Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Australian and NZ Gardens in Spring 2014.

Sydney, Australia

The start of daylight savings ...faded curtains and all those old jokes aside, for most of us it means more gardening time after work.

They say our bodies will adjust if we get out early as possible in the morning Sun and linger longer than usual.
For most of we gardeners that won't be a chore, in fact many of us get out early and come in before it gets too warm. This early morning Sun stimulates good things in our body clocks, allowing a better adjustment to changes in time (so they say).

Here is a new thread for a new time and Month.

What's happening in your Garden ?
The long weekend here means a lot of activity (not always garden related). I am loving the fresh green leaves sprouting from the many fruit trees here, the air is filled with so many fragrant notes it makes you dizzy ^_^ but then the manures and pelleted fertilizers, bring you back down to Earth ...the scents of Spring.

We have come from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1374177/

A few shots from this morning as some of the Brug buds start to wake up ^_^

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Of course by the time everyone drops in those pictures will be from yesterday.

There are so many spider webs every day now, many wasps and various bugs. The spiders rearing up at your exploring fingers looking for 28 spotted ladybirds and little green worms.

The beautiful Dragonflies have arrived, as a child I used to think the fairies rode on their backs, I love them still.

My big heavy gum boots clump around hopefully scaring off any snakes, there have been Crows in angry gangs down the back.

Anyone seen the snakes yet ? Pretty sure they are out there.
We have had some Brown and Red bellied Blacks sighted up the road by neighbours.
They tend to hang around the chicken farms and dams here.

Who else loves Dragonflies ... have yours arrived yet ?

chrissy

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good morning to all ,Beaut day starting here after the fog and the first stomp of the day .
Elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Sydney, Australia

Yes it's that time of the year when those hungry little chompers arrive in droves !
The annual stomp will be well under way ^_^ Elaine. The squishing too.

It was a beautiful dawn this morning ...going to be a stinker (heat wise) so off to water, water water. Lol watch those weeds grow.

How did we all go waking up earlier ? the bedroom turned bright pink in the early light.

Enjoy your Spring Sunday everyone.

chrissy

Christchurch, New Zealand

I moved some pots & found a nest of snails... up in the air they went to come down on the drive way for the birds...

one of the great things about NZ is no snakes & very few bitey insects.

Wasps managed to sneak into the country - I certainly hope they weren't deliberately introduced as we have enough feral critters on that list.
Possums, pigs, rabbits - supposed to be useful but turned out to be so destructive.

West of Brisbane, Australia

No daylight savings here so no problems getting up at the usual time, which is good.
No real twilight here either, so DS wouldn't be as effective as it is further south. (Just means more time spent in the hot hot hot sun.) Snails, snails, snails everywhere I look ...
Here's another pic of the double white showing the inner skirt with an apricot tinge. I had so hoped for a double apricot but this may be the closest this seedling comes to it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That six-pointer is particularly lovely, Chrissy. Hope you get the chance to grow out a few of the dwarf pink seeds too, as they should be interesting.
Look at the first photo. It's cute, right? Now look at the second: the same bloom with the larger one. Guess what ... they're from the same plant. Well, I mean, one is from the original seedling and the other from a cutting of that seedling growing in a different part of the garden. The small bloom is growing in a spot that gets very little water. The large one is growing on the branch overhanging the new bed where I'm constantly hosing something or other. Big difference in bloom size; no difference in the sherbety lemon smell though. Makes sense; if you think about the vegies you grow, those you water regularly tend to set larger fruit than the ones left to struggle on their own. Brugs are no different.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2014 11:32 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Finally, I've been picking mulberries for about two weeks now. They don't all ripen at once, so I can pick a handful or two most days. I find the fruit bland compared to, say, blackberries. But they grow so easily and need no care, although I try to water it once a week to increase the size of the fruit. I keep the tree small by pruning it in once or twice in spring/summer after it finishes fruiting.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

It must be almost magical to have few insects and no snakes wow ! too cold ? no that can't be right can it, my hubby came from a snowy in Winter Italy and they had many snakes. I wonder why, I know there are no snakes in Ireland, that's supposed to be the Miracle of St Patrick, I wonder what miracle produced a snake free NZ.

cestrum that double white that wanted to be a double peach ...maybe in the Autumn.
Heart of Gold takes on a Peachy hue in Autumn so don't give up on that pretty thing yet.

