Desert Willow zone 8

Onalaska, TX

We recently purchased a home in Liberty Hill with a desert willow in the front yard. The poor thing has been neglected and need some advice and suggestions on how to help make it healthier. Removing it is not an option, the ashes of the former owners mom are buried beneath it. Thank you so much for any help and it will be greatly appreciated.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Desert willows are a tough little tree, last year's ice storms did a lot of damage to my two because the sap had already risen. The drought we have been having did not help either.
What about it is not healthy? Dead branches? Part of the tree dead? Spindly?
Joy

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

They can normally be pruned heavily without a problem, that usually stimulates new growth and makes more flowers.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, we are neighbors!

Onalaska, TX

Thank you, I did cut out the dead branches but it doesn't have many leaves and only a few flowers. We bought the house last January so have had time to watch and give it some tlc with no results.

Our house is off of 201 and anxious to move in. It was a repo that needed lots of work but we could see the potential so went for it. Lisa where do you live in LH?

I'm on 202 just off of 200. I've been here over 20 yrs. After the severe heat and drought and the severe cold of the last 2 yrs my place doesn't look like a gardener lives here. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You could try adding some amendments to the soil such as compost and dry molasses and watering it was compost tea. Once it's leafed out, you could spray it with fish emulsion and/or a mixture of compost tea and liquid molasses.

Onalaska, TX

Thank you for the advise Stephanie and I appreciate everyone's input. Hope you and I can meet some day Lisa. The new yard has not one flower on it but plenty of weeds which we'll take care of once we're up there so I'm bringing all my pretties with me. We do have lots of pecan trees and a peach that had lots of fruit this year.

I have so many weeds, most in the form of grass, more then I have ever had and they got away from me. I'm sure we will meet, that is simply too close not to. Lol

Fort Worth, TX

I was considering this species as it seemed drought hardy. How did yours do after the amendments?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.