Does anyone have an aquarium?

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I wasn't sure where else to put this, so here goes. I have a 125 gallon aquarium. It is about 11 years old, and the stand that came with it is beginning to degrade. I don't want to take the chance of the stand failing, so I am looking into a new stand. One made from square tubes of steel, welded together. This is a large aquarium (60" X 30" tall X 18" wide), and I wonder if anyone else has experience with a stand like this. It would be made by an aquarium company, so I feel sure it will be more than adequate for the weight. Also, I will have to completely empty the aquarium of everything; water, plants, fish, gravel, driftwood and rocks. What on earth can I put them in, and how long can they stay in something without the filtration, etc.? The stand takes about 3 weeks to complete, and I feel sure I could do the transfer in 2 days, but is that too long for the fish to be out of the tank? Any info on this would be helpful. I feel sure somebody out there will have had some experience with this kind of thing before. Picture below...

Thumbnail by happytail
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.
Get yourself a used aquarium on Craig's list, at the thrift store or in a yard sale. Lots of people get into aquariums and drop out. It seems there are aquariums all over the place for sale, all the time. Fill said aquarium with your current aquarium's water, transfer the fish, the water heater and plants in there. Connect your filter to that new temporary tank and you're off. Your fish and plants can stay like that almost indefinitely. The rest: rocks, driftwood, decorations, gravel, can wait in a Rubbermaid bin for their return to the aquarium.

I hope this helps.
Sylvain.

Now why didn't I think of that? I knew someone here would have a solution for me. And, petsmart has their tanks for $1 a gallon. And I can use that tank as a quarantine tank in the future. Yea! Thanks so much!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I'm glad I could point you in the right direction. And the world spins gently upon its axis.

Sylvain.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Is that pic in the first post upside down??? LOL

It is in the small pic, but when I click on it, it is correct. That's wierd?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Nope, still upside down when I click on to enlarge. LOL Was it taken with a phone?

Trying again?

Thumbnail by happytail
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Everything is fine this time. Thanks.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Hope everything worked out for you, just an fyi... a clean plastic trashcan will also hold your wildlife ... just make sure you have an air line in it and lid of some sort if you have jumpers or flyers.

I had to have surgery, so no lifting for a bit, and now work is crazy (spring in the garden center) and I don't have time to do it. But hopefully around June 1st, things will calm down, and I will be able to get it done. Will let you know how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.