Spring RU Planning

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I know it may seem a little early but this will give us time to play around with ideas without rushing. lol

It's time to think about when we want to have the RU and where. Usually we have it in late May or early June depending on how bad winter is that year.

Location has varied over the years, last year was Sedalia, MO at a park.

So hit me with ideas and let's get the ball rolling!! :~)

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pepper. Sure, count me in.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Me too. Let's get some feedback for some of the others about location. I know that we'd hoped to secure the Bothwell site next time.

Here in a week or so I hope to kick planning into high gear. We will need to determine a site so we can reserve a shelter if needed. Don't want to miss out again this year. lol

I agree and Bothwell is $35.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Let me know how can help out. I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Alton, IL

Hello!

Depending on when and where it is, this sounds like fun. I'd love to join.

Location is still up in the air but we are open to suggestions. Last year we met in Sedalia, MO at Bothwell Lodge which is kind of a halfway point for those of you on that end of the state and those of us over here by KC. Greenbrain knows how long it took her to get here so she can give you an idea of distance. :~)

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Sounds awesome however Iv got stuff going on in may atm and Im going home in June, so depends on when??? Maybe I can send stuff with Betty if I cant go?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

That would be fine BC, but would be lovely to have you.

As far as the time and distance, I used Google map for those calculations.

Ok, guys we need to start kicking planning into high gear. I need to know if you want to have the RU at Bothwell Lodge this year or if someplace else sounds good. We need to get reservations in next month for shelter so we don't lose out.

Options for the dates are:

May 30th- after Memorial Day weekend
June 6th
June 13th

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015 7:37 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

June 6th would work for me. I don't know about Father's Day weekend.

I knew I would miss a holiday. Thanks for the heads up on that. lol

Ok, taking off that weekend as a choice due to being a family holiday.

Ok guys, it's getting down to crunch time for picking a date and reserving the shelter at Bothwell. Like Will said in the other thread we need to be quick in reserving it or it'll get taken.

Alton, IL

Hi all!

I've been chatting with Betty (greenbrain) about this spring's meet up. Betty suggested Gordon Moore Park here in Alton and since I live in Alton, she asked if I'd be willing to reserve a shelter since I can get the resident's rate. Which I am happy to do. SO......

I'm going to call the park tomorrow to make the arrangements. We're looking at June 6th. Once I get definite reservations, I'll post again.

Who is going to join us? If it's just me sitting in a lovely park in Alton, I'm going to be one sad puppy.

Hi Dyan! Sure, count me in, just curious, how much is the discount for Alton residents?
I think they have one for $40, which in my opinion would be expensive unless you get a nice discount, (about $15 or even half off).

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Alton is one of my favorite spots in Madison County; especially Gordon Moore Park. Thank you Dyan for all your help. Keep in touch as often as needed so that we can make this a fun memorial experience and worth the extra drive for our KC area DG family. I also discovered that GM Park has a free wood chip (mulch) pile. The roses will be in full bloom and spectacular on June 6! : )

Follow this link to a panoramic view of the rose garden with ample parking spaces.
http://www.alton-il.com/rosegarden.cfm

Again, here's a link to more info. about GM Park with a map and shelter prices.
http://www.alton-il.com/content.cfm?page=gordonmoore

Alton, IL

I've set up the reservation. :) Mind you, nothing is cast in stone yet.

The date is June 6th at Gordon Moore Park. There were three pavillions -- two small and one big. I picked one of the small ones with six tables. Choices were closer to the play area or closer to the bathrooms, and I went for closer to the bathrooms. (Don't know about anyone else, but the older that I get the smaller my bladder gets. hehe) The cost is $45. I thought it was a good price, but we can always shop around for something more to our liking.

The city is going to send me a contract and money is due at that time. So we have a few days to decide if this is what we want before cold, hard cash is on the line.

Count me in. I even have a friend who will probably be coming with me also. Another plant lover. :~)

I will also chip in for the shelter so you aren't absorbing the whole cost.

Everyone please chime in if you are interested. If we go for this I will start another thread here and in the Round Up forum and close this one. We decided to shake things up some this year by moving the location to make it easier for other people to be able to attend one and maybe we can get more people interested. The more the merrier!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I liked last year's Spring RU; less the rain shower. Maybe skip the grilling & have sandwiches instead?

That's what I was thinking. Be a lot easier and allow us more time to explore the park hopefully.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

You guys, I have all kinds of stuff going on in June.. I can't make it on the 6th. I'm so wishing it was a different month. If you have one in Fall, I will make every effort to join.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Debra, you will be missed. Maybe some cuttings from plants that you brought last Spring will show up, so it will be kind of like you're there.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'D LOVE TO MET UP WITH YOU FOR A DAY. dang caps lock. Nothing stopping me from coming up there weekend of my birthday. That is in April.

