Black garlic

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Saw it mentioned on a TV cooking program. Bought some through eBay. Now, I am making my own. Anyone else here a fan? Gene

Hobart, IN

Wow - I had never heard of black garlic and had to look it up. Have never tried (that I know of) but it sounds yummy. Are you doing the dehydrating and aging on your own? Using a dehydrator? Let me know how it goes. We use a lot of garlic here and always have both fresh cloves and a big store-bought jar (yeah - I know it doesn't taste as good but for those times when I'm rushed or lazy). Most meals cooked at home - no frozen entrees unless I'm really tied up with a project.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I watch a lot of cooking programs on TV. Lidia's, etc. Seems 100% of dishes begin with olive oil and garlic! Yes, black garlic is something else. Great in rice, pasta, soups, stews, burgers, eggs, etc. Most people say you can use it after 10 days but 20 days are better. The ones I bought on eBay were 90 days. Wow. Don't ask me too many questions as this is my first effort to convert raw garlic ($4. a Lb.) to black that sells for $30-40. a LB. My first batch is at 18 days so far.at 150F in a sealed crock pot. Have turned them twice so far. Have my fingers crossed. Gene

This message was edited Sep 26, 2014 6:13 PM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2014 12:45 AM

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

There is a man on another cooking forum that I read now and then, that talks quite a bit about black garlic. He also figured out how to make his own, and has described his "set up" on the forum. It's been some time ago, and I don't remember what all he wrote about it, except mainly about how good it is. And is shows up pretty often in his meals he cooks and posts pictures of.

Sounds interesting. .. . .
I thought I'd like to try it until I figured out how expensive it is. Nor did I want to try to follow his instructions on making a whatever you'd call it, to make my own. Now I might reconsider if I knew how to do it in a slow cooker. .. . ..

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I know about this guy and his set-up. Too complicated for my taste (oops, a pun.) You can use a rice cooker that has a keep warm setting. I'm using a small slow cooker that I got at a thrift store. I put an inch of water in it and used my meat thermometer to determine where 150F was on the control dial. Send me your address again (D-mail) and I'll put a bulb of black that I bought in the mail to you. Gene

This message was edited Sep 27, 2014 12:44 AM

Hobart, IN

Gene - are you starting with regular garlic like from a garden or grocery store or does the garlic not have to be dried to start the process?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought some at the local grocery store. Has to be fresh to begin with. I'm using alumin. foil to help seal the lid and keep the juices/smell in the croc pot. I have it on the porch. It will smell up your house if you do this indoors. Gene

Hobart, IN

How long do you have to "cook" it? And how do you store it once it's done? Very intriguing.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Most say a 10 day min. 20 day is better. Some do 30 days. The ones I bought were 90 day. Longer = more intense flavors. I doing my first batch now started 8 SEP. I'll probably let it go 30 days. Start with fresh, unblemished whole bulbs. Gene

This message was edited Sep 27, 2014 1:00 PM

Hobart, IN

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

My 2nd adventure on eBay was selling vintage kitchen appliances. I know how to repair them and Wisconsin is the home for most small kitchen appliance brands. The local thrift stores have lots. I still have a small building full of such. What do you need? Mixers, bowls, grinders, ice crushers, popcorn poppers, bread machines, ice cream machines, blenders, etc. etc. etc. Many people here and in Japan are going nuts over doing a kitchen over in a vintage motif. If my black garlic comes out well, I'll grab some more slow cookers, crock pots and have more than one batch going at a time. Hey, it is something different to do, electric bill can't be too bad and turning a $3-4. a lb. product into one that sells for $30. sounds interesting. Gene

Virginia Beach, VA

I just found this thread and watch the video on how to make it black garlic at home. My issue is how to maintain a low temp on a crock pot. How does it taste and what recipes do you use it for?

There are baked garlic in Asian markets but they are light brown, quite pricey and i use them with my salads.

Belle

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

http://blackgarlic.com/

Many, many mentions at Google

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you, Gene. That's a very kind and generous offer, but I can't take you up on it. One of these days I'll get adventuresome enough to attempt it on my own.
But thank you for the offer!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Went out to my building of vintage appliances and grabbed 7 that might work Am still testing for the right temps. The old classic West Bend brown bean pot was too hot with no temp control I just read that you can also do other similar bulbs such as shallots and onions. Oh boy. Started some onions in another pot. Gene

This message was edited Sep 28, 2014 5:57 PM

Hobart, IN

Wow - can you imagine the French onion soup you could make?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Wonder if one dares to have a pot that is 1/2 onions and 1/2 garlic? Found another pot that will work. Old Rival croc pot, slow cooker that has a low and a high setting. Low will work fine. On the shopping list today is more garlic. Gene

