Perennial fertilizing.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I know that a lot of bulbs should be fertilized in the fall, especially next springs bulbs. But what about hostas, bee balm, begonias, trollius, daylilies, Iris, lilies including spider lilies. More later.
I feel most gardening books and even DG gives little information on fertilizer except Ph.....Betty

Hobart, IN

I think it depends on what type of fertilizer is used. Not sure that any water-soluble variety is good right now since perennials aren't going to grow that much over winter. But if I'm transplanting perennials in the fall, I do add dry organic fertilizers to the planting hole, especially for Astilbes who love fertilizer. I might water in transplants with seaweed solution if I think of it.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I use organic cow manure (Black Cow) and bone meal when i first plant plants here. I also use some lime as our soil is acid. But i need to know which ones need intermittent fertilization throughout the season.

Hobart, IN

Our zones might be too different for me to guess since I wouldn't use much nitrogen going into winter here. Adding bone meal might get a chance to work over winter into the soil and the roots for you.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't fertilize anything after the beginning of August here in zone 6. I don't want to encourage growth before winter. But then I never fertilize beyond compost and occasional fish emulsion/seaweed in spring and early summer.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I use Plantone in the fall. It's slow acting, so doesn't prevent plants from getting ready for dormancy. In the spring I use manure and/or compost on everything, and Osmacote on the annuals.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This is really interesting. I use the same products many of you use, and with the same timing.

I rely on compost in the fall, along with Milorganite, especially for trees. It's very low in nitrogen, and it has a repellent effect on pests. My roses get heaped with compost in winter, which protects them from nibblers and starts to break down in spring to help with fertilization.

In spring I use compost, organic fertilizers for many things (I am an Espoma fan and use several of their products, and Pam I see you are too) and add Osmocote, which doesn't start working until it reaches 70 degrees, which is great for roses. I also use all season oil to eliminate overwintering pests and sulphur as a preventative against mildew and blackspot.

And once a month, until the start of fall, I use seaweed or fish emulsion.

And everything stops around the end of August, so that new and tender growth isn't stimulated in fall.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

this has me confused!!
Are y'all talking about fertilizing bulbs in their SECOND fall??
Becausae I just finished (well, in two days) planting aall my fall bvulbs. . with a layer of slow-releasde Bu;bn & Bloom food (1-10-10) as directed, working it into the soil.
Do I need to fertilize again this fall??>

(and yes, I know my typing is bad: I am NOT a typist!! LOL)

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I would think that's enough for this year! Already more than I do. Don't worry, your bulbs should be quite happy with what you've already given them.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No, you do not.

I'm sorry. This is my fault. I was talking about plants in general, and wasn't paying enough attention.

For fall bulbs, what you have done is fine. That's what I do. There is nothing else to be done but enjoy your blooms. If you like, when they are finished you can use a little liquid fertilizer IF you want to. Some recommend it. Sometimes I do it, sometimes not. I throw a little liquid fertilizer on bulbs that are staying in the ground. And then in the fall I fertilize the new bulbs, but really, not the old ones.

So you are finished for the year. And Donna really needs to read more carefully!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.