Larix Laricinia
(don't hate) Euonymus Alatus

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the new thread!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

(don't hate)

Well...that's just asking for it!

I've posted many pictures of simple old Viburnum dentatum with fall color equal to or exceeding what you are illustrating - and that's all you get out of E. a.

Instead, you are giving up a full flowering display season that contributes mightily to your local pollinators/bugs, a powerful fruiting season which contributes to your local fauna/birds, which then contribute seedlings back into the wild THAT YOU WANT instead of what is considered invasive in your part of the world.

There are many other choices than easy-peasy viburnums too, but you knew that when you posted...

Thanks for the ventilation opportunity.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha VV! To be fair, these fellas were planted in '10 and '11 so that was before my immense amount of learning via DG. Nonetheless, I very much like the look of E. A. and I think it looks great as is, not trimmed. I even treat it in the spring to keep the aphids off it so it can grow to its optimum...LOL Oh but VV I know there are many other choices that are better for the environment and furry friends but nonetheless, these two will continue to have a place in our yard.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have finally removed ALL the intentionally planted Euonymus alatus from our yard, including a huge one my wife planted 25-30 years ago. The impetus was that volunteers kept sprouting throughout our woods despite its thick layer of leaf litter. Not wanting our woods to be taken over by this invader we put much effort into search and destroy missions, and began removing the several that had been planted around the house. These efforts will no doubt have to continue for a couple of years to be sure they are gone.

When one grows this plant they are also spreading it in neighboring yards and tragically into nearby natural areas too.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, greenthumb99 - well said.

I still find the occasional seedling trying to grow - leftover seed from 1989 when we moved to the Valley and I planted one from a landscape project elsewhere. I grubbed the parent plant out no more than three or four years later - it was crowding my 'Big Daddy' American Holly - but ten years later I'm still seeing them germinate.

Diediediediediediedie....

I don't even have an image in my database to bust on you with.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh well. The closest woodsie area is a mile away at least and the rest is agricultural. Anyway, like I said, don't hate..LOL

The lighting isn't ideal, the site isn't full sun, but,
Viburnum trilobum 'Redwing'

Thumbnail by sallyg

Dude, I 'heart' you but I hear feeble excuses...
;^)

But given that just about every other commercial landscape includes these things, they'll never trace it back to yours.

We know what's going on. And someday, there will come a time when you NEED those spots for something else.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well the important thing is that there will not be any additions of said offender and most of my shrub efforts this past year were made with the intention of benefiting wildlife. I like your V. Trilobum. I'd like to get one of those for myself but I'm not sure where it would go. Eventually we will be getting a shed and the shed will need some shrubs around it. That might be first on the list. How well do they do in a shaded environment?

I better let VV validate that site selection.

I, who cast a stone, is enjoying the yellow foliage on my 'No-way' maple by the back door. With that, and the other back in the corner, every morning now 'looks' like a sunny morning because of their bright yellow fall color. If it's hard to give up a shrub, I say it's harder to give up 40 years of a shade tree that gives your deck a choice of am shade or sun in spring and summer.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Such pretty colors on that viburnum.

The viburnums in my (and neighbor's) yard are still all green. But the clethra is now a lovely shade of yellow.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I hear you Sally but I won't get on you about your maple. I actually like Norways too. Their seeds are far less bothersome than either of the neighboring Red Maple and Silver Maple. The yellow autumn color is a nice shade of golden yellow, which, in time will go nicely with the yellow of our Gingko.

Red maple seems to be the one of those three ( I have some of each) that gives me the most actual volunteers. But they don't get big- it's Norway volunteers who seem to be the survivors, especially in the hard to grub places, like along fences. Still, mulberry tops maple for most unwanted volunteers here.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh my, I HATE mulberry volunteers. HATE, HATE, HATE them!! If you don't get them when they're young, they get a taproot and then grow back if you don't get it all.

It's funny, I never get any Norway volunteers from the neighbor's tree. That's probably why I don't mind it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

At first I thought you meant the red maples themselves don't get big, not their seedlings... LOL My parents have a red maple that was planted when i was just a sprout and now occupies much of the front yard. :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...you know what I just thought of? This really annoying kid in second grade a guy named Alan Naso used to call me sprout because I was smaller than everyone else...LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Seq, your Larix laricinia is beautiful....and an infrequently planted native!

