Using a backup on a newer computer

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Question...

My husband has a Sony Vaio that he loves... it's starting to have issues.
It's fully backed up onto a portable HDD

He has found a used Vaio on line and we are hoping that we can use the backup to "restore" the newer Vaio to what his current Vaio is. ~ Or backups do not work that way?

Next thing, if that does not work the way we'd hoped.... Just swapping out the hard drive, putting his HD into the newer computer... that would work, correct?

He is a man that does not like change. He likes the size of the Vaio and wants to stick with it.

Thanks in advance.

Terese

This message was edited Dec 7, 2014 8:11 AM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a Sony Vaio that I used to love. As of this last summer Sony announced that they are no longer in the computer business. Mine started acting up. Needs a new cable. I called Sony and asked for the part number and cost. "We do not sell parts." I asked for the address of their repair facility so I could send it in. "We do not fix computers." I doubt it is worth much time and/or effort to keep your Vaio running. Gene

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Gene,

the one issue he is having is with the connection for the power source. Bought a new cable -- that wasn't the problem... it is most likely the part that connects to the mother board.

I did tell DH he'd be buying an obsolete computer... but then, he used a Toshiba Lobretto for 10 yrs....

If he can get a few yrs out of this new / used Vaio, he'll be a happy man.

He found just about every part available - probably on eBay, since that is one of his fave shopping sites.

[I think his current Vaio is 4 yrs old.]

I don't think the exchange would be a great idea. If your husband doesn't like the changes, it's better not to try experiment with the HD. I lost all my work for http://bookreportwriter.com/write-my-book-review.html 43 pages of the work done - and when I changed the HD - everything disappeared. I kept the paper in a private disk section where it must have been safe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.