Short Clematis Please

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This is the time of year I shop catalogs and websites. I have a bunch of small obelisks I would like to put to good use. I am looking for Clematis from oh say, 3' to 5'. I am not too concerned with the color. Most are some color of blue/purple, and that color goes with everything.

Of course, I want easy, but please share any experiences/suggestions you have.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hope this helps: http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm

I've had Ruutel for a few years and it does get to be 6' tall. Arabella was a new purchase last year but it's a scrambling type (doesn't climb) so you should be able to secure it to a trellis and it shouldn't get big.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pirl. I like both of the ones you suggested. I will study the website soon. What about the gorgeous one you show that is white with a ruby edge? It's growing on a tree stump. What is the name of that one? It looks like a short one.

That's Omoshiro. I didn't see it at Hummingbird Farms but Brushwood usually sells it.

I just Googled it and they do carry it but are out of stock now:
http://www.gardenvines.com/large-flowered-clematis/clematis-omoshiro.html

I have three Omoshiro and this year I can see how tall the one on the tuteur gets. Last year I doubt if it got to 2' and the two on the rotting stump are around 2' but it's supposed to be much taller...6 to 8'.

Here you can see it doesn't go much beyond the top of the rotting stump, about 2.5 to 3', and isn't tall (yet) on the tuteur (the last Omoshiro planted in May of 2011).

Thumbnail by pirl
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Absolutely lovely. One of these days, I'm going to get one. Guess I need to order early. I think everyone wants that one.

Thanks. I should try layering it since that process works so well with Liberation and Duchess of Albany.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Layering to propagate?

Yes. It's so quick with spring growth!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.