Wild berry ID?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

These fairly tall shrubs/trees grow on our street wild and have beautiful berries. Anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by Entlie
(Zone 9a)

I believe they are Elderberries. My grandmother used to make Elderberry wine.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Did you see the flowers in the spring/summer? That would clinch it for Elderberry since they are fairly distinctive. Only other possibility - if they are really tall - is Carolina Cherry Laurel - a real pest of a tree because it makes a gazillion seedlings. That said, I think Ardesia is correct.
Deb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Ardesia and Deb. I did not see the flowers in spring/summer. Googled elderberries and it says they are good for cookiing, but also easily mistaken for another toxic berry.

Putting a note on my Google calendar to check out the flowers next spring.

(I grew up picking chokecherries in Wyoming and am wondering if they are similar - tart and seedy but strong and delicious).

Entlie

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Elderberry blooms will have a nice lovely vanilla like scent. It can get extremely large (the first photo is after I hacked it back to 6 feet last year - it is now about 10 to 12 feet)

Second photo are the berries ripening (they will be blackish when fully ripe). Thousands of little berries that will all go to seed - be ready to hoe or spray to keep them under control.

The scent of the blooms has a very nice aroma and the blooms go on for a few weeks in early summer.

The last photo shows ripened berries from two years ago.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Good Info - thanks!
Entlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images