SOLVED: What is this and how do I care for it?

Bloomington, IN

Hi everyone,

Here is another plant that I just got from a colleague. She calls it a friendship plant but it didn't look like what I found when I googled friendship plant. What is it? How do I best care for it?

Thumbnail by TDP
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Its called a String of Hearts, Ceropegia woodii

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

String of Hearts are succulent type plants, meaning they need less water than an average houseplant. Plant in cactus potting soil and give it bright light (but not direct sun).

They grow tubers (2 or 3 inches long) on the surface of the soil and small tubers along the stems. New plants can be started from these tubers by laying them on the surface of the soil. They are constant bloomers so are a little messy - dried flowers drop constantly. If the vine gets too long, wind it back into the pot to increase the size of your plant or cut them off at the length you want the plant to be.

If you re-pot, or add tubers to the pot, keep them on the surface.

Daisy

Bloomington, IN

Thanks so much!!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

You are welcome! My grandmother had one with HUGE tubers. I have never seen one since with tubers that size. I suspect her plant was pretty old as my tubers have never been more than an inch or so.

Daisy

Sewell, NJ

Quote from DaisyPlantLady :
You are welcome! My grandmother had one with HUGE tubers. I have never seen one since with tubers that size. I suspect her plant was pretty old as my tubers have never been more than an inch or so.

Daisy

I think the tubers form as the plant ages. I have one that is around 25 years old and it has those big tubers too. I just divided it this year to share with a friend, since they have become a popular plant (thanks to Instagram) and are now ridiculously expensive and harder to find in stores. Last week I felt like I struck gold when a local garden center got a shipment of them in 4 pots - $17.99 each! I bought 5. I think the old one I have cost less than that for a 10 inch hanging basket at Depot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.