Introducing my fur felons…..

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Introducing my fur felons…..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Seems like they've fled the scene. :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hiding under the computer?

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Well……that's embarrassing! I had even gone back and checked the post after I made it. Sorry computer gods. Let's try this again--
Introducing my pet, Peeve, a hairless Sphynx cat. Also my Great Dane fur felons, 57th Street Slick and Polo Pony. They can remove those 'Do Not Remove under penalty of law tags' in 1.3 seconds. The puppy picture is at 10 weeks, the other similar picture is only five months later.

Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni
Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

OK, I see it. Hopefully everyone else can too?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, how absolutely wonderful! What a collection. Love your great Danes - one of my favorite breeds. And that is the most beautiful Sphinx I have ever seen!

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

DM: I have raised, trained and shown Great Danes for over 40 years. They are the best breed in my book too. When showing you really have to stretch them out in a run but at only 5 feet tall and older than dirt now, that is getting almost impossible for me. And Peeve is more dog-like than cat. He rules the household, including the Danes. He will run them off their beds and food for he is tougher than nails. Love his demanding spirit tho so I don't think I will ever get another furry cat. Sphynx have to be bathed every two weeks or so, but luckily, Peeve loves water. But if I take longer than 10 minutes I get one of his LOOKS.

Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm a dog and cat person. I grew up in a major dog community and we had with a German shepherd/collie mix and a bunch of Siamese and Burmese cats. I manage two gardens and have regular love-ins with three Golden Retrievers and a Ragdoll cat. I read books about them. I've had Rhodesian Ridgeback and whippet pals. One day when I was running I was joined by a Vizsla.

An I had a good friend with an enormous Great Dane. The gentlest dogs in the world - well, he had to be. He was so huge that when he swung his paw over you had to grab it, for your own sake.

Aren't they great?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow! Great looking fur felons you have there, Oni. Beautiful Sphinx. I can see why the Egyptians were so enamored with them.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting Dr. Jim's article, he is a great source for the correct history of the Sphynx breed. There is also another line of Sphynx in Russia known as the Peterbald line. To register and show Sphynx now you can no longer cross them with Devon Rex for our gene pool is far bigger and the DR introduced some serious health issues into the line.
I have shown Koi fish, donkeys, horses, chickens, and Great Danes most of my life. The best people in the world seem to be animal people. I am betting that gardeners are probably a wonderful group of people too. Thanks for your interest.

(Oh, and Peeve never lets me forget that he should be worshipped as a god.)

Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I agree ... animal people and gardeners are special. :)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Boy, are you getting the stink-eye in that last photo. LOL

I am not a dog person, but for some strange reason I LOVE Great Danes. Probably because they are not really dogs, they are miniature cattle. :>)

Horses.............the one thing on my bucket list that I don't know how I am going to accomplish is I would just be sooooo thrilled if I could ride a well-trained Friesian horse. *sigh* (Yes, I DO know how to ride.)

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Anna, have to tell you a story. Lots of cattle were being rustled in my area and the cops could not figure out how they were being stolen. My muttmobile, a minivan with very dark windows, was pulled over because they saw the outline of the Danes in there and thought I was the cattle theft. The officer LOL when he saw they were only dogs!
We have the second largest draft horse show in the nation nearby and the Friesian horses are always a show stopper.

Thumbnail by OniOni
(Zone 9a)

Peeve is gorgeous and hysterical, I can see his personality coming through in your photos. He is saying "You know I am the boss here!". I am curious, why do they need to be bathed so often?

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Ardesia, All cats produce a protein known as 'Fel d 1' which is in the saliva and thus onto the skin during grooming. This protein is what causes most cat allergies. Unfortunately, some people think they are allergic to the cat's hair, making Sphynx hypoallergenic, and this is NOT true. Any cat that grooms itself will deposit this allergen onto itself. In hairy breeds this protein collects in the hair causing more severe reactions for people allergic to this protein. The skin and the dried skin particles (dander) also hold this protein and can make a hairless cat look dirty. We bathe the cats to remove this protein which can easily be seen in the "laugh lines" on our hairless cats. Notice the darker lines on Peeve, just before his bath.

Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I think Peeve is just gorgeous, I would love to touch him, they feel like suede. I have five siamese, two blues and three seals. They pretty much run the house, they certainly have my Dh well trained. Me, not so much!! I can outstare them. They are quite spoiled though. The last one is a rescue from the Humane Society, at twelve weeks and she is smarter than she needs to be but sweet as can be. She is still kitteny, and I suspect she is one who will remain so as some of our previous meezers were. The other four are playful but she coaxes them into romps even when they are more interested in sleeping.

That's Bonnie on top, Souky on the middle, and Tao on the bottom at about 9 months. They are all what used to be called appleheads and now, "traditional" I like the rounder heads. The second photo is Iris trying to swat Fiona. who chased her up onto the step stool. The third is Fiona claiming the chair as "hers". None of them have papers, mostly home bred by other crazy meezer owners but I've never had the urge to show pets.

Both the blues have "cobbier" bodies than the seals, and Tao used to have white around his eyes but as he gets older they have darkened. His body has stayed nice and white. He's a good boy but easily baffled by life, noise and things out the window. He was not well socialized and came from a bad breeder who kept the queen and her two kittens in a cold shed. She also, I found out later, ran a puppy mill. I got him because I simply couldn't leave him there.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2015 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by meezersfive Thumbnail by meezersfive Thumbnail by meezersfive
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Sheila, what kept you from rescuing the other kitten?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

$$$$$$$$$$$$ I only took enough cash to pay for one. Plus, he was even less socialized than Tao. Didn't want to be held or touched. It was near Madison we didn't even take a carrier with us...because I was unimpressed with the conversation I had with the woman. Tao curled up under my sweater and stayed there with his face hidden all the way home. He's still a nervous nellie, and will run if you come close to him too quickly. He's an odd little guy, but he's sweet and doesn't push the girls around at all.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2015 7:40 PM

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Kinda sad you have to pay dearly for an almost-abused kitten.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

http://messybeast.com/colour-charts.htm
Meezerfive, I thought you might find this site interesting. I'm more into studying color, heredity and genetics for my harlequin Great Danes, but some of the color concepts hold true for cats, goats, and other animals.
And I have to ask this of any Siamese owners…are they all so vocal?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

So beautiful. Now I see why your screen name is meezersfive. I've wondered about that. I hope the other one found a good home too. I deplore some of the breeders. Only in it for the $$$ :(

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Too true, I hope the state closes her down some day. And yes, it's common to find "blue" in color descriptions for other animals.

I am grateful that all our meezers are pretty calm and not too vocal. They will comment to get your attention, like when it's time for their late snack ( It's Taste of the Wild salmon and venison dry food but they think it's treats). Their two meals are wet food, grain free but they are crazy about the TOW and only get a small snack of it. Cats often don't drink enough water so it's good for them to get some extra moisture. Bonnie especially will yowl when she wants that treat.

Speaking of yowling, I always thought they were pretty quiet and just napped when we left for a while. But, one day years ago, we took off to go shopping, and a couple miles up the road had to turn back for something we needed As I walked through the garage to the door going into the house, I heard the most pitiful wailing, If you've heard a siamese in distress, you'll know what that is..........walked into the laundry room and saw our old Oskar giving voice to his concern that he was now a l l a l o o o o ne,,,, then he saw me coming in the door and had the most embarrassed face you ever saw on a cat. Oops. After that, i made a point of petting him for a bit before we went anywhere and assured him that we would return. I don't know if it really reassured him, but at least I felt better. He was a great cat. Lost him to kidney failure. This is him playing "fetch". 1994 or thereabouts.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Anna, do you remember what color Balvenie called his shelties???....Merle???

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I didn't know Balvenie.............but Merle would be right.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Sheila -- your crew is gorgeous. I've seen photos here and there, but never groups. Fiona was an adorable kitten. She's got to be a few yrs old now, huh?

Oni -- it'd be so cool to see a side by side compare with the Danes as Pups then grown, sitting next to that statue.

Terese

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Terese….I should take a current picture of the fur felons next to Sherlock, the statue. The second picture was only five months later and the boys have grown much more. I never notice how quickly the Danes grow unless I do this type of comparison picture. One minute they are 23 pounds and the next they are 180 pounds, it happens way too fast. Caralee (Oni)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

My daughter in laws parents have Mastifs... they are the same way.... small then huge in the blink of an eye.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.