Hey, where is everybody?

Englewood, FL

Help, I'm bored,16 days without a post, that must be some kind of record, so I thought I'd shake the tree & hope something falls out, someone must have something to post. I'll start something off with a 1/2 bowling ball turtle with racing stripe.

Thumbnail by ifantail Thumbnail by ifantail
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Turtle with a racing stripe, that's very creative. :) What did you use to cut the bowling ball?

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

SHEESH! ! ! I typed out a reply, sent it, (I thought), and it disappeared. Wonder if it's floating around out there in cyber space somewhere. . .
So I'll try again.

What a novel and original idea! He (she?) is adorable!

I 'lurk' here pretty often, but haven't had anything to post. Over a number of years, I've collected all kinds of 'stuff' with the intentions of creating some 'trash to treasure'. So far, it's not gotten past the good intentions stage, and you know what road they say is paved with good intentions... . ..

Maybe one of these days. Sigh.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes, me too, I want to know how you cut the bowling ball???

Englewood, FL

Cutting it took a little time, first I marked a guide line around the center of the ball hoping that both ends of the line would meet together on the other side, I started the cut with a hack saw just deep enough to make a guide for a "recipacating" (sic) ( even spell check couldn't help me with that one) saw to finish the cut, you will have to make a jig to hold the ball steady or have someone hold it while you cut.
PS. If you happen to run across a guy named Aesop, tell him that we're looking for his hare.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I've had a bowling ball for a long time and my husb. says it can't be cut perfectly straight in half. we have lots of power tools in his shop so I know that's bull. I will try your method. If it doesn't cut perfectly in half I won't die over it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I want to paint a lady bug on it.
Thanks much for the info.
Bonnie

Hehehe.. I'm with you Bonnie. Who SAYS we can't cut that??? WHAT do you THINK those power tools are for?? LOL

Englewood, FL

Yes it is hard to cut it so both ends meet, a little chiseling will fix it, a band saw would work better. Bonnie, you don't have to cut it to make a lady bug, I didn't, check Sept. 27 post.

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, you guys are going to get me started on bowling balls again. I found two at a garage sale months ago. One already cracked from being outside so I moved them into the guest bedroom. I should tile it, I love the "collage" balls on the balling ball post. Turtles would be good for the other one, I have a pet tortoise, Titus, maybe he would like a friend.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Love that turtle.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have a couple that have cracked from being outside, should be easier to seperate now. I was going to mosiac them but since they are cracked humn.

Pictures are too little in the forums or I am too old...lol

Happgarden, have you clinked on the pictures to open them up larger?

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

I went ahead and tiled the cracked one I had. A little adhesive caulk and you're ready to tile! Wish I could say I had some wonderful project to show you guys but I just started a new "annuals" garden and have been seeding. I may have to try to cut one these bowling balls I have sitting around here, How about making one a mushroom cap? I do like the turtle idea though, I have a pet tortoise so it would be a perfect companion for him.

A companion, how cute!

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love this idea and if you cannot cut the bowling ball you could bury half of it in the ground...just a thought.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I meant the pics are so small when you first come into a forum, especially like trash to treasure, some ideas I don't open because it is something I can't won't or not interested in trying, others are so appealing I cant resist reading, but the pics are so darn small until you get into the forum.

Englewood, FL

psychw, clicking on the picture will make it bigger, on some sites & email pics. ( not this one) hold down CTRL & roll the roller on the mouse. No need to thank me, it's my civic duty.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not bowling balls but bowling alleys!! They've been resurfaced with a very dense laminate, something like 3/8" formica, since the seventies. We got a heads up on a small, eight lane spot turned alley/brew pub that was installing new lanes. The original maple floors below were also torn out. Unfortunately the wood is not practical to reuse because it's horizontally nailed, not toe-nailed and impossible to pull apart. But, SO made this wonderful eased floor piece for under my sewing & computer table. It slides with my movements so readily that it has eliminated the strain sewers experience. Fabulous! The second photo is a trivet for SO's bedside. He also made me two huge pasta boards since pasta making requires a larger surface than cutting board size surface. Oldest son salvaged the remaining lanes and eBayed them to a guy building a bar.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

That is gorgeous and would sure be nicer than the floor protector I use! LOL

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I had a floor protector on the carpet and didn't realize how much drag their was until it was replaced by this very solid base. I absolutely love it. Just need time to sew. The pieces cut for making pasta, bread and pastry have proven to be excellent surfaces as well. The downside is even small pieces are very heavy and cutting the stuff eats saw blades. I've got one six foot piece left. Maybe an outside table top.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.