"Indoor Kitchen Gardening"

Hobart, IN

Heard about this book on a recent podcast. Aside from the traditional indoor herbs and lettuces, has anyone tried growing French carrots or radishes indoors under lights? Or any other vegetable?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

2 winters ago I grew Romaine lettuce under lights all winter long. Gene

Hobart, IN

I've only grown the leaf lettuces based on what I had read. The Romaine grew well for you?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it was a smaller variety - Little Gem. Gene

Hobart, IN

Will have to look that one up and see if I can get some asap. Thanks!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gene, I trust you but otherwise I would never believe you can grow anything meaningful under light inside.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have some house plants that do better under lights in the winter than they do outside in the summer. Just a matter of enough light and expense. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Isn't it in Iceland where (geo-thermal) energy is cheap that they grow a large % of their food under lights?

ok, I'll buy that.

I can believe greens like lettuce under lights.

:^)

This message was edited Nov 18, 2014 9:44 PM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Last winter I had more Citrus trees than I do now. Was enjoying 1 to 2 Citrus fruits a week all winter long. Gene

pretty awesome, gasrocks!

Hobart, IN

Are you still growing those limequats?
Got pulled away from all things gardening the past 1 1/2 months but got my gh lights up and running today. Insulation is up and even have my mylar emergency blankets up to bounce light around. Transplanted coleus and holly cuttings today and some Meyer lemon seedlings (to be used for grafting experiment by someone other than me). Now that I'm back on track, I want to do some vegetable experiments. Do seed companies ship this time of year? I usually order after the holidays but I'm about out of any seeds to play with.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I sold, gave away all my older tress. Have plenty of seedling though. Gene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.