Dave had back surgery for something to occupy my mind while in the surgical waiting room for about 10 hours. I found that site and Dave's in my search and trust me - I had LOTS to choose from. Of course then I started hanging out here and found new friends too! How cool is that!

Can Dmail BettyP if it starts to drive you nuts!!
At the very least effort for her, if she still,hasn't can get a photo. I know if I tried to search my posts back all these many years looking for a specific something, it would take me a week and midway I will have got off track and would have to start over (the joys of ADD and old age!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.