Yes the size differences are interesting ...I find that the blooms seem to get larger with age (the ones that change I mean.). I have also seen some smaller sizes when there is a large flush, but not in all the Cultivars.

The six pointer is on Tintarella ...she throws a few, but not as many as Butter Bomb.(pic) today.

The new little seedling is about 50% 6 pointers so far and all the blooms are tiny.
My Iochroma are starting up ...just a few right now, pretty well beat up by the wind. I find the coral coloured one is bloom shy compared to the smokey lavender but the colour is stunning, it only has one open flower at the moment so no pic lol (looks quite alone), at least not until there are a few open.

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100

Quote from chrissy100 :

Yes the size differences are interesting ...I find that the blooms seem to get larger with age (the ones that change I mean.). I have also seen some smaller sizes when there is a large flush, but not in all the Cultivars.
chrissy

My FFA growing in the shade in a spot that gets a little more water has larger blooms than the original cutting growing out in the open. So perhaps it depends on the brug.

Here is a comparison with knightii (left) and my white double.
Also (PhxSS) x unk is starting to bloom again. It's a small bloom at the starfish stage with a sherbety scent that is not as strong as the mother's.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

They are lovely cestrum ...you are having a great show, way ahead of mine.

It's still mellow yellow here today.
The end of our long weekend draws to a close here.
Hope everyone enjoyed it ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100
Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Cestrum your white double brug is huge and very beautiful. I love your yellow brugs chrissy, it is such a sunny, cheerful colour. It sure has been a hot long weekend and I seem to have spent most of it watering the garden and pots. I went out with a torch at dusk but didn't see any slugs so that was pleasing. The jicama seeds are on their way so growing something I have never encountered before should be interesting. I've been researching how to grow them and it seems they prefer sandy loam and I have mostly clay soil. I have used liquid clay breaker on it and applied plenty of mulch and can only hope it will improve. I trust those of you who work had an enjoyable long weekend (being retired now it doesn't make a lot of difference to me).

Sydney, Australia

Oops, before it's no longer Wednesday ...the winds have been a pain, tearing wrecking and ripping.
I hope everyone enjoyed their day despite that.

Our sky is pitch black right now as we wait for the Blood Moon, no stars,
no nothing ...quite eerie.

Enjoy what's left of the evening ^_^

chrissy

I only got to see the last half of the Blood Moon as it was very cloudy here, I thought we were in for some rain but no such luck, at least it cooled a very hot day down some. Chrissy I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with winds and hope you haven't suffered too much damage.

Clifton Springs, Australia

We had a good view of the blood moon here, not so much blood, more dull orange.
But it was spectacular...
Good luck with all those interesting veggies, Diane.

Sydney, Australia

The BGI Herald is now online for your viewing.

Congratulations to our Aussie contributors and to Dianne for not only her great newly named Brugs but for the wonderful tribute to Lena.
http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/herald/index.html

Well done !

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Looks like you will need to copy and paste that link into your browser, for some reason it does not appear to be working here.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Before the night slips away ...

Yay for Friday !

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

some from yesterday as well as today.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

um ...last one is my first Pomegranate flower ...I grew these these from the seed of a delicious fruit ^_^

Happy Weekend everyone.

chrissy

ahh - so it's not just me...

DG doesn't seem to want to create live links anymore.

you can do the copy paste or highlight the link then right click - it gives a menu that asks 'go to...'

click that & it takes you there.

cheers - teresa

Sydney, Australia

No, Teresa ... Daves Garden is even more frustrating than the dreaded FB right now, I hope they get it sorted out soon, losing patience. FB is free but we pay for these things to work here.
Either that or I am just getting too stupid in my older years LOL.

