My Siamese lost her black shorthaired friend

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Three years ago a good friend of mine left for New Zealand. He could not take his 16 year old black domestic shorthair (Tiny) and his 4 years old Siamese (Sophie) so I took them. I grew up with cats and they have been lovely companions, being spoiled and brushed and being adorable as only cats can be.

Last night, at the age of 20, Tiny passes away. He had some of the illnesses older cats had, and I had taken him to the vet two days ago. He seemed better and had a little dinner and I cuddles with him on the coach and put him to bed but he passed away during the night.

His companion, the Siamese Sophie, is clinging to my side. She seems to understand what happened. I know that Siamese cannot be single pets, and that I must find her a companion. It is hard to do but I know I must start my search. I am in northern Illinois. Does anyone have any insight as to where I can get a middle aged Siamese? I would very much like to rescue a cat, as these two adorable creatures were rescues.

As you can see, they were very close.

Thank you.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I called the office of the vet who cared for my cat and they gave me a great no kill shelter, and I have found a couple of cats that are the same age as my Siamese, who is missing her companion terribly. One of them in particular has a calm temperament and gets along with other animals. I have approached them about this adorable creature.

So kindly disregard this request.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry for the loss of your Tiny. {hugs}

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Thank you for choosing rescue. One saved, and it makes a spot for another one.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I wholeheartedly agree. I hope it works out, DonnaMack.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you all. I am still comforting my little Siamese - she is like velcro! I think the acquisition of a another domestic shorthair is just what she needs. It keeps me from Boo hooing. I do miss my baby!

I gave Tiny him a very proper funeral and he is at peace. Another family cat died about four years ago and is buried by a marker, near which I put lily. Tiny has bricks and will get flowers in the spring, perhaps transplanted daffodils, tender annuals in the spring and perennials in the fall. I have had a pet since the age of six - a wonderful German Shepherd who saw me through college, and since we had a big house we always had about 5 cats. That's when I Iearned that they should be kept safely indoors - several lived past 20 - one to 24!

I think helping another cat will help me too!

Happy New Year, everyone, and thank you you again for your kind thoughts and support.

Donna

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Sometimes they get out anyway. We had one that lived in our garage and she made to around 20 years old.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

So sorry for your loss. But so glad you are willing to get another so soon and a rescue! I am sure Tiny is purring down on you!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a lovely thought!

I must get another for the sake of my little Siamese. She misses her friend. And I am communicating with the mother of a lovely little cat who is about the age of my cat. A very special kitty that is social and calm. And so lovely. A mix breed shorthair. Having had one I value them for their health, and mine had a wonderful temperament.

This cat is from a no kill shelter. I love that!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

It's hard to lose a pet. When we lost a young cat several years ago, she had been "adopted" almost immediately by one of our siamese. He fell in love with her at first sight, and they were inseparable. We had three other siamese, who weren't interested in her at all. When we lost her, we were devastated as she was so young. But poor Sammi grieved even more, and his health declined over the next year and he eventually passed too. Our vet suspected he had some kind or cancer which I am still convinced was caused by his grief. Our immune systems are affected by stress, and he never got over her death. I'm so glad you are looking for a companion right away for the meezer, she will be happier with a friend. And a rescue, you are wonderful!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My Siamese was lonely so I pushed myself to look. I found this lovely flame point Siamese - quite rare, at a no kill shelter in Naperville, IL full of beautiful, healthy animals. If you ever want to help a really nice person find a pet, this is the place.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/31019910/

He was on a college campus. They speculate that a student brought him to campus last fall and then, well, acted like a teenager - lost interest. The cat was living on campus. This is a very unusual cat, extremely demonstrative. He throws himself into your lap and gazes into your eyes and rubs your face with its paws and growls like a wild cat. He is actually a relatively rare breed,

A professor became suspicious and started trying to track down the owner of the cat, since it was getting cold. When he couldn't find one, he took the cat to a shelter, which took it to Feral Fixers (guess what they do?), which brought it to this wonderful shelter in December, which is quite unlike any I have ever seen. Animals are grouped by personality in big, bright rooms with toys and cushions and cat fountains. In one, three different cats climbed into my lap.I've never seen such well adjusted animals - dogs too. They have created a kitty paradise.

Several other people had applied for this cat. The application form is four pages long. They rejected two other people. One wanted to declaw the cat, and the other wanted to let it outside. No. There are some older cats that will always live there. I met a pair of 14 year olds who hang out together. I would have taken them both if I could! But this cat had only been there a month and they wanted to get him a good home quickly. I came in to look at a different cat, but that one wasn't ready. So they said they wanted to introduce me to this one, and it was love at first sight. He was thoroughly examined again, given all his little tags, food, a blanket and toys.

