What kind of sand should I buy?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I finally gave in to "The Gimmies" and got some Eremurus from Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Varieties are: 'Cleopatra' and 'Spring Valley Hybrids'. My plan is to plant them by a south-facing concrete porch faced with fake rock. Right now I have Hollyhocks there, which thrive but I am tired of the rust and flopping, and they are a bit too tall. As my soil is clay, I thought I might buy some bags of sand, heap it up about 6-8 inches, and just plant in that. Has anyone done this? Can I just buy "Play Sand" from Lowe's? How about going to a Sand and Gravel place, do they sell bags or do you need to buy a truckload?

Natick, MA

Mimi,
these are really pretty! A fellow DG-er told me that sand used to amend soil should not be the "construction" type of sand which tends to get heavy and "plug up" for a better word, that the play sand was more grainy/pourous. BUT I am not an expert.

HI valal- I just got back from Lowe's. I got 2 cu ft pf "All purpose sand", rather than the kind for between bricks, plus I got 0.5 cu ft bag of "Paver Base" which is fine gravelly stuff. I will mix in some potting soil or compost or something organic, because B&B say Eremurus likes 'rich' soil. We shall see. The sun just came out so I will do this today!

Natick, MA

Would love to see photos of yr blooms next year :-)
Hope they Do well!

They survived the winter!

Thumbnail by Pistil
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

They're looking good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.