Hobart, IN

The 1/2 and 1/2 - are you talking about soup or the crockpot?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I mean "cooking" some garlic and onions together n the same crock pot. But hey, first things first gotta see how the garlic I am making comes out and the onions I just started. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Again, if anyone wants a sample of black garlic, send me a D-mail with your name and address. I have some I bought off eBay and am about to finish my first batch. Have a total of 2 pots of garlic and one of onions going right now. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not good news, but I am not giving up just yet. Opened up my first batch of garlic and, yes, it is indeed black but hard, not soft like what I bought. Opened up 2nd pot and same thing. My theory at this point is: A - too high of a heat and/or B - not a sealed container so it lost inherent moisture and/or C - you need to start with some liquid in the pot. I do remember reading on line about someone adding beer to begin with. I have no beer in the house so I did not do that. I put all of one dry bulb of black from the first pot into a mini food processor, added some olive oil and butter. Will try it on something later. Might be ok, might not. Put 1/2" of water in that pot and left it running. Stopped 2nd pot. "Shelled" one bulb into separate "cloves." Have them soaking in some red wine in the ref. Might rehydrate? Guess I should not have expected my first attempt at something new to turn out perfectly. Maybe after the Packers game is over I will have the fortitude to check my 3rd pot of onions. Will share any new info when I can. Gene

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

How disappointing! ! !

Do you think you might could grind the hard cloves, maybe in a coffee grinder if you don't have a spice grinder, and use it as a dry seasoning, like garlic or onion powder? Who knows, maybe you have "invented" a brand new seasoning!

I've been doing some online "research" about making black garlic since you started this thread. I gather high humidity is necessary. I remember reading one place where they misted the garlic with beer before sealing the container they were using to ferment it in. But that was only mentioned in one of the articles I read. The others mentioned humidity, but not really many specifics. I think one place said it needs to be something like 98%? Maybe it does need a small amount of water in the bottom, to keep the humidity high enough.

Hopefully your onions will come out better! Keep us posted, please!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Added some water to the pot with onions. They did rehydrate. However, nothing to write home about. I threw them out. Still working on saving the garlic. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Success ! Added some water to the pot (still plugged in) with my first batch of garlic. Waited 3 days and now it is done and exactly like what I bought. Yeah. Seems the secret is hydration. Start with some liquid and check it every few days to see if you need to add more. Even though I added some alumin. foil to the top, I guess my lid does not seal it 100%. OK gonna put 2nd (dry) batch back into a pot with some water and cross my fingers. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Could not save my 2nd dry batch of garlic. Have 2 good batches in the ref. Will try some more in a while. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Just bought 2 (bulbs?) of Elephant Garlic. Will get them started with some liquid later today. Gene

Hobart, IN

Gene - just when you'd given up hope of hearing from me - I finally did a recipe last night to try the black garlic and was quite impressed with it. When I first opened up the head of garlic, the smell reminded me of coffee and it didn't have that fresh garlic "bite". I used about half the head in a light tomato sauce for spaghetti squash. The sauce didn't have any meat in it - just canned tomatoes, a little tomato paste, onions, a little oregano, white beans and some chopped fresh Swiss chard. The sauce had an umami quality to it that I attribute to the garlic as I know from experience that the sauce wouldn't have had that depth of flavor without it. Even DH liked it despite that the meal was plant-based and vegetarian. :)

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

You mention umami and it makes me think about mushrooms. Might have to try black garlic next time I sauté some mushrooms. Gene

Hobart, IN

That sounds like a great one-two punch in the flavor department. Might be good with a great olive oil tossed with pasta.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, did some sautéed white button mushrooms, olive oil, Old Bay (seasoning,) black garlic. Nice. But perhaps do not go by what I say. I am not a fan of, expert with mushrooms in general. Just finished another batch of black elephant garlic. Looks good. Gene

Hobart, IN

I'm not an expert with mushrooms either but know you have to cook the water out of them via a saute pan. Another thing that might be good is using dried mushrooms. I can get a couple of different types here and the broth from the water you soak them in is another great source of that umami flavor. Did you try eating the elephant garlic? I know it's milder to begin with but that's the limit of what I know.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Just finished my best batch, so far. "Brewed" for 2 months. Longer = better. Again, if anyone wants to try some, send me a D-mail. I make it faster than I use it up. Gene

San Antonio, TX

I never seen a black garlic..Is it just like the white one?
`

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

No comparison at all. Gene

Chennai, India

Black Garlic has a similar content of allicin the active ingredient in White Garlic that imparts its benefits but without the odour. Additionally, Black Garlic is rich in amino acids and has almost double the amount of antioxidants when compared to White Garlic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.