Wintersow 2014-15

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here we go a new wintersowing thread ,
My efforts last year were wanting ,
Did get poppy , elderberry , basil , coneflower , a few ...
This year
White Milkweed
Aster . several types
poppy , oriental
there will be more

Hobart, IN

Saw your pot on the previous thread. I think winter would be a great time to play around making concrete pots. You might want to look into tufa. I did it years back and still have the containers. Here they get covered in moss which is pretty cool.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tuffa is not bad ,, using styrofoam on a couple , going to see if it lasts inside the mortar ,, that pot is really light ,,
I have moss growing everywhere ,,

pots and trays won't dry in garage in winter ,, and a couple would object to me doing so indoors ,, lol ..,,
Today was garden bed . Next years Tomato plants , blocks, 8ft stakes and green garden wire .
Got the stakes set in the blocks in the four corners of the bed ,
I will sow a few whole tomatoes after digging and mulching the bed soil ..
The little yellow tomatoes self sow , but did not do well this year , do to lack of me caring for them ,, If I finish I will do another garden bed , only that is not too likely ..
I was "out of it" and the beginning of this season , and the vegies all suffered my lack of doing ,,
I found a Peony today I had completely forgotten about .. (that's not good forgetting about plants ..
Cindy , What is growing in your Tuffa pots ?

Hobart, IN

My favorite one, a rectangle, holds some Japanese painted ferns that survive the winters in the pot. I have a long narrow one, fashioned from a plastic window box, that sits on top of a concrete block wall. The third one is a round shallow bowl. The last two hold annuals to brighten up areas.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I always enjoyed the round shollow bowl type planters .. they got way too . you know ,,
Well I will practice awhile .
Setting up trays for plants , doing general cleaning , rain , rain , rain ,,, One rainy fall so far ,, makes for lots of tree color ..

Hobart, IN

The colors started popping here this week. Lots of yellows from hostas, non-oak trees like maples, serviceberries. I think oaks take longer to turn, maybe due to their leathery leaves? Supposed to get drizzles today. I'm watching yellow squash, waiting for them to get big enough to harvest. And still have a few cherry tomatoes. Might try saving some seed from them - 'Reisentraube' - since I used the last of the packet this year.
Am drying out some Lobelia syphilitica seeds and still have to check if they're good candidates for winter sowing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.