Smelly Kitten?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

A friend has taken in her friends stray cat find. The original home was in NY city apt. that did not allow pets. So this kitten was flown to Portland, OR. Lives near downtown in small townhouse. After a week the kitten started smelling . . . saliva esp. If he plays w/ a toy the toy smells. They need to pull out the vacuum cleaner 2x day to clean up smelly hair. Coming home everyday to a smelly home is getting weary. Appt w/ vet in 2 weeks to be neutered so hoping to hold out til then so not more $$ .
Any ideas or suggestions as to cause? I have read online all sorts of causes including kidney failure.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Kidney failure is extremely unlikely in a kitten. Much more likely causes are internal parasites (worms), GI upset due to recent dietary changes, and/or dental issues - all of which the vet should be able to address easily.

Laurie

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hi Laurie! Sometimes the food causes smelly problems. The latest recommendation for feeding cats is canned, grain-free or raw food.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I will pass this info on. thank you. kitty can wait til his appt in 10 days. I will report back.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

What sort of smell, urine spray, feces? A dental infection of some sort? Smelly cat doing better?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am waiting for a report after cat goes to vet for scheduled neutering. I understand it is not urine, or cat spray smell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.