Now about those Euonymus alatus: they will reach 15' x 15' fairly quickly if you don't prune them. Just think about how many other shrubs you could fit into their places...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I haven't ever seen a Viburnum trilobum anything before. I like it.

Has it had better color in previous years? I ask because some of my plants are underwhelming this year. My Hamamelis vernalis usually has stunning yellow leaves, but this year most of them just turned brown, and my Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset' had no red leaves.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Man, I never thought I'd hear so much stuff about my E. A...LOL, it's quite funny. Anyway, they are right next to my neighbor's E. A. too. You guys are too much fun!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I will miss mine, but David is just SO happy to be rid of them. The last one to go was there for probably 30 years, but I don't think it approached 15 feet. It did do a number on the retaining wall, though. Loved the fall colors, but we sure did get an abundance of volunteers.

A development 2 streets over has hedgerows of them.

Billy Wells was my 2nd grade nemesis. Such a mean dumb boy. Does every body have specific memories of these early experiences with meanness? I guess school IS often the first place you get stuck with people who aren't nice, besides your siblings.

Yeah critter, I meant I find tons of tiny red maple seedlings but they never seem to get past a few leaves.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I have many experiences with childhood meanness. It wasn't until about 11th grade when I stopped becoming the butt of jokes. Ironically, that was also the time when I stopped caring...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Seq, I'm sorry to hear that. I bet they stopped teasing you because you didn't let them get to you any more. Karma will get them.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm with Muddy - I like to think karma will get them in the long run. What goes around comes around. I was neither in with the popular crowd nor picked on either. I think of myself as always in the background.

LOL Pat, it looks like David is finally getting control over all those beautiful "thugs" he inherited when you guys got together...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh well, past is past, it's not like I was getting wedgies everyday or anything...LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Always being the tallest in elementary school(yep, including the boys) I was never physically picked on, but had some nicknames. At my 40th high school reunion, some of the guys actually apologized for calling me those names. I had always kind of figured those names were terms of endearment and they didn't really bother me. LOL

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ugh....kids are terrible aren't they? There was this geeky girl in junior high and a lot of people called her a name and we all though it was hilarious. She also went along with it because she enjoyed having a 'special' nickname. That is until she found out the meaning of said name, then she was super upset and offended. It went on for a good several months before she figured it out though. Terrible, terrible. I totally understand the whole bullying campaign out there now.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

A view from the kitchen window just now. I love the Coppertina and the kousa dogwood and the amsonia hubrechtii.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

No pic Jan :(

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oops!! Here ya go

Thumbnail by Jan23
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That is a nice view! Amsonia hubrechtii is hard to photograph, isn't it? It's always moving in the wind.

Pretty colors Jan!

I'm waiting for my amsonia to get full like that!

The only colorful part of garden now.

The yellow at the bottom is chrysanthemum pacificum. The pink is muhly grass. The blue is native asters. The crape myrtle has a nice orange-burgundy color that isn't showing up well here.

Hm, why is it sidways??

This message was edited Nov 12, 2014 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by ssgardener

Its still pretty ssg. I turned my laptop!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm amazed that you still have so much in bloom, ssg! That's a beautiful combination.

My Muhly Grass is new and scrawny. Here it is with Amsonia hubrichtii and Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'.

Thumbnail by Muddy1
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Was thinking as I drove my route this afternoon of the incredible pallet of fall leaf colors and how kids in school would collect leaves and make a book...and then I spied the biggest tree leaf I have ever seen 30 inches long by 18 inches wide. Big Leaf Magnolia - Magnolia macrophylla Neat native tree.

Thumbnail by coleup

Coleup, how cool! One of our former contributors found one in Catonsville, my old stomping grounds, and I had to find it. It has seedlings (I don't think they could be suckers) around it. It's in the woods of CCC, which used to be an estate. So we guessed it could have been planted. But your find makes me think it is still within its natural range. You'll have to tell me sometime where this one is. I'd love to see them bloom. The one I already know of is tall and thin, inside other trees, any bloom would be way overhead.

Kinder Park has another native deciduous magnolia, not Bigleaf, but leaves a good foot long.

I love learning about our woods and discovering its not all a uniform solid mass of a couple known (to me) species)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I remember making leaf books or ironing them between sheets of wax paper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.