3 days before mine and Sally's. lol

Alton, IL

Hi all! The rental agreement arrived today. They need the money by April 1st. I don't mind paying for it; actually that might be best since everything is in my name and I'm the "resident" here. However, I will definitely appreciate anyone who wants to contribute. :)

As for food, I'll let you folks sort that out. I'm trying to stay more vegan than not, so I don't have an opinion either way on sandwiches verses grilling. But I'll definitely bring some veggies or fruit.... maybe baked bread..... the point is that I'll bring something to share with everyone.

Looking forward to this!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you again Dyan. We could not have done this without you!

Maybe we could have sandwich fixings, and build our own with a choice of bread, condiments, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, cheeses (like hot pepper cheese!), and deli meats, etc... That way we get our bread, veggies, dairy, and choice of meat or meatless. Just a suggestion. We do this sometimes at home for dinner. I always have oranges and apples on hand for snacking. I take one of each to work each day for a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. Fruit is good.

I'm with Pepper that I want to spend more time exploring the gardens, visiting with DGers, and less time preparing and serving food. I'm really looking forward to this roundup. I've got to start planning the potted plants that I'm bringing to give away. I guess that I'll start with the thorn-less trailing blackberries again. The Nanking cherries will be ripe, so I should have a bunch of seeds. Did anyone have luck with the garlic from last year? I have a bunch of garlic bulbs that I could bring again. I need to start a list.

I'm still waiting on the nanking cherries to come up in their pots. Do they take awhile to get going? I left them outside all winter exposed.

If I remember right, they sprout no later than June, maybe as soon as May. I did that exact same thing when Betty Mailed me seeds and they came up. The seedlings are now planted by the shed here.

K. I just wanted to make sure. lol.

To give you a better idea when they come up from seeds and what they look like, scroll down to my post on April 12th. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1355056/ . That's pretty close to when I first noticed them last spring. By May and June they should be grown good and about ready to plant. But I wouldn't plant them that soon myself as they're small and they fall apart in the fingers if their too small in my experience. I don't think I planted my Nankings until september or october. Pepper, here's that pic of the Nanking seedlings. -

I am gonna try to be at the ru and I would chip in my share of the shelter. I love roundups and seeing my old friends some more and meeting any others. I'm just kinda in a transition period so things are kinda up in the air. I'm moving this month and I also started a new job recently. I'm not for sure how their gonna do me on time off. Ok bp (Sally), happ (Joyce), country (Bernie), jw (Debra), ju (James) and badcat (Amanda). come on to the ru! And anybody else in the region, don't make me look up your names! Also anybody (lurkers too) that I'm forgetting. I see badcat can't come in May she says, it's June 6th, so see ya there Sister! Well okay Debra, I see you pooped out on us (tell Bonnie (AuntB) to come)! And if I remember right, Countrygardens Bernie said he oughta come because guys are in the minority! And all coming remember to bring your families and anybody that wants to come!
Well, time for bed.
Will
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Good for you Will. Nice post and well said.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Also, there's Horseshoe Lake State Park nearby for campers. Here's a link.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/r4/horsesp.htm

Here's all the state parks in this region depending on which direction you're traveling:
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/r4/region4.htm

If you're coming through Missouri:
https://mostateparks.com/find-a-park

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about traveling to Alton. It's is one of the most scenic areas in Central Southwestern IL with a rich history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton,_Illinois
http://www.alton-il.com/
http://www.visitalton.com/

Thanks, and thank you too Betty, good links there.

I love driving through Alton and always wish I could stop and really check it out. Before we found a faster route we went through there to go see family in Jerseyville.

Bernie, it is a must that you come!! And everyone else.

Thanks for the info Will. I knew it was sometime in spring they came up but now I have a better idea of when they should.

Well, I have to say I have some really impatient customers with major spring fever. I am getting calls for sod and for knockout roses everyday. Too early for both despite the warm weather!! lol

Alton, IL

Hello all! I'm sending in the check for the shelter this week. They need the money by the 1st, so this gives lots of time for any delays good old US Mail may encounter. :) I've never done this before, so what's everyone's preference on the contributions? I figure that we can either exchange checks on the day of the round up or we can do it before. I use paypal if that's convienient for anyone else.

I will mail you some money as soon as I get a chance. I'll dmail you when I reach that point here in the next week and get your address. :~)

I started a new thread for the RU.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1389301/#new

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.