after the Chrysanthemum bloom

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I noticed several articles on Chrysanthemums this week. After the blooms fade, should they be cut back or left alone?

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Hi, I am assuming they are Fall-blooming, hardy Mums.

I had mums in 5 colors. After they bloom, I cut them down to the soil. I cut all my perennials down, except iris and daylilies only to 4". I don't have the time to do it in the spring and it is easier to rake leaves if there is no growth. Also, It is easier to cut stems while still green instead of when they are dead by Spring.

Below are the mums I grew, now replaced by daylilies.

Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Blomma - Pretty mums in the pictures. I assume these are the mums you cut down to the soil. Will you expect these mums to come bask next year???? I'm like you, I don't have time to do the cutting back in the spring. I have never cut my mums back in the fall/winter. I may give that a try, as I have the time now. You are in a colder climate than I am, so I may give it a try.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Oh yes they came back every spring to bloom in the Fall for 6 years. The clumps grew wider each year and are easily divided. I finally donated them all to my local extension service for their annual spring plant sale. Now have more room for daylily and seedlings.

All plants can be cut down in the Fall when they stop growing. Will not harm them.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Most interesting, I appreciate you getting back so quickly with the mum cutting back info. I'm not sure why I thought they needed to keep their stems thru winter for pruning in the spring. Silly mindset I guess. I have lots of mums, (probably well over 50) and I have divided them a great many times in the spring. Some I have noticed, over time, are hardier than others and what I have now are the hardy of the hardy. So look out mums, I'll probably jump start your pruning. The ones in the row I may even give a lawn mower trim.............. couldn't get much easier than that.

I'm all about short cuts anymore. My gardens are huge and getting bigger. Must cut back on work somewhere.................and I sure don't want to cut back on flowers. HA! Addicted I guess.

You comment that ALL plants could be cut down in fall when they stop growing - I take it you were not just talking about mums?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

No, I cut back nearly everything too. But I do have little name tags on many plants so I am sure to find them in the spring and start them off with a good dose of organic mix. If you have several of the same plants together, you probably don't need the marker.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

I made a chart on paper where everything is. Also, take a photo of your plants when they are blooming can act as a chart. That is what my photo of the mums became.

Below are some mums that are so pretty but not hardy over winter in my climate.

Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, they are beautiful! Do you remember their names?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.