He is so wonderfully affectionate, that he has actually managed to heal the hole in my heart that Tiny left. I would not have believed it to be possible, at least not so soon. They said that Bennett is not his real name, and he did not respond to it, so I could rename him. Given his wild meow, I have named him Jackman (after Hugh).

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You are right, flame points are not common, they aren't in high demand like the other darker pointed types, but they are lovely and smart. But then, all siamese are smart. This worked out so well for you and you have a happy family again. Congratulations on a job well done.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you! I was more interested in finding a cat in need. I have a seal point. I was actually looking for a cat that would be harder to place, like a black short hair, since a large part of my goal was to rescue a cat. But they thought this loving creature was perfect for me, and they were right! I have fallen in love.

Donna

This message was edited Jan 18, 2015 3:41 PM

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Funny how they choose you in spite of your intentions. My DD and I stopped at our local shelter one day with no intention of leaving with a cat...but a little gray tabby came home with us because he insisted. Called him A1, the number on his cage and he lived to be 19.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

So sorry Donna to hear about the passing of your beloved Tiny. But just remember... Tiny will forever be deep within your heart and only a mere thought away. May you enjoy Jackman and find comfort soon.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How kind. Thank you.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just found out from the previous owner that my Tiny was in fact 23 years old! They got him as a rescue just after they came to this country from England - and that was 23 years ago!
I think I was kind of in denial about his age, and always wanted him to get to 22. I feel better knowing that he really lived an extremely long life and that I made him comfy at the end.

Speaking of comfy, I am getting great joy from the cat that was named Bennett, whom I have renamed Jackman. I took him out on my sunny south facing patio, where he very much enjoyed himself!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Donna,
I am so sorry. I remember when you moved in with them. They were so beautiful together. I'm glad you have found a companion. HUGS!

Sally

This message was edited Feb 16, 2015 4:00 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dear Sally, how lovely to hear from you! My little Jackman, so incredibly affectionate (he's in my lap right now) has really helped. And it feels so good to rescue this lovely creature.

A big hug to you too!

Donna

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think about you a lot, but have slowed down on Dave's. Four grandkids keep me busy and the three years olds are now able to spend the night. (I think about your yard too :o)

I'm glad you and Jackman found each other. I LOVE his name :o) One of mine is a little under the weather today, but has eaten and drank a bit.

Tiny was an awesome age!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

He is named after Hugh Jackman, because his meow is a ROAR!

But he is very mellow! I hope to get my two Siamese to be as close as Sophie (the seal point) was to Tiny (my 23 year old). It's a work in progress.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It took a while but now, all is bliss!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, they are so beautiful! I'm glad it's going well!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Was wondering how things were going. Glad to hear the good news.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Me too!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Such sweet people!!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, you are to :o)

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Lost track of this thread but happy to find it again. They look very content together. Siamese are just the best and smartest. Glad things are going well.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They are growing REALLY well. New thing - lots of mutual grooming. Lots of playing with them taking turns chasing each other. Even darling little face to face encounters that are blissful.

A long way from my newbie coming to me with a scratch on his nose!

It took several months, but it really was worth it!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We need a ''like'' button :o)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

An update on my babies.

All my Seal point Sophie wanted was a bud she could sleep on, the way she did Tiny. She missed him so much.

She has gotten her wish!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

That is so sweet. Glad she is happy again.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Love that.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Donna,
She looks so contented. I'm glad she has a buddy to lean on again.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They have become a very happy pair. They play tag, share their snacks, and curl up together. I love to come home to them. They meet me at the door (OK, I usually arrive home at snack time!) and are such lovely company.

Thank you everyone!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

A happy ending or is it beginning?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Snuggling is the most important thing in the lives of Cats and Dogs.
My Baxter snuggles with me at night but during the day, he snuggles with his big sis, Phoebe.
I have really gotten used to Baxter's snuggles and have a problem when he decides to lay ontop of the covers at the end of the bed. Heheh. He's a little hot body.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ves, good question!

It took me five months of separating them. My Siamese greeted Jackman with a hiss, and I noticed a few days later that he had a hairline scratch on his sweet little nose. So I had to keep them in separate rooms, which was tough, but the people at ADOPT (Animals Deserving of Proper Treatment) told me that Sophie, my seal point, would come around. I knew that Jackman was the right choice because, although four years younger and MUCH bigger and more muscular, he never laid a paw on her. The ADOPT people also told me that I could bring him back, but there was no way I would do that to a cat that had once had a happy home and then was on the streets for possible three months (even the comfy confines of a college campus, where he was treated very well). And he is such a people cat, always wanting to sit on my lap or curl up in my arms. Who could resist?

Gourdbeader, my seal point's second favorite place is the crook of my neck. Nice and warm. The three of us snuggle on the couch when I read, the two of them no more than a foot apart. So nice!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh yea, I know the couch snuggle well

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! That's wonderful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.