My favorite shade flower

(Zone 4b)

Anemone "Honorine Jobert" just glows in dappled shade. This particular specimen is 5 feet tall with flowers and gets very little direct sunlight. It adds so much to our garden late in the season.

From a distance and then up close:

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Natick, MA

How LOVELY! Anemones are definitely on my list!
What are the pink/purple flowers to the left of it!??

(Zone 4b)

Thank you Valal. I have several anemones but I prefer HJ the best. But maybe it is in large part due to its location. Love perennial gardening...often very much a mental exercise as there are so many things to consider.

The pink I think you are seeing is our "Fire and Ice" Hydrangea (or is it "Quick Fire"?)

This message was edited Sep 25, 2014 5:28 PM

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I planted two in our back yard under heavy tree cover 10 years ago and they have not only bloomed well every September since but have multiplied to five plants with absolutely no attention on my part except an occasional weeding.

Natick, MA

Definitely on my list to buy for next year!

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi valal , I have lots of pink Anemones plants which I can send for you in spring or now. My plant self seeded a lot and is willing to share them .

Natick, MA

Cynthia,
I would LOVE that.....spring is great unless you want to get them out of yr garden now! Thx much! Happy to pay postage!

(Zone 4b)

Probably already posted on DG but just a reminder that HJ was awarded "Perennial Plant of the Year" (2016).

This message was edited May 2, 2016 9:21 AM

Natick, MA

I got several pink anemones last summer/fall. HJ is on my list for this year :)

Putnam Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Last year I put in Seranade. The plants were small but had a few nice blooms, until the deer ate them. This year I will focus more on applying deer repellent. But they did not survive the winter. I just ordered replacements and we'll see how they do this year. I had a few casualties, I think from the wide range in temperatures from below freezing to 50's in our region.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A couple interesting plants doing well so far in my predominantly shady woodland.
I am embarrassed to say I entirely missed my helionopsis bloom earlier this spring, but the foliage remains interesting all summer (Helionopsis orientalis Purple Sprite).
The 2nd plant is an odd foliage plant which is a dwarf smilacina (S. stellata Dwarf ex Newfoundland Case). It has never flowered, but I like it amongst my other shade-tolerant foliage plants.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My favorites are helleborus, illicium and camelia.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
(Zone 4b)

UPDATE:

"Honorine" now coming into bloom.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted some Anemone last fall. They are coming up now. Do they usually bloom their first year?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.