Anyway on a happy note it's Saturday, that's gotta make us happy.

Have fun everyone !

chrissy

Chrissy- Congratulatons your first Pomegranate flower fingers crossed mine might flower still making leaves I think its 2 years old I dont really remember when I put the 3 seeds in .
Elaine.

Pasted the link to the BGI Herald and so many beautiful new brug cultivars to see and wish for. My congratulations to all of you Aussies responsible and especially to Dianne, also for your heartfelt and touching tribute to Lena.
Chrissy, so many lovely pictures of your brugs, they look like they are really putting on a fantastic show for you, I am green with envy.

Good morning to all Had a week of moving things around now waiting for rain helps for digging the clay if its wet.
Hung the hammock so nice to have a rest in between jobs .

A new project started this morning -making a bigseat really I'm useing a headboard and bottom of a bed .. After looking around it was hard to find a seat the size I wanted and not a run of the mill style so I will have a original .
Tomorrow I will have to buy more wood . This is a pic -- standing out line Whate I am seeing in my mind eye . Elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut Thumbnail by sammut

Elaine - that is a clever idea to use a head board for your seat back.

look forward to seeing how it turns out :)

cheers - Teresa

Hi
Teresa , Long time since we spoke I have not been on much -- done the cut off on the front of the seat . I am dumb sould have put in My Happy Place thread on the move to there.

Chrissy on close inspection this morning I found little red start of a bud.
Elaine.

Sydney, Australia

Hi Teresa caught up with you on the FB link ^_^ thanks for that ! Love your pictures.

Elaine I love your idea. (See your Happy Place thread) ...great to hear you have a Pomegranate bud too, such a pretty colour. My seeds came from a fruit with a purplish coloured skin. My sweet potatoes are growing very quickly now, I am so pleased because I can't always get the old fashioned white sweet potato, to me it tastes like a mix of sweet potato and ordinary potato and is very delish roasted. Both are growing very well, I was worried about the colder night temps here but they are going very well.

Hi Diane ...I am glad you liked the link. I agree with your comments.

My Brugs aren't at their best due to dreadful conditions here, but I am just so happy to see them I don't care if they are pale, torn, or lacy from the munchers. It's the dry winds plus yo yo temps. Even more I am so happy to smell them. ^_^ Nothing compares. Unique.

Mind you my honeysuckle is about to explode and that is a real treat as well, the mandarin blossoms are beautiful right now, love the citrus scents. Some of my Brugs have those delicious notes too.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Just look at that ...they have even removed our smiley face !

Wonder what else we are going to lose ...not happy. (*_*)

Might find one of my own. ◔◡◔

Let's see if they work.

chrissy

Elaine you have some very interesting ideas like your chair it's no wonder your garden has loads of personality.
Chrissy in the pictures of your brugs they look like total perfection to me so that's how I see them. Honeysuckle brings back memories of my garden in Christchurch, I used to love the smell of it. My jasmine polyanthus fills the air with perfume late August - early September but it is over in three weeks and now the Brunfelsia has almost finished too. My mandarin is weighted down with fruit starting to colour up this year for the first time. I bought it as a lemon at Bunnings so you could say I was sold a lemon figuratively. By time I knew it was not a lemon it was too late so it has stayed. A couple of plants that are flowering that I like. My one flowering adenium, a brom flower and an osteospermum I bought from Bunnings for half price because it was damaged that I love the pink and orange colour combination of, it's almost iradescent.

Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63
Sydney, Australia

Lovely pictures Diane, we are Storming away here ...don't know what will be left after it.
Oh well we needed the rain. Hail and wind ...not so much !

This morning.

I am so pleased to see Coral Reef, it was attacked at the roots by something that made a big hole in the ground, right through the roots. A rat ? not sure what but I poked a big stick into the hole then finding it empty I filled it up and hoped for the best, it's looked better within a few days and is now growing well, whew !

Not sure there will be anything to show tomorrow or any time soon by the noises from outside.
Like I said, we need the rain so ...oh well.

