HOW TO - Make faux sea glass Part 13

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Finally, an updated thread! Phew, I've been away too long!

We are here from our previous thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353042/

There are so many wonderful posts and wonderful people
on this thread, so many great ideas and shared inspirations.

Let's keep the thread going. There are links to the previous
threads, so you can always click back through to read the history.

Happy glassing!

P.S. The image is simply a shot inside a blue glass votive holder. :-)

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

JuneyBug, so many great things on that page, thank you for sharing the link!

Dahlonega, GA

I'm back and lurking

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Lurking too. :)

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

my grand daughter (10) asked for a tumbler for xmas ... We gave her the double one like I use. Guess I won't be getting my daughters wine bottles any more ....lol

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm lurking, too...

Dahlonega, GA

Budweiser makes beer in blue bottles . We don't drink beer and Johnny quit drinking two years ago . I haven't had a frozen margaretta in awhile . Have some in the freezer . Might just fix me one . LOL Two is my limit and three makes me goofy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

We have some of those blue Budweiser bottles. Hard to get the labels off, but they are a nice shade of cobalt blue.

Dahlonega, GA

I soak mine , then peel off with running hot water . Or soak and scrub off with Chore Girl type scrubber .SOS pad works too .

I use a razor blade to scrap them off after a soak in hot water they are a great shade of blue

Thumbnail by denimangle
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Too much work. ;-)

Englewood, FL

Cville, check the internet, "How to remove bottle labels" a lot of countries use different glues & different methods are required.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2015 4:14 PM

mulege, Mexico

You could try WD-40. It often works for me. kb

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That's a thought.

if they are paper & just glued on you can put them in the oven at about 350 for 30 mins to an hour they will pop off then you just have to scrap the glue...

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

I soak bottles in hot soapy water. That usually gets 80% of the labels to come off. For the rest, I use baking soda mixed with enough lard or cooking oil to form a paste. I rub the paste on the stubborn labels, especially the oohy glue, then scrub with Dawn dish detergent on a lil green scrub sponge. I might have to repeat the process a couple times, but they've always come clean for me.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

If only I had the time. :-)

mulege, Mexico

Someone on another thread suggested a hair dryer. I'm thinking that would either wowrk fast or not at all. Might be good while watching TV. kb

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

I fill the jars with water and microwave them! It makes most labels slide right off. You can also use rubbing alcohol to take off glue.

mulege, Mexico

Never heard of the microwave idea. I have to try it. Thanks for posting. kb

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, that sounds like a good one.

mulege, Mexico

Pinterest has a link recommending a mix of olive oil and baking soda. kb

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the info Elfie, you learn something new every day
I was pleased with my first batches, all blue glass from wine bottles, what sacrifices we make for our hobbies, I had to drink a lot of Reisling for those bottles!

NW Piedmont, NC

First post and quick question. I'm experimenting with a design using one old dish and an assortment of tumbled glass both clear (with dish detergent) and satin (with sand). My main question centers around the dish. Should it be glued to the glass right side up or top down, or is that a matter of preference? The way this particular dish is made, the points of contact or less if glued top down as the lip is convoluted/wavy. At any rate. Thanks! - I've read all the threads and have been amazed with the information presented and the creations of everyone here.

lastfling im guessing your doing a glass on glass.... its mostly a matter of preference.. point of contact is also important .. what are you using for glue

NW Piedmont, NC

You are correct - glass on glass. I'm using E-6000, I believe, for the glue. Thanks for the info!

Gladstone, MO

Just stumbled upon this thread. I noticed several of you have mentioned having issues with removing labelling. I do lots of bottle crafts. To remove painted labelling, such as on Patron Tequila bottles, many wines and Pendleton whiskey, place the bottle in undiluted CLR (mineral build up removal solution) for an hour or two. The enamel will then wipe off easily. I use a container slightly larger than the bottle, fill the bottle with water and allow it to displace the CLR to use a minimal amount of the expensive solution. Wash the bottle thoroughly after the process. also reuse the same CLR several times.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for sharing that tip littlekat333!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.