Mail order source for Northern Lights?

Hobart, IN

Does anyone know of a good mail order source in the midwest for the Northern Lights series of azaleas? Greer Gardens keeps coming up but hoping to keep shipping costs down.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

[email protected] Jackson NJ

Hobart, IN

Thanks! Checked out the price for Lemon Lights - ouch.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Greer Gardens has it. I've bought from them before and their plants were very well packed, probably the best I've seen for shrubs. Be cautious if you have an issue though as they are very slow to respond and you have to keep following up. Now that I think about it, I need to change my feedback to neutral.

Hobart, IN

Thanks for confirming that Greer is still in operation. Doing a search for the plant, I came up with them but their page had a 2011 date on it and I wasn't sure what to make of that.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

If you're just in it for the color, Mountain Mist Nursery has a bunch of varieties of deciduous azalea, reasonably priced and they have excellent customer service.

Hobart, IN

Sequoia - I already have a few of the NL azaleas and have had luck with them. DGD is in love with my 'Northern High Lights' and wants one of her own. I've failed at propagating cuttings on that one. And I thought their 'Lemon Lights' would be compensation for dwarf 'Lemon Dream' which isn't hardy here.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I understand; just wanted you to be aware of a great vendor for plants of that genre. Good luck :)

Hobart, IN

I was intrigued by the woodland category at Mountain Mist but there's currently nothing available. :(

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's a bummer. I never noticed it before. I got three from them in the fall of '13. All lived the winter but a couple of them did not bloom because they weren't mature enough.

Hobart, IN

A couple of my NLs via mail order were small. I had found a couple more at Lowe's (believe it or not) in their 3 for $10 sales but haven't seen anymore the past couple of years.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

3 for 10? What a bargain!

Hobart, IN

Yeah - that's probably why I haven't seen any lately. In mid-summer, they would sell small shrubs at that price - barberries, ninebark, etc. Because I haven't gone looking specifically for those sales, I haven't run across them. I got 'Orchid Lights' and 'Rosy Lights' there.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice, you'll have to post pics in the spring of all your beauties in bloom.

Hobart, IN

No promises on the pics - I'm more of a worker bee. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I like to document growth so I take pics every year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.