Hope everyone is ok where you live and your day has been a good one.

chrissy

Chrissy so glad you were able to rescue Coral Reef so it is growing well again. I hope the wind and hail don't do too much damage. We could desperately do with some rain here too, the 90% chance of rain today has been a no show so far. Maybe tonight - fingers crossed. Spent most of today clearing up prunings trying to get rid of a couple of climbers that have taken over the east fence. They only have large green leaves and can sucker their way up just about anything including the 8' fence. I know I have only got rid of the growth that's showing but not all the roots so it will be back and will be treated to some roundup or the like applied with a paintbrush when it does. I am slowly getting rid of the mock orange blossom bushes that were planted way too close together by someone long before my occupation, they completely blocked out any light to the garden and self seed everywhere. It is time consuming but satisfying to clear that part of the garden out so I can replace the plants with more manageable ones.

It's been raining for a couple of hours, nice steady rain, so pleased, I will be planting out the flower seedlings I've grown from seed tomorrow.

Sydney, Australia

More to come ...lots more here, expecting 100 to 150 mils this arvo if they are right.

Batten down the hatches everyone !

That is a lot of rain, Chrissy. Sadly, only 5mm here from the so-called thunderstorm. They can keep the thunder (and lightning, hail and wind), just give me the rain :-) Your brugs will love it. Even if the blooms get ripped off in the winds, maybe some branches too, they just spurt into growth and bloom after warm-weather rain.
I've solved a mystery of sorts. Noticed lately the sound of something light hitting the windows, like sand ? or something, dropped by a passing bird or one perched on the roof I thought. Until it happened when I was near the window and felt something fall to the floor beside me ... it was the purple shrimp plant. Its seedpods were bursting open to expel the seeds. This explains why I find seedlings germinating a good metre away from the plants growing outdoors ... and also the odd sound inside.
You can see two of the seeds and also the empty seed bracket on the plant itself. Huh; learn something new every day.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

What's funny is that there's a photo of the seeds on DGs here:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/128623/
but that photo actually shows the seedpods or brackets. These split open to expel the seeds inside.

Chrissy how much rain did you end up getting? I don't think we had all that much in Brisbane, forgot to check my rain gauge, will do it in the morning.
cestrum_SE glad you solved your mystery noise. I didn't know there was a purple shrimp plant so I learned something too.

Sydney, Australia

cestrum that reminds me of the time my wisteria pods began to explode in the shed, they sounded like gun shots as they bounced off the walls ...I sure was relieved to see the pods twisting and shooting the seeds off, for a moment I thought the duck shooting Season had come a bit too close (my neighbours shoot at the ducks). Lucky you to have the seeds self seeding, we love that don't we?.

Diane yes ...still raining with more to come, our home actually shook with the thunder claps, the sideways freezing rain ...was window rattling , door slamming, put towels behind the front door type of stuff.

Just popped in to say ...Wednesday is here again ! enjoy of you can. Nothing much to show due to dark sky and damage, but it will be ok.

chrissy

This message was edited Oct 15, 2014 8:25 PM

Glad to see you've come thru OK, Chrissy. That was not the good rainfall I had in mind! If only it would be spread in civilised lots of 20mm twice a week or so, without the winds and hail. It's those cracks of lightning that make my heart almost jump out of my chest, plus the fear that the roof will get ripped off when those winds hit.
Your story about exploding wisteria pods reminded me of when I lived in a block of units with a communal laundry underneath. Woke up with a start one night when one of the neighbour's homemade beer started exploding from the bottles seemingly right under my bedroom ...

Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha I just reread my post, lol, I guess I had better get a new keyboard soon, the letters are worn off this one ...the hand antiseptic I used when caring for my brother took the paint off the letters.
When I am tired or rushing I make too many mistakes.

cestrum the days of exploding Ginger beer when Mum tried a to make a batch of it ! yes.

Well the winds have stopped or eased. Tomorrow may be much better, but who knows, the Weather people are hopeless, never told us about snow ...are miles out about the rainfall. My ants know better than the weather mob.
I hope everyone survived their day.

chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.